Optio S Out of Stock

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MS, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    I ordered a Pentax Optio S from PC Connection about two weeks ago. The rep
    said they were not in stock, backordered, and should be in within a couple
    days.

    Well, I still haven't received it, and looking at the order online, see that
    it hasn't been shipped yet, order still "in process".

    I called customer service, she told me they are still out of stock, and have
    not yet been notified by Pentax regarding when they will be coming in. She
    couldn't give me any estimate, as to when they will be available.

    PC Connection is a reliable mail, phone, and online dealer, and of course
    they haven't charged my credit card for the camera yet, until they ship it
    to me.

    But I'm wondering, why the long wait? Is Pentax USA completely out of this
    camera, waiting for some fresh ones to arrive from Japan? Anyone here knows
    what's going on, and when they will come in?

    Although I got a good deal from this vendor, if they don't come in soon, I
    might consider canceling the order, and order from someone who has some in
    stock. (Although it might be possible that the new batch might have some
    improvements and bug fixes, as it's such a new camera. Just guessing.)

    Anyone know what's going on?

    MS, Jul 19, 2003

  2. I just ordered an Optio S (for $325 + shipping) on Thursday from
    http://www.unclewades.com/prod.asp?prodid=PENOPTIOS. I got the
    shipping notification from FedEx yesterday, and its expected
    arrival time is Tuesday. I've never dealt with this company
    before, but it seems like a good deal (if you're willing to put
    up with a high-pressure sales type calling to up-sell you on
    accessories and such under the guise of "verifying" your address
    and CC info).

    -- William M. Miller

    William M. Miller, Jul 19, 2003

  3. MS

    MS Guest

    You're sure right about the "high pressure sales type". It was actually
    pretty annoying. It could cause me not to order from that company, but since
    the price was so much better than elsewhere, if I get the camera soon, no
    problems with it, and they don't bill me more than they are supposed to for
    it ($314.99 total), I guess it was a good choice to go with them. (Look at
    my other post for why I got that price--it had do do with a promotion they
    have until July 31, if you use an American Express card.)

    Their sales guy called this morning, as you say, under the guise of
    verification.

    I had already wrote in my order instructions, and in a follow-up e-mail,
    that I was interested in purchasing an extra battery, but no other
    accessories. That they should get back to me and tell me how much they would
    charge for an extra battery, whether they have it in stock, and I would
    decide whether to add it to the order.

    So, when this guy called me, he asked which battery I wanted--the regular or
    "high capacity". I told him I had only heard of one battery available for
    this camera, including from looking at the Pentax web site, I hadn't seen
    any option of a high capacity battery option.

    He insisted there was one. I asked for the price on both. He said $59 for
    the regular battery, $79 for the "high-capacity" battery. I told him no
    thank you, I had seen the battery for sale at a much lower price elsewhere.
    Then he said he'd give me a great deal--$69 for the "high-capacity battery".
    I repeated my "No", just the camera please.

    He also said that I couldn't get both the $10 off and free shipping for the
    Amex promotion. I insisted to him that that's what the web page says. He
    checked theweb page, and saw I was right, and said the page "must have just
    changed". (Perhaps they do that, hoping some people will just say "OK", and
    not insist on what they read.)

    When he saw that I definitely wasn't interested in purchasing anything else,
    just the camera, and wanted all of the promised promotion, he actually
    became quite rude, and it was clear that he wanted to get off the phone now
    as quickly as possible, I guess to try to make some money off someone else.
    (They must be paid on commission.) For instance, I asked when the camera
    will ship, and he was quite rude, and obviously didn't want to talk any
    more. He just said ten days. I asked him whether he meant they will ship it
    in ten days, or whether I can expect to receive it in ten days. (Even the
    latter seems long, I don't think any US shipping companies or post office
    will take ten days within the US.) He said again rudely "ten days", and hung
    up.

    The confirmation e-mail I received yesterday of the order does not show the
    promotions of free shipping, and $10 off. The web site says that is "figured
    later", the web checkout showed about $350, and so did the confirmation
    e-mail. So I better check that they only charge my card $314.99, and no
    more. I think I'll call customer service first thing on Monday.

    It sounded like they shipped yours pretty quickly, William. Did you order it
    with faster expedited shipping, or their regular (slowest) shipping? (Which
    I'm sure the free shipping will be.)

    I double-checked afterwards on the Pentax site, and only see one battery
    listed. Was this salesguy just ignorant of his products (bad enough), or
    trying to scam me to pay more for the battery, by saying it is "high
    capacity", when there is actually only one type?

    Let us know when you get yours. Thank you.

    MS, Jul 20, 2003
  4. One of the links down the right side of a Google search for

    Pentax "Optio S"

    was a link to a price survey engine (I forget which one), and it
    listed three vendors at this price. (It turned out that one of
    them was also UncleWades, operating under a different name --
    not unusual in the camera biz.) Interestingly, I just ran the
    same search, one of the links led to www.everyprice.com, and a
    link from there led to
    http://store.yahoo.com/royalcamera/pentaxoptios.html, which is
    offering $319. Again, I have no experience with this vendor, so
    caveat emptor.
    Be sure to check your credit card bill to make sure they
    included that discount. Lots of times people won't fight over
    $10, so it's "conveniently" forgotten.
    Yeah, he was pushing a "high capacity" battery. I thought I
    remembered seeing it there, but I can't find it now -- it might
    have been somewhere else. I wasn't interested in buying
    anything else from them at that point, so I didn't ask about
    specifications (and wasn't overly confident that I would get
    accurate and useful information from the sales guy, anyway).
    Check the capacity of the battery before you buy. I've seen
    one that came in around 500 maH, much less than the 710 maH
    of the Pentax cell. That could easily translate into lost
    shots.

    -- William M. Miller

    William M. Miller, Jul 20, 2003
  5. You might wish to consider this, if it's not too late.....

    I ordered one from Walmart on Tues Jul 8th. Confirmed on June 10th
    Price = $396
    Shipping = $2 regular UPS.
    but....
    they included one free 128mb SD card. (none are included with the
    camera.)

    Mine arrived Friday Jul 11th--3 days later-- from shipped Chicago. (I
    live about 500 miles from Chi-town.)

    Plus, it's Walmart--they send you a prepaid mailer with the camera, in
    case you need to send it back for any reason. Plus, you can return it
    to any Walmart in the country.

    Yeah, the cost is a little more up front, but (for all purposes) free
    shipping and a free $60 memory card, and the ability to do business
    with a reputable company like Walmart--which is EVERYWHERE--how much
    is THAT worth?

    RR

    On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 11:36:37 -0700, " MS"

    Ralph O'Rourke, Jul 21, 2003
  6. SORRY
    Should read July10th

    Ralph O'Rourke, Jul 21, 2003
  7. MS

    MS Guest

    Yes, I looked at the generic on a few sites, and it must all be the same
    generic, at 500 rather than the 710 maH of the Pentax battery. Definitely
    better to pay a few bucks more to get the Pentax battery in this case.
    (Often generic products are just as good as the brand name, at a lot lower
    price. Doesn't seem to be the case here.)

    And I think that is what this jerk was trying to sell me--the regular
    standard Pentax battery as a "high capacity battery" for $79, and the
    generic battery for $59!
    I guess that place lures people in with low prices, but then tries to make
    it up with high "shipping" charges, and selling accessories at much higher
    prices than they are sold elsewhere, even misrepresenting what they are (as
    in calling the standard Pentax battery "high capacity".)

    MS, Jul 21, 2003