    total of 5x altogether?

    Hope that makes sense :)

    Thanks in advance.

    JW, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Most of the time I believe it would mean 15X, but don't count on it. I
    don't believe there is a standard.

    Who cares? You can digital zoom anytime, you don't need to do it when
    you take the picture. It is only optical zoom that is real. Digital zoom
    is imaginary.

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 26, 2004

  3. JW

    chidalgo Guest

    JW escribio:
    The 1st one.

    But NEVER use digital zoom, period!

    chidalgo, Nov 26, 2004
  4. JW

    Jer Guest

    I think in most cameras with both, optical and digital zoom factors are
    a product when used together. (3x) x (4x) = (12x) On a Canon A95, if
    digital zoom is enabled, the digital zoom picks up at the long end of
    optical zoom.

    optical zoom....
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/Focal_Length_01.htm

    digital zoom...
    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=digital+zoom

    Jer, Nov 26, 2004
  5. Expanding on that a little: Digital zoom merely crops out a small section
    of the picture and duplicates the pixels to fill the frame. It does not
    actually magnify any fine detail in the picture. It is exactly like
    cropping and resampling your picture in Photoshop later. So you don't need
    it at all. It's not real zoom.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 26, 2004
  6. JW

    Guest Guest

    Digital zoom isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    I'm happy with my Canon S1; the digital zoom has helped in a few instances,
    but the 10x optical zoom is what counts.
    Focus on good photography techniques, and purchase a decent camera. If you
    want zoom power, read up and keep doing your research, save your pennies and
    get something you'll be pleased with in the long run.
    ~Kimberlee

    Guest, Nov 27, 2004