Orcon offering free upgrades.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    From 256k/unlimited to 2M/10GB. Either slowing to 64k after reaching the cap
    or a chanrge of 1 cent/MB above cap.

    In a moment of non-clarity I accepted this offer at 3am this morning. (With
    the slow-down option) as I've only been downloading 2-2.5GB a month. Then
    this morning I realised it's 10GB "Data", meaning both ways I guess. Oh
    well, still only 3.8GB on the 'biggest' month.

    What concerns me most is that, and some of you may have noticed the dearth
    of complaining posts from me recently, the latency of the 256k product has
    been almost acceptable recently. Not as good as dial-up or Jetstream but
    nowhere near the abysmal low it hit a few months back. I'm wondering now,
    will I have to go through months of latency issues with the new plan? I hope
    not as I've just financed another car and ADSL is in the balace ATM. At
    least I couldn't find any penalty clause from dropping the service after
    upgrading.

    <fingers crossed>

    ~misfit~, Jul 6, 2005

  2. I had a laugh when I read the 'free upgrade' offer. I consider the new
    plan a downgrade, even though I don't use more than 10GB at the slower
    speed.

    When are ISPs (and Telecom in particular) going to learn, it isn't how
    _fast_ you get it that matters to the high volume users, it is how much
    they can get!

    The Ohter Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 6, 2005

  3. wouldn't that depend on each user... hell, I would take 2Mbit with 10GB
    cap over 256k unlimitied, simply because most of usage is "bursty", not
    "constant speed"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 6, 2005
  4. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    I agree Dave, I have a 1Mbit connectionwith a 1, yes read it again
    "one" Gig cap.
    When I need stuff I need it quick.

    Bret, Jul 6, 2005
  5. Clearly you're not a high volume user. Neither am I really, but I'd
    rather have a steady 256k than 2048k and a pathetic 64k if I do somehow
    manage to exceed my cap (Which I could more easily since the speed was
    greater).

    If you're on P2P all day every day like some people, you get more for
    your dollar on a 256k unlimited plan.

    It may take a few days, but a higher cap means I don't have to think
    about it if I decide to download a DVD image every few months.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Jul 6, 2005
  6. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    So you need no much quickly?

    Stiull seems like having a sports car and only being able to drive it
    around town.

    Gordon, Jul 6, 2005
  7. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Sports car would be a fast connection - more like having a V8, and after you
    have gone 50k's it drops back to being a V1

    Richard, Jul 6, 2005
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL @ V1!!

    As I stated in my first post, (and to contimue your analogy) I don't even go
    20k's so am happy with the upgrade. I get those 20k's faster (or will when
    my billing cycle comes around).

    ~misfit~, Jul 6, 2005
  9. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    Drivers and patches.
    I'd like one of those racing trucks thanks :)

    Bret, Jul 6, 2005
  10. more like high acceleration, high top speed, but not much track, so drag
    racing I guess.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 6, 2005
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'm in a low-rent (so to speak) area of town. I don't bother my neighbours
    and they don't bother me. Frankly I'd honestly be surprised if anyone else
    in my little street even had a computer.

    I got an email today from adslprovisioning at Orcon (which I nearly missed
    due to my white-list spam system) informing me that I'm down to be switched
    over on "2005-07-09". Now, I'm thinking (hoping) that's the 9th of July and
    not the 7th of September. However that makes it this Saturday. I didn't know
    Telecom did that sort of thing in the weekends. Fingers crossed it's a
    trouble-free process. I'm yet to have one of those with Orcon or Telecom.
    They must have them surely?

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2005
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    What does the headline "Free Speed Upgrade" mean to you guys?

    I've just re-read it and I'd mis-interpreted it. I took it to mean it would
    cost me no more to have 2M than it currently does to have 256k. Ha!! Sucker
    me. All it means is that, normally I would have to pay $10 to change my plan
    but, until the end of July, this fee is waived for existing customers.

    I guess it's interpretation and jumping the gun on my part. However, Orcon
    have a habit of lying about their pricing. I was conned into getting
    Jetstream (On a week that I really couln't afford it) because they stated
    that existing customers would get UBS cheaper than new sign-ups. That was a
    blatent lie. They are advertising the same plan as I'm on at the same price
    and always have. They lied. I'm pissed. I have to ring and cancel my "Free
    Upgrade".

    Misleading IMO. It should have said; "No charge to change your plan" or
    something similar. Free speed upgrade my arse.

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2005
  13. ~misfit~

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Come on; surely you've had enough experience with UBS to know what that
    date really means :)

    Also, to make you feel even better about paying even more money to
    Orcon, Seeby is being interviewed about how fabulously wealthy he is on
    TV tonight. I think on TV3, (Campbell Live) but might be TV1 (Closeup) -
    I can't tell them apart - lucky they have such big logos on screen these
    days (but I still can't tell them apart).

    For the life of me, I can't understand why somebody would agree to such
    an interview, but I guess it might be interesting.

    -=rjh=-, Jul 7, 2005
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://www.orcon.net.nz/help/newsletters/2005-07-05

    I read the first paragraph under the heading "Free Speed Upgrade on
    Bitstream" then clicked the "Upgrade now" box. I guess I was too excited,
    thinking Orcon really were offering something "To thank our BitStream
    customers for coming on board and sticking with us". Believe me, it was a
    close call a few times, the "sticking with us" bit.

    Instead they were allowing me the privelege of *not* paying them $10 to pay
    them an extra $20/month to get my 3GB max/month of data through their lines
    a bit faster.

    Why the hell would I pay the same amount for a laggy BitStream connection as
    Telecom are charging for their 2M/10GB plan? ($69.95/month). What ever
    happened to Orcon being a reliable, competitive ISP? <Expletive deleted>,
    their latest offering is *worse* than Telecom's FFS. A friend has the
    Telecom 2M plan and his latency is far superior to my BitStream shite. Plus
    it's on the same bill as the phone, only one company to pay. I'm seriously
    considering going back to Telecom, the blood-sucking monopolistic pricks
    that they are. Says a lot for Orcon huh?

    I'm that pissed I'm looking for some big files to download each month. They
    said they don't traffic-shape their 256k plan if you're under 20GB a month,
    I'm gonna leave my machine downloading overnight for a few nights each week,
    grab me another 15GB or so each month, then delete it.

    (I'm pissed off, partly at myself I guess).

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2005
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, about that.... I'm an idiot, I thought a "Free Speed Upgrade" meant I
    wouldn't be paying any more. Silly me! Turns out it's just free to change
    plans. It beats me why they would charge you to pay them an extra $20 a
    month in the first place. I could understand if they charged you to
    downgrade your plan but charging to "upgrade" (read: "change plans to a
    faster one") seems bloody silly.
    I'll endeavour to discover which one it is and watch it, thanks. I don't
    normally watch much TV so didn't know that.
    I hope to see it. I've 'conversed' with him here now and then over the
    years, be interesting to get a look at the man.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 7, 2005
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks. Got it and replied.
    Turns out I can't cancel the 'upgrade' as it's scheduled for tomorrow.
    However Orcon will put in a 'downgrade order which *should* be done the
    month after on my 'payment anniversary'. In the meantime I have to pay the
    higher rate but the are prepared to waive the $30 downgrade fee.
    (Incidently, they blame the downgrade fee on the government. They say that
    the government want people on high-speed connections and have asked the ISPs
    to make it harder for people to downgrade than upgrade, hence the $20
    difference in fees for changing plans)
    That would be nice. Shame Telecom own half the MPs though.

    ~misfit~, Jul 8, 2005
  17. thats rather odd, and sounds very misleading.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 8, 2005
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    S'gonna be a bitch having it for a month and then going back to 256k too.
    I don't know. I think it's more to do with the fact that we're the
    laughing-stock of the developed world when it comes to internet/broadband
    uptake. Seems the Govt. is trying to make us look better by penalising
    anyone who gets a faster connection, then decides to downgrade.
    Arse-backwards as usual for the Govt. Instead of making Telecom play fair
    they make it even harder for the punter to choose or try a different plan.
    Especially if it's 'going backwards' and embarassing the Govt. when it comes
    to the published figures on broadband penetration. Aren't we behind Iceland
    as far as that goes or something?

    ~misfit~, Jul 8, 2005
  19. ~misfit~

    Brendan Guest

    Think so. It's a disgrace. It'll only change when they start losing votes
    because of it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #139697 +(4371)- [X]

    <frank> can you help me install GTA3?
    <knightmare> first, shut down all programs you aren't using
    frank has quit IRC. (Quit)
    <knightmare> ...

    Note: All my comments are copyright 9/07/2005 11:23:53 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Jul 9, 2005
  20. ~misfit~

    Scooter Guest

    You are on an Invalids Benefit and you can afford a car and ADSL?

    Scooter, Jul 14, 2005