Orcon UBS... argh

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Zonky wrote:
    > Struan Judd <> wrote in
    >
    >> when I asked, it was going to be $20 / month (or was it $10, one of
    >> iHug or Slingshot was $20 and the other $10),

    > They apply a charge to business accounts, yes.
    >
    > Consumer accounts have (in the past, at least) been able to get one
    > free of charge.

    Also, OrCON don't advertise as giving a static IP and, when I spoke to them,
    said they wanted it kept quiet as it was part of their "special arrangement"
    with Telecom and they didn't want other ISPs kicking up a stink.

    Therefore, due to it becoming common knowledge and OrCON not only not making
    any guarantees but not even advertising it, it could (and probably will)
    change anytime. Soon. You show me where it's written, anywhere, by OrCON.
    It's not, it's only ever mentioned verbally.

    Perhaps that's why their prices have just skyrocketed? Maybe Telecom have
    felt obliged to charge them for it recently? (In which case they may be
    advertising it now) Either that or Seeby's Ferrari needs a new engine.

    Anyway, I don't see it as a compelling reason to pay a lot more per month
    for a sub-par service than the $10-$20 extra a good ISP will charge you for
    a *guaranteed* static IP.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~ (No PPP drop-out with Actrix for 19 days and counting. *Sixty* plus
    drop-outs a month with OrCON, the longest I stayed connected at any one time

    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Richard

    EMB Guest

    Struan Judd wrote:

    > I have a simple requirement for a new ISP. A Free Static IP.
    >
    > Who else other than Orcon wil provide that?

    Ihug will on a residential conenction, but charge on a business connection.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Apr 12, 2006