osviews.com article

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O., Jan 4, 2004.

  1. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    from here.
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13384

    The article says that while the Open Source community has made great
    gains over the years in quality and quantity, hardware designs have
    perhaps been overlooked.

    It says that Apple and Microsoft make gains because many users do not
    actually want to make choices themselves, and like the easy choice of OS
    X or Windows.

    Or for the full article.
    http://www.osviews.com/modules.php?...e=article&sid=658&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

    "The majority of computer users want many of the tough choices that
    matter made for them so they can go ahead and make the easy ones as the
    need arises."

    "Linux has an identity crisis of sorts today. What is it really? Is it
    the kernel? Maybe it’s a particular distribution? Are all Linux distros
    the same? If so, then why so many? If they are different, which one do I
    choose? These are all questions easily answered by people who understand
    what Open Source software means, but they all are showstoppers to people
    who don't. Rather than bother with the answers to these, they are likely
    to choose one of the more clear and simple choices, such as OS X or
    Windows."

    The bits I've provided come across a bit negative, but it really is a
    good article, I just snipped the bits I found most interesting.

    T.N.O., Jan 4, 2004

  2. T.N.O.

    harry Guest

    I have seen similar articles every year since about 1999, they don't seem to
    make much difference tothe adoption of Linux by either the well informed or
    the curious.

    Not everyone who uses Linux has a stake in the adoption of Linux by the
    uninformed or the apathetic, they are new territory that only a few
    distribution companies have a strategy for.

    So yes I would agree with that, OSX or Windows are simple choices.

    Is that a problem ?

    harry, Jan 4, 2004

  3. T.N.O.

    Lennier Guest

    Lots of good reading on that website, and associated links...

    Thanks for posting it.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 4, 2004
  4. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    hey, no worries Len. :)

    T.N.O., Jan 4, 2004
  5. T.N.O.

    AD. Guest

    I have the same opinion, choice is one of the main reasons for using Linux.

    If having to make choices about your computer is scary or confusing, you
    would be better off with Windows or a Mac - actually probably a Mac, there
    are still plenty of (admittedly easier) decisions to be made with Windows
    too.

    I don't think Linux will really make much headway with non technical home
    users, and I think it isn't really worth the effort of trying to.

    Non technical corporate desktops are another matter though - those users
    aren't typically allowed to make any choices anyway and have to use what
    they're given.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 4, 2004
  6. Probhably most new Linux users see the PC as a hobby.
    Im surprised that Open Office hasnt taken off given the price of MS Office
    (but MS dropped the price of office, cheap for OEM, student versions. I wonder why)

    Steve Robertson, Jan 4, 2004
  7. T.N.O.

    Lennier Guest

    I know of a good, reputable PC company which is now supplying OO bundled
    with the computer instead of Micro$oft office.

    I mean, OO 1.1 is now very good, and OO 2.0 (presently under development)
    will be even better again!

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 5, 2004
  8. T.N.O.

    Ali P Guest

    That would be Quay computers? My flatmate bought a PC from them with the
    intention of bringing work home. The first Word document he opened caused OO
    to crash and when we did manage to get it to open the formatting etc was
    screwed up. He hit his work up to buy him a copy of MS Office instead.
    Apart from that however the PC was a great little machine, well made and put
    together (I had a wee peek inside the box).

    Ali P, Jan 5, 2004