    the server was refusing connections - has anyone else been experiencing
    this? This is the second time this has happened in the past few days.

    Is this a widespread or isolated problem?

    -=rjh=-, Nov 18, 2004

  2. -=rjh=-

    Blister Pak Guest

    -=rjh=- said the following on 18/11/2004 22:09:
    No hassle for me, retention good, Article count in synch with my other
    feeds, downloaded headers actually faster than my other feed.

    Blister Pak, Nov 18, 2004

  3. -=rjh=-

    Blister Pak Guest

    Blister Pak said the following on 18/11/2004 22:11:
    And propergation is acceptable as well, this post went out okay and
    turned up on my other feeds just as expected.

    Blister Pak, Nov 18, 2004
  4. I just gave up and are now using news.individual.net
    No more dumb too many connection errors.

    I suggest that the other 10 or so Orcon users just switch and then Orcon
    can just give up ...(and spend more time hassling telecon)

    wogers nemesis, Nov 18, 2004
  5. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    My fiance and I share an Orcon ADSL feed. I use NIN and she uses the Orcon
    feed as NIN doesn't carry the wildlife pics binary groups she subscribes to.
    Virtually every time she downloads it comes up with the "Server has not
    responded for........" message sooner or later. Also, she often has her
    posts sitting in the pending folder for days, they just won't go. These
    aren't binary posts either, just a couple K of text. It was the same for me,
    hence I'm using NIN. I'm really dissapointed in Orcon over this to be honest
    with you. I remember seeing a post from someone from Orcon here several
    (six?) months back promising good things soon with their newserver. It was
    then that I made the decision to change to Orcon when I left Xtra as a good
    newsfeed is very important to me and a big factor in my choosing an ISP.
    Since then they contracted the newsfeed out and it's basically shite. I
    don't know how the fiance puts up with it to be honest. When I post a
    message I expect a little propogation delay but not several days just to get
    it off my own PC.

    ~misfit~, Nov 18, 2004
  6. -=rjh=-

    Ferg Guest

    I find it very variable. Sometimes I can't connect and other times it is
    very fast. Most of the time it is a bit slow but gets there in the end.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Nov 18, 2004
  7. Widespread. It's really pissing me off having to muck around so much
    just to send each message, and here I go again... Grrr!

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 18, 2004
  8. -=rjh=-

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Have you checked out Tera News, they have binaries, the cost use to be
    $US3.95 to sign up for the "free" service - that's a one off cost.
    Sometimes the service wasn't that great, but still better than Orcon.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 18, 2004
  9. Hi there Guys

    We'll get a good news service working as soon as we are over this UBS
    stuff.

    Newsfeeds.com has been a dissapointing experience - we were hoping
    that we were going to be able to provide a great customer experience
    without having to maintain our own news server, but newsfeeds is
    essentially hopeless.

    Cheers
    Seeby

    Seeby Woodhouse - Orcon Internet, Nov 18, 2004
  10. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Once again, good to see you posting here Seeby.

    Thanks for the update. I have to agree, Newsfeeds.com are abysmal. I look
    forward to you setting up your own news server, maybe then I won't have to
    connect to a German university to get my news feed. <g>.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Nov 19, 2004
  11. you seem to have mis-read "without having to maintain our own news server"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 19, 2004
  12. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I think not. Did you miss the "we were hoping that we were going to be able
    to" part? Putting that in the past tense says to me that now they are
    planning to run their own news server. I could be wrong, I've been wrong
    once before. I think they already have the hardware, don't you remember the
    talk in here several months ago about the new news server? Then they went to
    Newsfeeds.com and Craig got to use the machines for SETI. <g>.

    ~misfit~, Nov 19, 2004
  13. -=rjh=-

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Don't quote me, but I'm sure I read / heard somewhere that they were
    looking at another provider.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 19, 2004
  14. -=rjh=-

    Brendan Guest

    I get quite a few 'too many connections' errors from it...

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The drug user drowns in the same pool mystics swim in." -- Joseph Campbell

    Note: All my comments are copyright 19/11/2004 2:23:26 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 19, 2004
  15. Hey Seeby,

    what about using SuperNews <http://www.supernews.com/>? I've been with
    other ISP's who use them and have personally used a feed from them
    (through another provider leasing their service). All very good
    experiences. Plus, Forte (the makers of Agent - the well known and liked
    Windows newsreader) use SuperNews for their Agent Premium Newsgroups
    feed <http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php> that they sell.

    How about dumping the craptacular Newsfeeds.com and getting SuperNews
    right away? Or is their a contract with Newsfeeds.com that must run it's
    course? If not, please change soon. Please :)

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 19, 2004
  16. -=rjh=-

    Richard Guest

    Got that right - about half my attempts at loading posts come up with either
    connection refused or documant contains no data...

    Richard, Nov 19, 2004
  17. It seems like Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:41:45 +1300 was when
    (Jamie Kahn Genet) said Blah blah blah...
    I do agree, when Iconz (before AOL) were with Supernews, I had a
    fantastic newsfeed. Worth every cent (which was a lot in those days,
    like $25 for 200 hours).

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 19, 2004
  18. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Thanks for the reply, Seeby. News and feedback is *really* important to
    your customers.

    I'm happy enough to wait (like I have a choice :), if Orcon are aware
    of the problem and are committed to fixing it.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 20, 2004
  19. -=rjh=-

    Worm Guest

    As someone else has suggested, if you're so f*cked off by it, why don't you
    just sign up to news.individual.net? You might say "why should I have
    to"...well, maybe it beats bitching? I switched a couple of weeks back and
    all is well. Perhaps it is better for Orcon to spend their time sorting out
    UBS etc rather than a newsfeed, if there are indeed only 10 of us using it!

    Worm

    Worm, Nov 20, 2004
  20. And as _I've_ made clear several times I require binary as well as text
    groups.

    As for UBS - I'm going with the 2Mbit Jetstream plan so I could,
    frankly, give a sh*t :)

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Nov 20, 2004