    different school programes and I wonder what should I learn about
    DataBase if I want to become a network admin. Any help would be very
    much apprciated. Thanks.

    esara, May 17, 2004

  2. esara

    Rob Morley Guest

    Does a network administrator need to know anything about databases? I'd
    have thought that was the job of a database administrator.

    Rob Morley, May 17, 2004

  3. esara

    Bernard Peek Guest

    Lots of networking people never need to know anything about databases.
    In a smaller organisation networks, phones and databases are lumped
    together under the heading of "infrastructure."

    It really depends on what size organisation you expect to work in.

    Bernard Peek, May 17, 2004
  4. esara

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    I knew nothing about SQL when I started my current job as network admin &
    engineer.
    But as we haven't got one of those I've learnt a bit about SQL server.
    --
    Alex

    "We are now up against live, hostile targets"

    "So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad
    attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch! "

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk
    www.upce.org.uk

    Dr Zoidberg, May 17, 2004
  5. esara

    Ian Guest

    Well
    Ask a DBA if he will let the network admin guy fiddle with the database
    then ask the network guy if he will let the dba fiddle with the network
    then ask a unix admin if he will let either fiddle with the servers

    You will find the answer to all these will normally be know.

    Ian

    Ian, May 17, 2004
  6. I think the important question is what do you want to do?

    Generally Network admins need to know very little about databases,
    especially "SQL". It may only be used to authenticate their session on a
    router, Moving in to security, they may need to know about the central
    authentication system, but probably not "SQL".

    Just for interest both areas well paid.

    There are some jobs where a variety of skills are need but these are
    generally only open to people with a number of years experience. You may
    well find that if you join the IT industry you skill sets change and
    grow over the years.

    Hope this helps

    Andrew

    Andrew Welham, May 18, 2004