    buttons abound. The display is consistent across IE11 and Chrome33
    (this is on a wide screen 16:10 display Intel 4000 graphics)

    It displays OK on IE8 and IE9. I don't have IE10 to hand.

    Martin Brown, Apr 10, 2014

  2. Don't use IE unless I have to.
    Checked on my PC IE11 seems normal to me.
    FireFox 28.0 all is well also checked at all pre-set resolutions on FF
    "responsive design" developer tool no problems there either.

    [email protected]

    www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Apr 10, 2014

  3. Martin Brown

    Davey Guest

    Unable to connect

    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at my.ee.co.uk.

    Davey, Apr 10, 2014
  4. Martin Brown

    Martin Brown Guest

    How curious. Pressing refresh now gets it to work on IE11 & Chrome, but
    I swear that it was totally mangled half an hour ago when I posted this.
    (and reproducible)

    I wonder if their server is being a bit erratic.
    I didn't see any timeout msgs though.

    Firefox here just crashed when pointed at that site.

    Martin Brown, Apr 10, 2014
  5. Martin Brown

    Java Jive Guest

    Certainly looks a mess in FF 3 & 12. I see three copies of most
    things in both. (I grant those are rather old browsers, but I'd have
    to fire up another PC to test anything more recent.)
    Nothing would surprise me about Orange's website:

    <quote>
    Dear Sir/Madam,

    I write to complain about my service from Orange. There are 10
    different numbered complaints here, please ensure that you address
    them all.

    1 & 2 <snip>

    3 Thirdly, I am getting increasingly exasperated by Orange's
    spamming of me in the middle of the night with texts about services
    about which I neither know nor care to know. I only want to receive
    directly to my phone very important information from Orange, the rest
    can go hang.

    4 I wish mobile phone services in this area would forget about 4G
    and get 3G working reliably. I can only use my mobile with any
    reliability at all in my home standing next to one window.

    <em>
    Subsequent issues all result in one way or another from Orange's
    appallingly designed (if that's the word - it is difficult to
    conceive of someone actually designing such a mess) website ...
    </em>

    5 The next most important issue is that Orange are one of an
    increasing number of firms insulting customers by assuming that they
    can't be trusted to enter correctly into a web page something as
    trivial as their own name and address. Please note, and ensure that
    you correct your records which are wrong, that my current address is
    as follows and ONLY as follows ...
    <snip>
    .... yet your website and your records insist it something slightly
    different. The reason this happens has a very simple cause: Because
    my current address has no house name, only a number, the
    inadequately-tested website form has combined the house name from my
    previous address with the rest of my current address to produce an
    absurdity. I can't do anything about it whatsoever, because the whole
    process is automated by entering a postcode and then choosing the rest
    of the address from a drop-down list, so I can't even try to erase the
    previous house name by just entering a space in its place. Thus we
    have the absurd situation where programmers, who on multitudinous
    evidence below clearly can not be trusted to program a website
    properly, insult customers by assuming that they can not be trusted to
    do a rather better job entering their own details - in reality it
    would be difficult for any normal individual to make as bad a mess of
    it as has arisen through their Orwellian arrogance in not allowing us
    to do it for ourselves.

    6 The font size of the paragraph text on the website is absurdly
    small. In fact it is so small that on my 1024 x 768 Viewsonic VG712s
    monitor, which has a dot-pitch of a little over 3 pixels per mm, there
    actually aren't enough pixels close enough together to define the
    shape of each character, so the result looks like an over-compressed
    JPEG picture, and is unreadable. This is a clear and obvious fault
    that should have been found by even the most minimal and basic
    testing.

    7 Certain pages on your site automatically reload every 5-10s or so.
    This practice is widely frowned upon, partly because it reduces
    accessibility - for example it is really confusing for people
    reading a site by means of assistive reading technologies (which I am
    not, by the way) - and partly because, as in my case, it wastes
    bandwidth, which in this area whether via land line or mobile is in
    very, very short supply, and also because it causes endless warnings
    to be thrown up by browsers.

    8 Your website is of fixed width design, which means that unless one
    permanently has one's browser running at full screen, which I don't,
    important bits of the pages, such as log in and log out buttons, are
    hidden off the right-hand edge. Again, this goes against everything
    that is taught about good web-design, and is a fault that should
    become clear and obvious with even minimal testing.

    9 Ever since the EE login page has been introduced, I've been unable
    to log in.

    10 Pursuant to this, there is no easily findable correspondence
    address on your website. Why is it hidden under a section headed by a
    phone symbol?

    All-in-all, Orange's website is one of the worst I have to use in my
    everyday life. It is a shambles cluttered by things that are of
    little or no concern to me, crammed into an inflexible design that
    cannot cope with the average hardware in the average home in this
    area. We, your customers, do not care about what it looks like on the
    website manager's big and expensive high-resolution widescreen
    monitor; we, using normal equipment purchased within the last decade
    or so, find it an abysmal and unergonomic mess that gives the
    appearance that Orange just don't care enough about their customers to
    perform even the most basic and minimal usability testing on everyday
    hardware of the sort your customers are likely to own.

    And that's just on a PC, you would have thought at least that a mobile
    phone company would make their website half decent for a mobile phone,
    but no, it's the same cluttered mess, crammed into an even smaller
    area!

    Yours disgustedly,
    </quote>

    Java Jive, Apr 10, 2014
  6. Martin Brown

    Woody Guest

    Woody, Apr 10, 2014
  7. I turn my 'phone off at night, largely to stop that kind of thing.
    +lots.

    Andy

    Vir Campestris, Apr 10, 2014
  8. Martin Brown

    bert Guest

    Looks Ok on FF

    bert, Apr 10, 2014
  9. Martin Brown

    Davey Guest

    unless I want to make a call using it.

    Davey, Apr 10, 2014
  10. Martin Brown

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Much applause.

    I agree with everything you have pointed out concerning their
    web-shite.

    Phil W Lee, Apr 11, 2014
  11. Martin Brown

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Even when displaying in the way the creators apparently intended
    (which is barely half the time, in my experience), it is far from OK.

    My children could have designed it better, and in a number of
    respects, it probably isn't even legal.

    Phil W Lee, Apr 11, 2014
  12. Martin Brown

    NY Guest

    Yes. Near me, big cities like Leeds and (to a lesser extent) York already
    have pretty good 3G but they are places being upgraded to 4G, while smaller
    towns and large villages, even those close to main roads, have to make do
    with slower standards or even no mobile internet at all. I'm lucky if I can
    get a mobile phone signal (for voice/text) at home - it varies from day to
    day. And that's with Vodafone whose signal is the strongest round here; with
    all the other companies you can forget mobile reception at home. This is in
    well-populated flattish parts of North Yorkshire, not in the wilds of the
    moors, miles from the nearest village and at the bottom of a steep-sided
    valley.

    Mostly I wouldn't mind, but it is annoying that Google Maps don't do a
    totally offline version of their satnav software so you could load up the
    whole country while connected to wifi at home and then use the phone offline
    while out driving. Even if I download a part of the country (a pitifully
    small 10x10 miles, or thereabouts) I still need internet to search for a
    postcode, even if I can get directions offline once my destination has been
    identified.

    There are a lot of assumptions that people will "always" have mobile
    internet, which is not the case. In my experience, using a modern Samsung
    phone, web page access is very slow even in good 3G/4G areas, and is
    virtually unusable (5 mins for a simple page of text) in "2G" areas.

    NY, Apr 11, 2014
  13. Martin Brown

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Same here (after initially being unavailable). However, like most
    websites, its presentation rather depends on the size setting. See what
    happens when you do a Ctrl + and Ctrl -.

    Ian Jackson, Apr 11, 2014
  14. Martin Brown

    Jim Guest

    Seems OK on Firefox 29.

    --
    :: Jim,

    NHS Health Database Sale Opt-out form:

    http://www.thebigoptout.com/opt-out-letter/

    Jim, Apr 11, 2014
  15. OK now (IE11) but earlier today, it was giving me "not available"

    George Weston, Apr 11, 2014
  16. Martin Brown

    J B Guest

    + lots more

    J B, Apr 11, 2014
  17. Martin Brown

    David P Guest

    AOL

    David P, Apr 11, 2014
  18. Martin Brown

    Jim Guest

    I wish they'd get 1G working in my area !

    Jim, Apr 12, 2014
  19. You want analogue back?

    Andy

    Vir Campestris, Apr 13, 2014
  20. Martin Brown

    Woody Guest

    message

    Well there's no doubt that the audio quality - with a good
    signal - was infinitely better!

    Woody, Apr 13, 2014