OS polls...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. Just recently I have been running a poll({blatent plug}on
    www.dave.net.nz) on which OS people use, and well I included 10 options

    Win XP
    Win 2k
    Win 9x
    Lin Debian
    Lin Redhat/Fedora
    Lin Mandrake
    Lin Gentoo
    BSD Net/Free/MacOSX
    Win2k3
    Other

    which I figured oughta cover it.
    now I have some rather odd(in my mind) results sofar.

    "Other" has the second highest result, and seeing as I only really
    mention my url here, then I assume that it is you guys who are filling
    it in.

    the polling thing that Im using doesnt allow an "other - please specify"
    box so Im a little stuck as to find out what the "other" is.

    Who wants to share?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    Haven't filled in your poll, but I have 3 systems that would fit the
    'other' SUSE, Coyotelinux and Solaris 9 SPARC.

    Malcolm, Oct 2, 2004

  3. It seems like Sun, 03 Oct 2004 10:39:25 +1300 was when "Dave -
    Massive amounts of people using Solaris? A return to form for the
    Commodore 64? I use Pocket PC 2002 quite a bit.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 2, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    I've got boxes running Solaris x86, Wang VS/OS and Netware sitting here
    generating heat.

    EMB, Oct 2, 2004
  5. Maybe I should have made a "Lin Other" option... that should have
    atleast caught some of the others.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004
  6. return to form for the C64... did it ever lose form?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 2, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malcolm Guest

    There are lots of the 'run off a CD-ROM' distros around these days,
    Knoppix, Gnoppix, Lycoris etc. I have a copy of Puppy Linux on a USB
    flash. Plus the 64 bit versions of Linux are out and about as well.

    Maybe a poll in nz.comp may help?

    Malcolm, Oct 2, 2004
  8. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    Mmmmm ... that is a tough one.
    Let me think about it a bit.

    <thinking>
    </thought>

    Mac OSX
    Mac OS
    Windows 2000
    Windows Me

    Harry, Oct 2, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Cheetah Guest

    I'm using Suse Linux, and I'm sure there are other popular Distros out
    there. Point is you could include a "Other Linux" and "Other Windows", and
    perhaps "Other Apple"...

    Cheetah, Oct 2, 2004
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Harry said the following on 3/10/2004 11:26:
    Trust you to get it wrong again he has already got Windows 2000 in his list

    So much for the thought process of Harry Halfwit

    Collector-NZ, Oct 3, 2004
  11. It seems like Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:02:25 +1300 was when "Dave -
    It doesn't play Vice City:( Still nothing's perfect I suppose.

    Waylon Kenning, Oct 3, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    No, he has Win2k3
    How pathetic!

    Harry, Oct 3, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Collector-NZ Guest

    Harry said the following on 3/10/2004 13:35:
    Still cant read the original post second from top of list how pathetic
    are you.

    Collector-NZ, Oct 3, 2004
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Harry Guest

    There is no such os as Win 2k. There is only Windows 2000.

    Moreover, as many people like youself would tell me, "k" stands for 1024.

    Harry, Oct 3, 2004
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    Bit like this thread. Other off the topic rules OK.

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2004
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    So are they looking for a mate.

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2004
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    Nope its *nix. Lin is the person who used to post here awhile back, to
    nz.general s well

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2004
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gordon Guest

    Maybe, but not to date.

    See how easy it was for Dave to take a poll and the results showed up that
    there were a great deal more bases out there than he thought there were.

    Asking the correct question is more important than anything else, answer
    wise.

    Gordon, Oct 3, 2004
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    EMB Guest

    I think the VS has already found one, it sounds shagged. :)

    EMB, Oct 3, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Guest Guest

    I have one win98 box, one Smoothwall (customised RedHat) box, one FreeBSD
    box, one Mandrake 10_32 and one Mandrake 10_64 box - and one box presently
    in pieces but which probably will be a *BSD or a Solaris box.

    Divine

    Guest, Oct 3, 2004