Optimum escalation strategy

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Martin Brown, Nov 21, 2014.

  1. Martin Brown

    Martin Brown Guest

    The story so far... Rural North Yorkshire village with very finite
    number of copper pairs into it. New build has added four new homes who
    not surprisingly want landlines and BT are "doing their best". Their
    tinkering is breaking existing circuits and they have yet to connect any
    of the newcomers to the phone system giving them various excuses. They
    have been prevaricating over this for about three months.

    This latest effort has resulted in trashing my line and a neighbours
    such that we now have an intermittent party line with enormous amounts
    of clicking popping and banging on it. We can hear each others calls
    faintly. Broadband is stable for only minutes at a time drops and
    renegotiates or fails requiring a full router reboot to get DNS back.

    Strangely the physical line still claims to be synched but with 0dB
    signal margin - nothing works at all and attempts to refresh or resynch
    without a full hard reset of the router almost never works.

    I have had an open fault with EE since Monday passed to OpenReach who
    promised to fix it by 1pm yesterday. If anything after their "fix" it is
    now even worse with transient voltages on the line sufficient to make
    the bell tinkle! Voice is barely intelligible and the ringing of a bell
    when making a call has a highly distorted loud echo on the line. Some of
    the time the line is clean and noise free but the ratio of good to bad
    times is getting less and less favourable.

    ADSL sync speed is in the spiral of death getting slower with every line
    drop. I have chased it again today and been promised a fix by next
    Tuesday and have extracted the escalation number from them ready for
    when Openreach fail to deliver.

    I don't expect them to deliver on this repair because I know for a fact
    that there are no remaining good copper pairs back to the exchange.

    Where do we go from here? And how do I escalate it most effectively to
    get my own line fixed and also a landline service for the new residents.

    Thanks for any suggestions or enlightenment.

    Martin Brown, Nov 21, 2014

  2. Martin Brown

    Graham J Guest

    Do you not have pikeys who would rip up all the copper wiring and sell
    it for scrap?

    Openreach would then have to replace it all - so would hopefully install
    sufficient new pairs.

    Get the local TV company to run an early evening news item on it, with
    video of Openreach techicians down holes in the road and up poles.

    A colleague who worked in China had his passport taken away until the
    job was completed to the satisfaction of the Chinese employer. Perhaps
    you could kidnap a van-load of Openreach technicians ....???

    Graham J, Nov 21, 2014

  3. Martin Brown

    tony sayer Guest

    Well they should pull in another cable then!..
    Http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=12034&c=BT Retail

    http://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=9593&c=Openreach

    Worked for me with a Rail company:)...

    tony sayer, Nov 21, 2014
  4. Martin Brown

    tony sayer Guest

    Do you not have pikeys who would rip up all the copper wiring and sell
    it for scrap?[/QUOTE]

    Crafty..

    But how long would it take them to run in a new cable;?...

    tony sayer, Nov 21, 2014
  5. Martin Brown

    Woody Guest

    Is there a school or library in or near the village with
    NYNet?

    Woody, Nov 21, 2014
  6. Took a couple of weeks when a 400 pair line needed replacing
    which fed my parents and their neighbours. One neighbour died,
    unable to use his emergency alert button after he fell over,
    and was stuck on the floor for a day before being found by
    his next-door neighbours.

    After the initial reconnection, it took another couple of days
    to get the correct line reconnected, rather than the business
    line of the bloke across the road.

    Andrew Gabriel, Nov 22, 2014
  7. Martin Brown

    Graham. Guest

    Your visit to CEOemail.com

    You seem to be having problems accessing our website today.

    Your options now are:
    Visit the site http://www.ceoemail.com

    Pay for commercial use of the site
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^??????
    Contact us
    Tip: You cannot use "bookmarks" or "favourites" to access individual
    CEO details on this site. So, if you are trying to return to a saved
    "bookmark" or "favourite" please go to the front page of the
    http://ceoemail.com site.

    We look forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you!

    Graham., Nov 22, 2014
  8. Martin Brown

    Optimist Guest

    Wireless broadband would enable you to dispense with Openreach altogether.

    Optimist, Nov 30, 2014
  9. Martin Brown

    newshound Guest

    I'd certainly consider a letter to your MP. He's likely to give Ofcom a
    boot up the backside.

    newshound, Nov 30, 2014
  10. Martin Brown

    Mike Perkins Guest

    Have you considered changing it to a business line? I know it costs
    more, but there might be providers out there who give better
    compensation for every day your line is out of action.

    As soon as all is fixed, revert back to a residential line!

    Mike Perkins, Nov 30, 2014
  11. Martin Brown

    bert Guest

    He/she will forward your letter no doubt and will copy their reply back
    to you. But you may as well go direct via ofcom website.

    bert, Nov 30, 2014
  12. Martin Brown

    newshound Guest

    In my personal experience (admittedly not with Ofcom) an MP or
    minister's letter does not get fobbed off in the same way that an
    ordinary member of the public may be.

    newshound, Dec 11, 2014