OS X Isn't Bullet Proof, Either

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold, Sep 9, 2004

  3. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    why? Guest

    why?, Sep 9, 2004
  4. No surprise. No OS that I know of has been absolutely invulnerable from the
    start yet. The difference between closed and open source systems is the
    long-term availability of developer resources, patches and fixes from
    community support, even after the official end-of-life of a product,
    provided the product is still in use and widespread enough. There's also
    always paid support due to free availability of source code.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Parko Guest

    Cool. Get streamer, streamripper,Gthumb, Endeavour. I could go on and on.
    Get rooted...

    Parko, Sep 9, 2004
  6. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Thu, 09 Sep 2004 18:18:20 +0000, why?
    wrote this:
    *More* serious & *more* often. Nothing more serious than making the user
    an admin by default, IMO. That doesn't happen in linux.
    As for SuSE's security flaws: 30 since January 1st, but only 17 affected
    my installations. I wonder how many Windoze ones there were for the same
    period, not forgetting viruses too!
    I get reports direct from SuSE, & depending on *what* I'm running, they're
    installed within 24hours.

    --
    Author of:-
    Self-help video: Get Confident-Stupid!

    sqool, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:06:00 +0100, sqool
    wrote this:

    I should have said "well known O/S from Redmond, they are *more* serious &
    *more* often. Just to make it clear.

    sqool, Sep 10, 2004
  8. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I'll check them out. What I need to find is a SuSE Linux Pro *book* that
    matches the XP Professional Resource Kit book that will give me the
    technical information about the O/S I am looking for. Linux is not on my
    network just to be setting there and playing around with it. It's about
    those $$$$ I need to make with Linux and MS skills using .NET.

    Duane Arnold, Sep 10, 2004
  9. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    why? Guest

    Yea, I just did my first XP Pro a few weeks ago and was shocked at that.
    Talk about stupid.

    As you say it doesn't happen in Linux, but I sometimes feel more people
    simply use root anyway.
    MS seems to be hitting 40+ per year most of which are base OS/IE/OE
    critical. My own Linux systems 90% are updates to apps simply new
    versions and hardly for security flaws and some kernel updates. Many of
    the updates don't affect me either as they were for apps never
    installed, unlike some MS one's where simply having IE but even if it's
    never used was subject to several critical patches.
    I had that from RH , the RH Updates mail, very nice feature as well.
    Also hav never had a RH patch go bad on me like a few MS ones did.

    Me

    why?, Sep 10, 2004
  10. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:07:46 +0000, why?
    wrote this:

    ,snip>
    No, in all the years I've used SuSE, I've not had a bad patch (that I can
    recall) & I don't remember it breaking anything either.

    sqool, Sep 10, 2004
  11. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Mara Guest

    I'm quite fond of it - both versions run perfectly even though SuSE says it
    doesn't support the RAID. :)

    Mara, Sep 10, 2004
  12. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Thu, 09 Sep 2004 19:25:17 -0500, Mara
    wrote this:
    Excellent! :)
    I have a digital camera that isn't officially supported under linux,
    however I plugged it into the USB & SuSE found it, installed the DigiKam
    application, & I can access my pics without any problems. :)

    sqool, Sep 10, 2004
  13. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Parko Guest

    I thought SuSE provided a user manual for Pro with the boxed set at any
    rate. For general Linux information that is more nuts and bolts there are
    plenty of resources out there. Start with SuSE support and documentation.

    A good place to start is http://www.google.com/linux and
    http://www.tldp.org/

    For .NET you can investigate Mono
    http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html

    Good luck and have fun.

    Parko, Sep 10, 2004
  14. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Yeah, they do but the books are not at a level that I need or expect them
    to be. The books are not on the level of the MSPress XP Pro Resource Kit
    book.
    I'll check it out.
    I know about Mono as it's what made me interested in Linux.
    Thanks for the info

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 10, 2004
  15. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:17:28 +0000, Parko
    He's going to have to do a lot of online reading!

    sqool, Sep 10, 2004
  16. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Mara Guest

    I haven't tried mine on there yet. Too much going on. I will, though. :)

    Mara, Sep 10, 2004
  17. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    sqool Guest

    It is alleged that sometime during Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:22:11 -0500, Mara
    wrote this:

    Ok, if you need help, you have my email. Maybe we can get around to
    updating KDE to 3.3.x too. :)

    sqool, Sep 10, 2004
  18. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Parko Guest

    I hope he hasn't got it on a production machine. I can hear the wails
    of anguish when he 'roots' it.

    Parko, Sep 11, 2004
  19. Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I have been doing this for a long time. Something's may have you
    youngsters jumping through hoops, because you really have never done
    anything before. But this old dog has been around the block more than a
    few times when it comes to computers, O/S(s) and programming on various
    platforms and with various programming languages.

    Linux is just another one of the same old dances with a different tune
    and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure Linux out. I doubt
    seriously that I'll have any *anguish* with little old Linux. After I
    discovered what Samba was about, I had the XP Pro machines and the Linux
    machine sharing resources in about 8 minuets, of course, this was done
    after doing a little reading.

    And besides, I have a few young TOP GUN programmers down the hall at the
    job that work on the Linux platform on a project they are trying to keep
    a float. So, I'll beat a path to their door just like they beat the path
    to my door when they need help.

    I like Linux but Linux is much to do about nothing from my view point.
    It's just another O/S no more or no less.

    And I think I have found a book (I'll go to Barnes and Nobel to check it
    out) that's going to give me the information I need about SuSE Linux
    without me having to beat the bushes on the Internet.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 11, 2004
  20. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,

    More bugs In OS X and Linux.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Sep 11, 2004