Optical disc makers lean towards HD DVD not Blu-ray.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Optical disc makers lean towards HD DVD not Blu-ray 10:51AM

    Leading manufacturers of optical discs in Taiwan are leaning ever so
    slightly toward support of HD DVD, as opposed to Blu-ray Disc, as the
    standard for next-generation DVD format, as the Taiwan-based makers
    will incur much lower costs if they adopt their production equipment
    to the HD DVD platform, according to local industry experts.

    However, Taiwan-based makers will produce discs based on Blu-ray if
    that standard is adopted.

    The Video Software Dealers Association (VSDA), a video retail trade
    association in the US, called for a compromise between the two
    blue-laser groups to adopt a single standard at its 2005 Home
    Entertainment meeting last week.

    CMC Magnetics and Ritek plan to start production of blue-laser DVD
    discs as early as the end of this year, while Lite-On IT and BenQ plan
    to offer blue-laser disc drives at the end of 2005 or the first
    quarter of 2006, according to the companies.

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/75826/optical-disc-makers-lean-towards-hd-dvd-not-bluray.html

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Allan

    Mike Guest

    This Blu-ray is not impressive to me. I want something that has a
    larger capacity of my corporate tape drive. THEN i would be impressed.

    Mike, Aug 17, 2005