    Any ideas what causes this ??

    /start Mode "Google"

    TIA :)

    XPD, Apr 11, 2007

  2. XPD

    XPD Guest

    Found references to this sort of problem and a missing/corrupt hal.dll - so
    I checked for the file on the system in question... found the issue -
    Nothing in the Windows dir except Uninstall information :-/
    Weird.... ghost and install time :)

    XPD, Apr 11, 2007

  3. XPD

    Dogboy Guest

    When a system auto-restarts at startup often its blue-screening with the
    auto-restart option checked in system options. Bit of a pain in the
    arse because you usually cant make out what the blue screen is, it
    happens so quickly.

    Get into Recovery console from your windows XP boot CD and do a Chkdsk
    c: (or whatever drive it is), that will sort out the problem 30-40% of
    the time perhaps.

    Failing that a Repair install, but you must have the exact version disk
    your trying to repair (ie Home/Pro), failing that (and it does fail
    sometimes) full reinstall.

    The windows logo doesn't mean much in terms of how far the OS has
    loaded, your system can be almost completely hosed and you would still
    get the windows logo.

    Dogboy, Apr 11, 2007
  4. I'd say your filesystem/ partitioning is just completely shot.
    Check the HD doesn't have bad sectors..

    wogers nemesis, Apr 11, 2007
  5. XPD

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Note above: "a couple of systems". I don't think they share the same HDD.

    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2007