    Question: How much better can I expect reception to be with a
    specialized antenna - over the little thing that Pinnacle
    supplies?

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 23, 2007

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Stephen Guest

    Analog will have less ghosting. For digital, it'll improve the signal
    strength and you may be able to view the channels you can't see now.

    I'm using an amplified directional antenna with a rotator since the
    main digital OTA antenna farm it too far for a omni and a few stations
    are in different directions.

    A better newsgroup for asking this is alt.tv.tech.hdtv

    Stephen

    Stephen, Aug 23, 2007

  3. Per Stephen:
    Thanks for the NG name. I just subscribed.

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 23, 2007

  4. Then it isn't HD.

    With HD, if you are getting picture and sound, you are getting it all,
    and there is NEVER any picture degradation. If the bit error rate is too
    high, it will drop out completely.

    Sounds like your "HD tuner" isn't, or the damned thing converts the
    output into composite CRAP.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Aug 24, 2007

  5. I use pre-amped Set-top antennas, and get fine results. Sometimes with
    no amplification, sometimes with a lot of amp.

    One city I lived in allowed ALL of the channels to come in perfectly
    with a single antenna position. Here, I have to point it to five
    different directions.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Aug 24, 2007
  6. (PeteCresswell)

    root Guest

    By HD I think you mean simply Digital. It is not true that you either
    get no picture or a perfect picture with a digital signal. As the
    signal-to-noise ratio decreases there is a region in which you get
    breakups in the picture just like you do when you get pixillation
    while playing an imperfect DVD. Further decrease in S/N results
    in complete picture dropout.

    root, Aug 24, 2007

  7. most people, myself included consider picture breakup to fall into the no
    picture camp - you either get the picture in all its original quality, or
    you dont get a proper picture at all.
    many people will happily watch a slightly fuzzy analogue picture.
    they won't tolerate a digital picture with random breakup however.

    the dog from that film you saw, Aug 24, 2007
  8. Per root:
    I think you've nailed it. Sloppy use of the words on my part.

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 24, 2007
  9. (PeteCresswell)

    davy Guest

    Digital transmissions are usually 'multiplexed'... channels transmitted
    in a group, this usually calls for a wideband antenna, one that can
    receive over a group of channels rather than one designed for a single
    group.

    Digital transmission's are usually of lower power than normal analogue
    transmissions, unless the reception is exceptionally good any old
    antenna is not going to work, under these circumstances some channels
    will be received and others won't or picture freezing becomes an issue
    due to lack of signals.

    Indoor antennas usually suffers from 'ghosting', due to phase
    differences caused by signal reflections.

    All you need is a loss of a single packet of the 'data stream' and
    you've got drop out... just like Sky TV in a heavy rain storm.... or a
    skipping and jumping CD or DVD.

    Davy

    davy, Sep 5, 2007
  10. I get my locals in digital with an indoor antenna just fine. But can't
    get some of their analog channels at all with that antenna.

    And yes, you really can use just about any old antenna to get those
    channels just fine. All you are really getting when you buy an HDTV
    Antenna is a higher price.

    Lloyd Parsons, Sep 6, 2007
  11. Like Channels 2 to 69 isn't wideband enough? DTV is broadcast in the same
    frequency range as plain old TV. "Multiplexing" has nothing to do with it.
    And cover a wider area.
    Sure it will.
    Now this could be an issue. Signal reflections can cause reception problems
    and because of the location of an indoor antenna, reflections can change
    constantly.
    If that were true, no one would ever be able to watch digital TV.

    Kimba W. Lion, Sep 6, 2007

  12. Digital broadcast does NOT suffer from multipath distortion anomalies.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Sep 6, 2007

  13. The losses typically have to be greater than 10% bit error rate for the
    FEC to fail to correct for the missing data.

    The guy is nuts.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Sep 6, 2007
  14. (PeteCresswell)

    Stephen Guest

    OTA digital tv uses the same frequencies as analog tv.
    Some are at lower power to keep from interfering with a nearby analog
    channel.
    OTA digital tv is not affected by ghosting.
    I haven't seen that happen here in rainy Florida.

    Stephen

    Stephen, Sep 7, 2007