    Am I missing something?

    Dan Lanciani
    [email protected]*com

    Dan Lanciani, Jul 11, 2005

  2. Dan Lanciani

    BradReeseCom Guest

    Hi Dan,

    You may wish to investigate Cisco's End-of-Sale (EOS) Announcement for
    Cisco 2500.

    End of HW Support
    May 31, 2003

    End of SW Support
    May 31, 2004

    Product Obsolescence/End of TAC/CA Support and RMAs
    June 1, 2006

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/prod_eol_notice09186a008032d409.html

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    Toll Free: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Website: http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-big-iron-repair.htm

    BradReeseCom, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Dan Lanciani

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    | Hi Dan,
    |
    | You may wish to investigate Cisco's End-of-Sale (EOS) Announcement for
    | Cisco 2500.
    |
    | End of HW Support
    | May 31, 2003
    |
    | End of SW Support
    | May 31, 2004
    |
    | Product Obsolescence/End of TAC/CA Support and RMAs
    | June 1, 2006
    |
    | http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/prod_eol_notice09186a008032d409.html

    I'm not clear on how this relates to the (lack of) ability to order the
    documentation DVD. For that matter, I'm not sure how it relates to the
    lack of boot ROMs since the notice specifically says it does not apply
    to the 2501. I wouldn't think Cisco should be accepting (actually
    soliciting--they called several times) SMARTnet contract renewal if they
    don't intend to provide the contracted services...

    Dan Lanciani
    [email protected]*com

    Dan Lanciani, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Dan Lanciani

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Dan Lanciani

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    | Dan,
    |
    | End of hardware support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models:
    | April 30, 2004
    |
    | End of software support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models:
    | April 30, 2005
    |
    | http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/prod_eol_notice09186a008032d40c.html

    So are you saying that when a product hits one of those end dates Cisco
    disables the ability to order documentation under the corresponding
    SMARTnet contract (while continuing to charge for support)?

    Dan Lanciani
    [email protected]*com

    Dan Lanciani, Jul 12, 2005
  6. :| End of software support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models:
    :| April 30, 2005

    :So are you saying that when a product hits one of those end dates Cisco
    :disables the ability to order documentation under the corresponding
    :SMARTnet contract (while continuing to charge for support)?

    Cisco usually wouldn't have allowed you to buy SmartNet extending
    past the End Of Software Support date.

    If I recall correctly, you indicated that you recently renewed
    for 3 years. If so, and if you made the vendor aware that it was
    for the 2501, you can probably get a refund, since they weren't
    supposed to sell support that extends past the deadline.

    If, though, you just bought a PKG* part and didn't tell the vendor
    what it was for, then you probably don't have any recourse for a
    refund. Cisco would, though, in such a case usually allow you to
    substitute a different device of the same class into the contract.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 13, 2005
  7. Dan Lanciani

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    | :| End of software support for the Cisco 2501 and 2514 models:
    | :| April 30, 2005
    |
    | :So are you saying that when a product hits one of those end dates Cisco
    | :disables the ability to order documentation under the corresponding
    | :SMARTnet contract (while continuing to charge for support)?
    |
    | Cisco usually wouldn't have allowed you to buy SmartNet extending
    | past the End Of Software Support date.

    Interesting. They certainly don't seem to have made that check for me.

    | If I recall correctly, you indicated that you recently renewed
    | for 3 years.

    Correct. My renewal date was 4/30/2005. I renewed for 3 years.
    [I note the coincidence...]

    | If so, and if you made the vendor aware that it was
    | for the 2501, you can probably get a refund, since they weren't
    | supposed to sell support that extends past the deadline.

    Ok, first of all it is a 2503. I mentioned the 2501 only because it uses
    the same boot ROM. So if what you are saying is correct it appears that
    Cisco should not have let me renew *last* time let alone this time.

    I'm not sure what you mean about making the vendor aware. I have had
    this contract for 10+ years and I deal directly with Cisco. Each time
    the renewal date approaches Cisco sends me a letter and then starts
    calling. Depending on the operational state of their service center
    tool (it has had its ups and downs over the years that it has existed)
    I then either receive a written quote or an online version. The quote
    includes the model number and serial number of my router. I can't see
    any possible way that they could not be aware of the model since they
    are generating the quotes. This time the quote for 3 years was ~$900.
    I generated an online purchase order and Cisco then invoiced me directly.

    Given that I appear to be paying for support that does not exist the notion
    of a refund is certainly appealing. But I'm also still interested in the
    original issue. Has Cisco really set things up to prevent documentation (and
    other "upgrade") orders under a contract because one of the end-of-support
    dates has passed? Doing that while still soliciting for renewal of the
    contract seems questionable at best.

    Dan Lanciani
    [email protected]*com

    Dan Lanciani, Jul 13, 2005
  8. :But I'm also still interested in the
    :eek:riginal issue. Has Cisco really set things up to prevent documentation (and
    :eek:ther "upgrade") orders under a contract because one of the end-of-support
    :dates has passed?

    I don't know.

    I would suggest locating a copy of the documentation on eBay.

    Although in theory it would be a violation of the license agreement
    in the USA, with your having a support contract and with Cisco not
    having a way to allow you to order the document, I don't imagine that
    anyone would get too upset.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 13, 2005