OT: Any AOL experts out there

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Roger Mills, Jan 23, 2015.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    I usually have to wash my mouth out after saying "AOL" - but needs must
    in this case!

    I'm trying to help an old (both in age and long-standing) friend of mine
    whose phone line is currently dead and who, consequently, has no
    internet connection.

    His internet service is provided by AOL and he *believes* that they also
    supply his phone service. [It appears that he only pays one bill each
    month covering everything, by continuous credit card authority].

    The phone line is *definitely* dead - I've checked it myself with a
    known good phone in the test socket. There's no dial tone, and no
    voltage between pins 2 and 5. [Openreach were doing something at a
    neighbouring house yesterday, and my hunch is that they inadvertently
    disconnected my friend at the same time.]

    The problem is, how to report the fault . . . Clearly, to get OR to do
    anything, it has to be reported to my friend's phone provider - but he's
    not *absolutely* sure who that is. When you Google for reporting AOL
    phone faults, you get pointed at TalkTalk. Is it likely that AOL
    subcontracts the phone line part to TalkTalk - or do they manage it
    themselves?

    Sadly, my friend has done everything on-line and can't find any printed
    evidence - with account numbers, etc - which will likely be required to
    report the fault. It seems likely to me that he will have received
    monthly bills by email which contain this information. But, as far as I
    can see, there are no emails stored locally on his PC - so I assume that
    they remain on the AOL server - which he can't access without being able
    to get on-line!!

    This is where the AOL expertise come in. In order to look for emails
    containing the relevant information, is there any way in which I could
    access his AOL account from my PC, using my internet connection? What
    information would I need? Would I need to load any AOL software (which I
    would be very reluctant to do)? Failing that, if he brought his laptop
    to my house and if I connected it to my WiFi, would he be able to access
    his AOL account over my internet connection - or is it tied to his
    connection?

    [Why the hell do people get themselves into this mess - having
    everything on-line with no off-line backup?!!]
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Jan 23, 2015

  2. Roger Mills

    Belperite Guest

    Yes. Call TalkTalk, give them the telephone number of the dead line and
    the subscriber's name, and take it from there. There should be security
    questions that your friend should be able to answer. Have fun...

    Belperite, Jan 23, 2015

  3. Roger Mills

    Robin Guest

    The phone line is *definitely* dead - I've checked it myself with a
    If the line is patently faulty when you dial it then it used to be that
    you could report that to *your* operator who checked the line and if
    necessary reported the fault. I've no idea if that works now but might
    be worth a shot if you have a landline.

    Robin, Jan 23, 2015
  4. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Well, surprisingly perhaps, I think we've made *some* progress!

    If you try to report a fault on-line, it insists on a TalkTalk account
    number - which I don't have, of course, and which my friend doesn't know
    where to find! But it also gives a phone number to ring, which gets you
    to an automated fault reporting system which is satisfied with just the
    telephone number of the failed line. So I managed to report the fault
    and, when I phoned again an hour later, an automated voice accepted that
    there was fault and gave me a fault reference number. I also managed to
    provide a mobile number (mine in this case) to receive text updates - so
    we'll see what happens.

    So I may not need to access my friend's AOL account in this case. But,
    as he gets older and less capable, I fear that I may need to do so at
    some point in the future. I would still welcome comments from anyone who
    knows about account portability, and AOL setup issues, etc. Particularly:
    * with the right userID and password, can you log onto an AOL account
    from *any* internet connection, or is it tied to a specific connection?
    * On a Windows PC, do you need any AOL-specific software?
    * Is there a way of downloading emails and storing them on your own
    computer for off-line access?
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Jan 23, 2015
  5. "Robin" wrote in message
    If the line is patently faulty when you dial it then it used to be that
    you could report that to *your* operator who checked the line and if
    necessary reported the fault. I've no idea if that works now but might
    be worth a shot if you have a landline.

    --
    Robin
    reply to address is (meant to be) valid

    Go to www.aol.co.uk . Click on mail (envelope icon at top of page). You will
    then be able to log in with your friends AOL screen name and password, and
    view his mail.
    I hope that helps

    Flowerpotgirl, Jan 23, 2015
  6. Roger Mills

    Wibble Guest

    Wibble, Jan 23, 2015
  7. Roger Mills

    Fredxxx Guest

    On 23/01/2015 16:27, Roger Mills wrote:

    I would suggest you look up and download Mozilla Thunderbird.

    If he knows the login credentials for his email account, then there's a
    fighting chance Thunderbird will automatically find the POP3 and SMTP
    server names for him.

    If he wants to leave emails for access through a web browser it's
    essential he ensures the "Leave messages on server" in server settings
    is ticked.

    Fredxxx, Jan 23, 2015
  8. Roger Mills

    polygonum Guest

    As it happens, I had a similar issue today for the first time. Setting
    up a W8.1 PC for someone who uses talktalk. Had to use their webmail to
    gain access to the email they sent when I tried to connect to them using
    Windows mail. But, provided you look up the server, port, etc., details
    on talktalk's web site it works fine on any random internet connection.
    Absolutely no software other than what comes with W8.1 was needed.

    polygonum, Jan 23, 2015
  9. Roger Mills

    Brian Gaff Guest

    Like so many brands aol are just a name now..
    I still have an email free account with lineone, which became tiscali which
    became talk talk etc.
    The whole thing is just a big illusion.
    Brian

    Brian Gaff, Jan 23, 2015
  10. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Roger Mills, Jan 24, 2015
  11. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    Openreach came out this afternoon, detected and fixed a discontinuity
    about 100 metres from my friend's house - and both his telephone and
    internet connection are now working again.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Jan 24, 2015
  12. IIRC you only managed to report it yesterday (Friday) didn't you?
    That fault repair response is better than BT Residential which for a
    before 1800(?) Friday fault report would have been by then end of
    Tuesday...

    Dave Liquorice, Jan 24, 2015
  13. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    I reported it at about 12:30 Friday, and they arrived to fix it at about
    15:30 on Saturday - so that's about 27 hours. The recorded messages said
    to allow up to 72 hours for a response - so my friend was probably just
    lucky.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger