    Is this a coincidence they removed their forums as they change their
    plans and double the price of the plan probably most of their users are on??

    Or am I wrong or blind and have missed the link completely?

    Nova, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Nova

    Steve Guest

    Cheers, I wondered where the link had gone. As you note, interesting timing.

    Steve.

    Steve, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Nova

    Mutley Guest

    I got this reply back from Orcon when I asked..

    "Please go to this page http://www.orcon.net.nz/home/. The forums
    section is on the bottom right hand side of the webpage. Thank You."

    I still don't see it..

    Mutley, Mar 15, 2006
  4. Nova

    Steve Guest

    Yeah, we must all be blind....

    Steve, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Nova

    Mutley Guest

    I also notice that they are increasing their rates and dropping the
    uncapped 256K service at the old price of $49 and have hiked it to
    $109. I was thinking of going to a 2 ~3.5 Mb plan but not at their
    new prices and restrictive caps..

    "For some time now Orcon’s residential flat rate broadband plans have
    been running at a loss. This means that profits from other Orcon
    products currently subsidise our costs of providing flat rate
    broadband.

    Unfortunately, due to changes in our wholesale broadband supply from
    Telecom, particularly a significant increase in the cost of data
    travelling through the network, we are now no longer able to offer the
    256Kbps Unlimited plan at the current price.

    These changes have recently been publicly discussed in the press. One
    example containing a good explanation of the new agreement is this
    Computerworld article.

    Plan migration for existing customers
    As of the 23rd of April you will be migrated to the new
    256Kbps/128Kbps 40 GB plan. The base price of this plan will be $59.95
    per month or just $49.95 if you opt to take Orcon tolls. Check out
    details of our toll plans.

    Any data over 40GB will be charged using the Autosense system at the
    rate of $10 per 5 GB. This is still up to 5 times cheaper than
    competitors like Xtra, which charges 1c per MB (effectively $50 for
    5GB).

    This is not a decision that we have made lightly, as we realise that
    for many of you the unlimited data offered on this plan was a major
    draw card. Be assured that we have been as generous a possible in our
    revised data allowance for users."

    Mutley, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Nova

    Philip Guest

    Guess which Orcondroid is looking at a page internally cached but not
    yet uploaded to the website.

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 15, 2006
  7. Nova

    Philip Guest

    I think it's probably true - they've done wht they can and they can't
    afford the endless delay and financial losses Telecom can impose on them.

    That's why we need to start pushing for tough across-the board
    regulation of broadband, and start pushing for Telecom wholesale to be
    split from Telecom retail.

    And can we avoid the sterile arguments about privatisation vs public
    ownership and just cut to the chase: how do we get NZ customers a
    broadband offer that's at least as good as what's on offer everywhere
    else that matters in the OECD?

    Philip

    Philip, Mar 15, 2006
  8. Nova

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Interesting!!

    The Way Back Machine says it was there:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050319034113/http://www.orcon.net.nz/home/

    Sneaky buggers...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 15, 2006
  9. Nova

    Richard Guest

    Ive just closed my orcon account, im going back to dialup for the downloading
    and using the flatmates dsl for browsing/email because dialup is still the best
    vaule.

    Richard, Mar 15, 2006
  10. Nova

    RJ Guest

    So the commie are all going to stop saying "Shoot the filthy capitalist
    pigs" and telling us we should all be licking Helen's boots and that the
    government can do nothing wrong and they should steal bits of Telecom
    off its rightful owners yadda yadda yadda

    RJ, Mar 15, 2006
  11. Nova

    Vista Guest

    It is very dangerous to regulate a private company such as Telecom
    especially due to it's size. Most other countries that unbundled their
    telephone lines, the lines were still owned by the government. The
    government sold Telecom to a private company, so they can't have their cake
    and eat it to. It is a goverement problem, and they should be looking at
    setting up a rival netwrok, probably a type of wifi network would be the
    best.

    Vista, Mar 17, 2006
  12. Nova

    Richard Guest

    They did it the wrong way, making several vertical companies that were in
    different regions.

    I would like to see telecom split horizontally into lines, retail, directory and
    number allocation, international calls and finally mobile.

    I would like to see this done rather then just force telecom to unbundle because
    we know that telecom will end up favoring there own services and putting other
    ISPs onto the stuffed pairs on any given cable.

    Richard, Mar 18, 2006
  13. Nova

    Mutley Guest

    And now AT&T is getting back together ... Bigger than ever..

    Mutley, Mar 18, 2006