    pc's are optimised for 56k dial-up by default and that I should optimise my
    750k modem does anybody know how to do this or have any other suggestions
    to make my surfing faster. I'm using windows me.

    David Green, Jan 21, 2005

  2. David Green

    Pennywise Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:35:36 GMT, "David Green"

    |> hi all. I have just gone on to ntl broadband and I am not convinced I am
    |> surfing the net as fast as I should be. someone did suggest to me that most
    |> pc's are optimised for 56k dial-up by default and that I should optimise my
    |> 750k modem does anybody know how to do this or have any other suggestions
    |> to make my surfing faster. I'm using windows me.

    Switch to XP, seriously it sees faster internet speeds.
    Also check this page out:
    http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

    Pennywise, Jan 21, 2005

  3. David Green

    Jerry G. Guest

    The speed on the internet is not a direct function of the registry. There is
    a lot more involved.

    The most important thing to start with is how fast your modem itself is on
    the line. This is effected by the amount of traffic, and the specifications
    and performance of the telephone lines to the system network.

    If you are using a modem that feeds the Ethernet port of the machine, it
    will be faster than any of the USB modems. There is also the aspect of how
    fast the browser can work in the particular machine, and operating system.
    The amount of RAM can also play a big part in this as well.

    Also, if there are a lot of resource heavy type software's running in the
    background, this will slow down the response of the browser as well.

    If you want to know the speed that the modem is working at, call your ISP,
    and ask them for a recommended site to visit and perform the test.

    There are all kinds of speed testing sites. You don't want to use a site
    that is located thousands of miles from your location. The test will then
    include more of any congestion that is along the way back to you. Mind you,
    this would be a worse case scenario test.

    If you want to go for very good speed, you should see if your local cable TV
    company can provide you with a modem for high speed internet. They are
    typically 5 to 6 mb/sec and faster.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    Jerry G., Jan 21, 2005
  4. David Green

    Rob K Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:35:36 GMT, David Green wrote:

    That is simply not true.....
    Pc's can work well with a 56k dial-up , but equally well and a lot
    faster with other network connections, ranging from say the good old
    100MBit to the very latest and fastest.

    There's no such thing as a prevailing standard connection speed, so
    there's no reason to 'optimize'.

    Read a more here and take the test:
    http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/band-test/

    HTH

    Rob K, Jan 22, 2005
  5. David Green

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Rob K mused:

    | That is simply not true.....
    | Pc's can work well with a 56k dial-up , but equally well and a lot
    | faster with other network connections, ranging from say the good old
    | 100MBit to the very latest and fastest.

    It is *somewhat* true. Win98, for one, and perhaps ME, were not
    optimized for LAN/broadband traffic. Making a few simple tweaks in the
    registry can greatly increase throughput when on broadband and using a Win9x
    OS. While there are a few tweaks for XP and 2000, they don't really need
    them.

    mhicaoidh, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Or you can go to www.speedguide.net and use the TCP/IP Optimizer
    located in Broadband-->Broadband Tools. Look at the menu on the left.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 22, 2005