Optimal Viewing Distance vs Dots Per Inch

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mexican_equivalent, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to determining the optimal
    viewing distance for a particular dpi?

    mexican_equivalent, Aug 30, 2006

  2. mexican_equivalent

    Martin Brown Guest

    A rough rule of thumb is that the dots should not be resolvable by the
    human eye at the preferred viewing distance. This translates roughly to
    something like:

    Minimum viewing distance (in inches) = 2000 / dpi

    For ideal identical dot sizes in continuous tone printing. Roughly
    equivalent to an ideal eye resolution of cleanly separating two black
    dots with one pixel inbetween when the angle subtended at the eye is 3'
    arc (or 0.001 radian).

    We can haggle about the constant in practice. In strong light I can
    resolve the pattern in a halftone 600dpi laser print at about 10" so a
    more conservative estimate might be

    Min viewing distance (in inches) = 6000 / dpi

    And not all dots are created equal - especially in CMYK halftone
    rendition where unlucky clusters of dots with a range of sizes can be
    visible at larger distances.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Aug 30, 2006

  3. mexican_equivalent

    stauffer Guest

    Do you mean printer dots or pixels per inch. There is not a clear
    answer for the measure of printer dots, but for pixels, the pixels
    should subtend significantly less than a minute of arc for the distance.

    stauffer, Aug 30, 2006
  4. mexican_equivalent

    sac_cans1b06 Guest

    i dont think so, wait and your answer will come

    sac_cans1b06, Aug 30, 2006
  5. mexican_equivalent

    Robert Cooze Guest

    IMHO looks like a multiple exposure to me or a long exposure with
    multiple flash strobes (redeye ?) or something deliberate.

    Robert Cooze, Aug 30, 2006