    up my mind). What optional accessories should I be considering and what
    would you be recommending? Thanks.

    Jon.

    Jon, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Spare battery.
    Large CF cards. I'm using 512kB on my 10D.
    Large HDD for storing your images. CD or DVD writer.
    Dose(s) of salt - so that you can detect which usenet postings are worth
    reading...

    Have fun - I do

    Malcolm Stewart, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Jon

    stan Guest

    Well, the basic stuff such as lens cleaning tissue, liquid, etc. is always
    good to have on hand. Maybe additional memory cards and a spare battery. A
    comfortable camera bag that's large enough to hold your camera, lens, and
    accessories is also handy. What else you need depends heavily on the type
    of photography you plan to do. For example, if you intend to do a lot of
    indoor shooting such as in museums, a good external flash might come in
    handy. An extra lens might also be helpful, but again, it depends on YOUR
    needs.

    stan, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Jon

    Guest Guest

    You will neeed at least one lens (but I guess that makes it a non-optional
    accessory).

    Guest, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Consider some graduated neutral density filters using something like Cokin's
    P system. This will help preserve highlights on some photos that might
    otherwise be blown because of the decreased dynamic range of digital.

    Also, you will naturally need PhotoShop or PhotoShop Elements 2.0 or some
    similar photo editing program.

    Also, you will need a good tripod. No, I mean a GOOD tripod, not the $30
    model they sell at Best Buy. Look at http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

    Actually, I predict your hardest decisions will come in deciding on the dSLR
    itself. Canon-based vs. Nikon-based, and if Nikon, then which of the several
    brands (and models) to go with.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Jon

    Charlie Ih Guest

    If you decide on Nikon, MB-D100 battery pack is a good option so that
    you can use standard AA batteries (longer battery life) and sound
    record/play and display. The 12-24 mm lens is another good option
    so that you don't suffer from lack of ultra wideangle coverage.
    With this ultra wideangle lens, you really don't have to go to
    the full size sensor DSLR. Good luck and have fun.

    Charlie Ih, Nov 10, 2003
  7. Hi Jon,

    The other people in this thread all make valid points but to me, you will
    require the same type of accessories for both makes and they will be
    available as both make great products.

    More important is that you try both out and feel which camera body you
    prefer. If, for example you are comparing the 10D to the D100, well
    personally I like the Nikon body design as my hands are not large and it
    just feels better, however I like military aircraft and Canon has the faster
    focusing system so I think I would end up getting the Canon and getting used
    to the body design (well, I started on a Zenith TTL so anything after cannot
    be as heavy!).

    Have to say is that I really want the Canon AF system in the Nikon bodies
    so that all those very nice manual focus lenses going back to the 70's could
    be used. Well, it may happen, I mean who expected Konica to buy Minolta?

    So, enjoy the camera you decide on but make sure to try them out as its a
    big purchase and you want to be comfy with it.

    Cheers,
    Stephen

    Stephen Leslie, Nov 10, 2003
  8. Jon

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I don't think it's been mentioned, but get an external flash.. One with a
    swivel head.

    The little pop up flashes aren't that effective. They're pretty well the same
    as what you get on the compact point and shoot cameras. Because they're
    relatively close to the lens and shoot directly at the subject, they are
    highly prone to causing red-eye, harsh illumination, and unwanted shadows.

    I don't know about Nikon, but the 420EX and 550EX Canon speed lights supply a
    nice bright focus assist beam as well. This really helps when shooting in
    very low light.

    Jim Townsend, Nov 11, 2003
  9. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Hi everyone,

    Thank you for your responses. I just have some follow up questions/answers
    and I have consolidated some of the e-mails:
    I am also considering the Canon 300S. There doesn't seem to be one single
    digital SLR that stands out and says "take me". From what I have read
    each seems to offer something the other doesn't.
    And to be honest the black body appeals to me more than the gray one (Canon
    300S). Yes, I know that's a purely cosmetic thought but I'm that shallow.
    :)
    I'm looking towards outdoor type of things (hills/farms/green things/etc)
    plus some sports-type of photography.
    Initially I looked only at Nikon because I've always liked Nikon's quality
    but I'm swayed more to Canon at this stage - mainly due to slightly more
    affordable price range and other components seem to be a bit more computer
    centric (I'm not sure if that makes alot of sense though).
    What about re-chargeable batteries/battery charger or are these not
    recommended for Nikon/Canon type of cameras.
    Yes, I thinking about some form of portable CD writer. My thoughts are that
    once you got one of these then you only need, at most, a couple of cards.
    The first one to use and the second one to burn to a CD whilst you are using
    the first one.

    reading...

    Or a large hit of caffeine. :)
    I have wondered how this affects digital cameras. Can they be used on such
    cameras?

    Jon.

    Jon, Nov 12, 2003