    I didnt say run anything and everything on it...

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Nov 3, 2005

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    thing2 Guest

    If you noticed I said "good enough market"

    As for lack of understanding...yeah right, that's why we have a 9i
    RAQ.......we have no use for 14 Dell's running Oracle in it really...we
    just thought they looked mean in black....and 14 boxes sounded a nice
    number.

    At the bottom end mysql is more than good enough for quite a decent % of
    databases.....LAMP comes to mind....

    MS laughed at Linux, they are not laughing now......now it is oracle's
    turn....

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Nov 3, 2005

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    shannon Guest

    For that use PostgreSQL

    shannon, Nov 3, 2005
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    shannon Guest

    Oracle can be run on linux.
    MySQL and PostgreSQL can be run on Windows.

    There isn't much point in trying to make this into a Lin vs Win pissing
    match.
    DB2 and Oracle are the top dogs in the enterprise database market, MSSQL
    and Sybase would be next.
    Postgres 8.1 is a good candidate

    shannon, Nov 3, 2005
  5. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    Nobody in their right mind would be considering mySQL and Oracle for
    the same project. They are worlds apart. Not even comparable.
    I'm pretty sure Microsoft still have a good laugh at Linux. And what
    has Oracle got to do with Linux? Apart from the fact that they have,
    for a long time, had a version available for Linux?

    Oh, and I think you'll find that Oracle are making this move to combat
    the market share MSSQL is eating away. I doubt they've even given
    mySQL much of a second thought, other than the odd giggle or two.

    Not Dave, Nov 3, 2005
  6. news.xtra.co.nz

    Ron McNulty Guest

    I wonder if Microsoft will make Access free in response?

    They already make MSDE, which is a free but hobbled version of SQL Server.
    It has a limit (from memory) of 5 simultaneous users. There may also be a
    file size restriction, but I have never hit it.

    Also, you can buy the SQL Server Developer edition for around NZ$110. That
    has user limitations too, but comes with the tools needed to easily manage
    the DB (Enterprise Manager and Query Analyser).

    So it looks like Oracle are joining the bandwagon. Getting developers
    started on your product is a good way to ensure the final software also runs
    on your (expensive) product. And if you can convince them to use lots of
    stored procedures, triggers etc, you have them just about locked in -
    porting costs become significant.

    A difference with Oracle is that they are encouraging ISVs to embed Oracle
    in their products - that is certainly a fresh approach.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Nov 4, 2005
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mercury Guest

    Access itself is not suitable for resale products - it is useful for solving
    in house problems quickly and very cost effecively. On the second front,
    this is where MySQL can't compete - Access is effectively DBMS + 4GL / Forms
    designer rolled together with a great report writer.

    The database is very useful in small multi-user systems or to house
    extensive 'system parameters' for applications.

    The big problem is the usual one: companies build a system in MS Access
    quickly and cost effecitively,this then grows, users get added then it
    becomes cumbersome and inefficient & it is about this point in time that
    people look at SQL Server - the should look at the start and know when to
    convert - before things become cumbersome and performance suffers.

    Mercury, Nov 4, 2005
  8. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mercury Guest

    MSDE does not have a user limit as such - the query governer limits the
    number of queries that will run concurrently resulting in a performance
    ceiling as more users do more concurrent work - this slowdown happens faster
    on busy systems as it is not only the number of users that effects this. It
    is a very resonable method as the product is free, and is intended as a
    stepping stone - an easy stepping stone to easy transition as systems and
    companies grow to SQL Server.

    Mercury, Nov 4, 2005
  9. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mercury Guest

    The 'ideal' testing situation would have to be a standalone machine,

    No one with any sense ever puts a dbms in line of sight of the internet. It
    may have been fleetingly advocated by some in the mid nineties when things
    like getting end users to write their own queries seemed like a good idea to
    some, but now days, the dbms invariably store the corporate jewels so are
    well and truly firewalled with no possible direct access or indirect access
    for that matter.

    Those that do think its OK are those that get worms.

    The gotchas you are referring to are quite minimal - so long as you have a
    sensible network config and firewalling. If they weren't it would be on TV
    and reporters would be scaring shyte out of ordinary people.

    I haven't looked too close at any of the Oracle exploits recently. I have
    been shocked by the volume that have been coming out every few months, and
    really this is an indication of what happens when you expose legacy code to
    modern hacking techniques: code that works "100%" as it should do can be
    riddled with exploits.

    Mercury, Nov 4, 2005
  10. Umm, pretty much every site of any consequence is based on a dbms.
    Worms ? Which host do these live on ?

    Mark Robinson, Nov 4, 2005
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    Not Dave Guest

    Re-read his comments.

    It is completely different having a web server that can access a
    backend DB (or frontend DB to a backend DB) versus having a naked DBMS
    publicly visible.

    Not Dave, Nov 4, 2005
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    Mercury Guest

    You know what?

    If I thought there was anything in here to respond to I would.

    I can't find anything to comment about though.

    Did you try to add soemthing to the discussion? Sorry if I missed it.

    Mercury, Nov 4, 2005
  13. Perhaps you missed the word "indirect".

    Mark Robinson, Nov 4, 2005
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    Shane Guest

    SQL injection attacks are possible (there were some vulnerabilities for
    this type of attack until patched in April/May this year)
    But now I'm moving into the realm of "its possible but not currently an
    issue"
    Although, in doing some research this afternoon I have noted there is some
    issue with the patch issued in April/May and
    http://www.us-cert.gov/current/
    "According to public reports, the patches included in this update, as
    well as previous updates, may not adequately correct all security
    vulnerabilities."

    Shane, Nov 4, 2005