    much as great OPTICAL zoom power does. What would be difference in
    quality of photo? Which is more important to buy--higher megapixal or
    high zoom? Why? thx

    Joan, May 5, 2006

  2. Joan

    pbdelete Guest

    Asfair, you need pixels in square more to match a double zoom. So zoom wins.

    pbdelete, May 5, 2006

  3. Neither wins, they work together. More pixels will not help if the
    quality of the optics is not up to the job. The amount of zoom is not a
    measure of quality. In fact I would generally say the very high zoom ranges
    tends to relate to poor image quality.

    Joseph Meehan, May 6, 2006
  4. Joan

    RW+/- Guest

    Sheesh, took a while to figure out your logic. :)

    Bottom line, larger prints require more megapixels.

    Sure you could crop in camera via the lens but with a 4 meg camera you
    cannot print as big as you could with 8 meg, etc.

    Hint for you, if you go with a dSLR be very sure you are getting what you
    really want. If you like to do a lot of low light photography this can be
    very important.

    You can always buy/add to your collection better/longer zooms as needed.

    Quality of photo's are fully dependent on your skills and perceptions.

    RW+/-, May 6, 2006
  5. Joan

    pbdelete Guest

    Asfair, you need pixels in square more to match a double zoom. So
    I meant on the prerequisite that the parts are up to the job .. :)
    Sloppy manufacturing is crap in all ways.

    pbdelete, May 6, 2006
  6. Joan

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Square root of megapixels is equivalent to linear zoom ratio. It takes
    four times as many megapixels to equal a zoom by 2X.

    Don Stauffer, May 6, 2006