    My own experience has been that Cameras with only LCD screens are
    extremely difficult to use in bright sunlight.

    Aaron

    aaronep, May 29, 2010

  2. Unfortunately, cost-cutting, large lens zoom range, and size reduction
    don't favour the optical viewfinder. You might want to consider a DSLR or
    camera with an EVF.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 29, 2010

  3. I agree, and I also prefer an optical eyelevel finder (and it is also
    easier to hold the camera steady with these). There is a possible
    solution (but not for those who favor "compact" over "good
    functionality") with something like the Hoodman LCD loupes (see --
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hood+loupe&tag=
    googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=2966091661&ref=pd_sl_173vx3hgfi_b
    for some). Also see -- http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1024
    and other solutions at -- http://www.hoodmanusa.com. Not perfect,
    but better than peering at that dark screen out there at the ends of
    your arms...! ;-)
    --David Ruether
    www.donferrario.com/ruether

    David Ruether, May 29, 2010
  4. aaronep

    SMS Guest

    LOL, no, that's not the reason. The reason is cost. An optical
    viewfinder that adjusts as the lens zooms adds too much cost.
    That's your experience and the experience of everyone else on the
    planet. Unfortunately, most people don't even realize the problem until
    after they've purchased a camera without an optical viewfinder.

    The best advice is to find a camera you like with a viewfinder and buy a
    lifetime supply.

    "If you find something you really, really like, buy a lifetime supply;
    because it'll either be changed for the worse or go out of production."
    Quote from Rivendell Bicycle's Web Site

    SMS, May 29, 2010
  5. aaronep

    ray Guest

    $$$$$$$$$$$$

    BTW - if you try an EVF camera with decent resolution (in the viewfinder)
    you may change your mind. Personally, I have no use whatever for the lcd
    screen on the back of the camera - I'd as soon rip the sucker off and
    throw it away.

    ray, May 29, 2010
  6. aaronep

    SMS Guest

    Yes, an EVF is an acceptable substitute for an OVF. What you should
    never buy is any camera that lacks at least one of those.

    SMS, May 29, 2010
  7. aaronep

    J. Clarke Guest

    Ever try an electronic viewfinder (NOT the same as the LCD on the back)?
    While they have their disadvantages, being difficult to use in bright
    sunlight is not one of them.

    Optical finders that do more than give a rough idea of where the lens is
    pointed aren't particularly cheap or easy to implement, especially on a
    very thin camera.

    And there's always the option of an entry-level SLR.

    J. Clarke, May 29, 2010
  8. aaronep

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Good viewfinders are expensive and people don't want to pay for them,
    and cheap viewfinders are next to worthless and people don't want to
    use them.

    And yes, "people" includes you.

    Ray Fischer, May 29, 2010
  9. aaronep

    ASCII Guest

    I once bought a camera without either, had ground glass at the focal plane,
    just had to remember to close the shutter and remove the dark slide.
    Then again maybe that was considered OVF? (non reflex)

    ASCII, May 29, 2010
  10. aaronep

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Heh. A few days ago I was with a bunch of school kids in a cave and
    took some pictures. The only illumination was their flashlights, and
    the only way I could take pictures was to set the camera on a rock and
    do a five second exposure. Since it was so dark viewfinders (both
    kinds) were next to useless, but since it was an SLR I could see where
    the lens was pointed.

    Ray Fischer, May 29, 2010
  11. aaronep

    Rich Guest

    Pity them.

    Rich, May 29, 2010
  12. aaronep

    J. Clarke Guest

    Go down to Best Buy and take a look at a Canon SX-20IS or a Nikon
    Coolpix P-100. If they're too rich for your blood B&H has Fuji S1800s
    in stock for under 200 bucks.

    All have eye level electronic finders that work just fine in direct
    sunlight. So do a bunch of others from Olympus, Sony, Casio, Kodak,
    Panasonic, Samsung, and others. Even some cheap Chinese crap ("Vivikai"
    for example).

    Or just get an SLR and be done with it.

    J. Clarke, May 29, 2010
  13. aaronep

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Oh look - a dumbass rightard chimes in to be an asshole.

    How special.

    Ray Fischer, May 29, 2010
  14. aaronep

    Dave Cohen Guest

    I've seen people using the lcd finder on models that did have an optical
    finder. And not only on lower end models, I saw someone doing this with
    a G series canon and there didn't appear to be any particular reason for
    doing so (like taking advantage of the swivel lcd). Personally, I'm in
    the 'I like a viewfinder camp'. Maybe it has to do with using film
    cameras for such a long time.

    Dave Cohen, May 29, 2010
  15. aaronep

    M-M Guest

    You cannot shoot continuous on a moving subject (like birds or airplanes
    flying) without an optical VF.

    M-M, May 29, 2010
  16. aaronep

    Ofnuts Guest

    Indeed. And it makes me wonder why the EVF cameras have got a burst
    shooting mode...

    Ofnuts, May 29, 2010
  17. With the Sony 707 (and 717), so long as the items of interest
    were not too distant for the camera's built-in IR illumination,
    the camera could be set up for viewing in the dark with IR, but
    switching to color at the instant of shooting (with flash). It
    worked well...;-)
    --DR

    David Ruether, May 29, 2010
  18. aaronep

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 29/05/10 8:08 AM, wrote:
    : > Can someone tell me why digital camera makers are no longer offering
    : > optical viewfinders on their cameras?
    : >
    : > One salesman in retail shop claimed they are not necessary because LCD
    : > screens are now brighter than in previous years and obviate the need
    : > for optical viewfinders.
    :
[...]

    That's why I have a lifetime supply of those fine old heavy-duty keyboards
    that IBM made for their PCs. The one I'm typing on at this moment was made in
    1986.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 29, 2010
  19. aaronep

    Bill W D Guest

    Now there's a load of crap if I've ever read any. This is precisely when a
    LCD can be of benefit. Particularly when doing macro shots of small flying
    insects. They cannot be followed at all in any optical viewfinder. But
    using an LCD to keep them framed and in focus is a cinch.

    Bill W D, May 30, 2010
  20. aaronep

    Ken Walls Guest

    I can still see an image in my LCD and EVF equipped cameras when the
    exposure calls for 5 seconds. In one of my cameras I can even see an image
    when the exposure calls for 1 minute and longer. In that particular LCD/EVF
    camera you can frame and focus with it in total darkness by its IR LED
    lights alone. You're either lying, cripplingly inexperienced, or don't know
    how to buy a proper camera for the job.

    Ken Walls, May 30, 2010