    speed I would have uploaded about 400MB by the time the download had
    finished, but at the rate I'm going I will have uploaded 4GB. Where's
    the logic in that?

    g00g1eme, Apr 17, 2005

  2. said the following on 17/04/2005 7:18 p.m.:
    Oh dear, here we go...

    Sure Orcon could be responsible for your lack of speed but then again so
    could a myraid of other things among them your own system.

    I would suspect that Orcon are only a minor part of your issues.

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 17, 2005

  3. Mike_P said the following on 17/04/2005 8:22 p.m.:
    Works upstream and downstream for me at expected levels.

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 17, 2005
  4. g00g1eme

    Mike_P Guest

    I would have to disagree with that comment. Anecdotal evidence, both in this
    group and on Orcon's own forums, would suggest the OP has a legitimate
    point.
    My own experience with Orcon and P2P over the past 4 mths is similar to the
    OP's... upstream is good but downstream, just don't even bother.!
    And don't go the 'Heavy user' route, my usage is 2-4gb/mth tops.

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Apr 17, 2005
  5. g00g1eme

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Well, I would agree with the second poster; my experience is different
    to yours - I have recently downloaded a couple of torrents at a full
    32-33kb/s. I'm not using the standard BT ports, though. And i'm on Orcon
    UBS.

    There are heaps of factors that might cause torrents to be slow, most of
    them outside of Orcon's control. Some torrents are slow, some are fast;
    it's just the way BT is.

    And anyway - if the OP is downloading 4GB, he should be uploading 4GB;
    that's how BT works.

    Try downloading Open Office - IIRC that is currently a very popular file
    and you should get a very fast download. Likewise ubuntu or kubuntu.

    -=rjh=-, Apr 17, 2005
  6. g00g1eme

    Mike_P Guest

    Upstream here is ~11kb/s, downstream is 0-0.1kb/s on ports other than 80
    (and since Thurs-Fri last week, 119). Been like that since late Dec 04.
    If you look at Orcon's forums you will see that, for some strange reason,
    some users are getting an OK service while others are getting crap.
    Unfortunately for me (and others) it's crap, and has been like that for
    mths. Unfortunately for me (and others) Orcon aren't inclined to fix it.

    Mike_P

    Mike_P, Apr 17, 2005
  7. Not using Bittorrent, but this seems to suggest we are still being rate
    limited.

    Downloading headers from nz.general using the xhdr command... less than
    three minutes on port 119 or port 80, almost half an hour to reach 60%
    on port 12345.

    I am not a heavy user, last time Orcon actually had a reliable usage
    meter I could check against, I use about 3GB per month. Last month was a
    heavy month for me, downloading a few Linux ISO files while I tried to
    find something to compile on, but that was only another GB or so.
    Nowhere near the 'high' user figures stated by Orcon that would get me
    put in the queued category.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Apr 17, 2005
  8. g00g1eme

    EMB Guest

    Judging by the IP address in your headers you're on some ancient dial-up
    connection so I guess they're not rate limiting your 6kB/sec much at all.

    EMB, Apr 17, 2005
  9. g00g1eme

    g00g1eme Guest

    My uploads have been averaging 10-20kb/s, downloads 2-5kb/s. The file
    I'm downloading has over 350 active seeds. At this rate I will have
    uploaded about 40GB by the time I finish downloading the 4GB file. Have
    cancelled the download for now so that I don't end up being categorised
    as a "heavy" user.

    Currently unable to send email via smtp.orcon.net.nz either.

    Also, lots of website timeouts.

    g00g1eme, Apr 17, 2005
  10. g00g1eme

    Richard Guest

    Enterprise torrent coming down here at 27k/sec which is the limit that I set for it.

    Richard, Apr 17, 2005
  11. g00g1eme

    mark Guest

    The OP is correct I'm afraid. Orcon is actively throttling bandwidth to all
    "non standard" posts (which appeared to included usenet until recently),
    but as far as I can see, only the outgoing, not the incoming.

    mark, Apr 17, 2005
  12. said the following on 17/04/2005 9:51 p.m.:
    Yep SMTP.orcon was just playing up rejecting with a 451 error and try
    again. All go now though

    -- ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Apr 17, 2005
  13. P2p is a huge drain on the resources of some ISPs being the main
    reason it is restricted

    Not an issue for me
    I don't use P2P and no one I know does

    FreedomChooser, Apr 17, 2005
  14. g00g1eme

    Bling-Bling Guest

    Why is the Southern Cross Cable still not being used anywhere near full
    capacity?

    And therefore, why are the costs of using that cable still unreasonably
    high?

    Bling Bling

    Bling-Bling, Apr 17, 2005
  15. g00g1eme

    Mutlley Guest

    Couldn't agree with you more. I am currently downloading a TV
    program. @ 4KBs the program will take 3 - 4 days to download. The
    file is 350Meg The total upload will be 1.2Gig

    Mutlley, Apr 17, 2005
  16. because they keep increasing the max capacity it can handle.
    R&D into making it carry more costs $$$

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 17, 2005
  17. g00g1eme

    Mutlley Guest

    I assume by you email address that your not on Orcon??

    Mutlley, Apr 17, 2005
  18. g00g1eme

    Shane Guest

    heh..
    have a look at his headers
    pay close attention to this bit

    Shane, Apr 17, 2005
  19. g00g1eme

    Shane Guest

    then look at this bit

    Shane, Apr 17, 2005
  20. g00g1eme

    steve Guest

    If I tell you ewhat to use instead, they'll throttle that, too......

    Oh well.

    steve, Apr 18, 2005