    Comments? Is there a better printer for the same price or within $100?
    Pros and cons?

    thanks

    rbaker3, May 2, 2006

  2. rbaker3

    Ed Ruf Guest

    I own an R800 and am happy with it. Note these are pigment based inks
    which can look a fair bit different than the dye based inks of the
    12x0. Look at some of the on-line reviews.
    FWIW, you could also buy a new 1280 from Epson directly for $300
    counting a $100 mail in rebate.
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=28907797
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, May 2, 2006

  3. Use Epson ink, and use it *every* day.

    Floyd L. Davidson, May 2, 2006
  4. rbaker3

    rbaker3 Guest

    Thanks. I noticed that rebate. I loved my 1280, but I have been wanting to
    upgrade for sometime now to something better. Spending a couple hundred
    more for something better with higher resolution, archival inks, better
    prints in general supposedly, etc is worth it.

    rbaker3, May 2, 2006
  5. rbaker3

    bmoag Guest

    Funny you should ask.
    My 1280 died and I got an r1800.
    I got the 1280 fixed--replacing the print head was about half the cost of a
    new 1280 (did you have the blue lines of death?). This was a sentimental and
    not a wise economic decision.
    In truth side by side print comparisons show some differences between the
    r1800 and the 1280--as to which is better is a matter of choice.
    Print longevity is not an issue for me as I doubt anyone will care to see my
    inkjet masterpieces two hundred years from now.
    Despite what I have read in some reviews I do not see startling differences
    in color range, depth, brightness etc when prints from a 1280 and 1800 are
    compared side to side, but there are subtle differences.
    One caveat with the r1800 is that a gloss optimizer, which has to be
    activated in the print driver, is sprayed over glossy papers leading to a
    border effect such that you may want to trim the excess paper or always
    mount behind a cutout matte.
    At times I have been forced to print text with the 1280, not something I
    would recommend with the r1800 but not impossible either.
    I hope you calibrate your monitor and use color management as these are both
    unforgiving printers.

    bmoag, May 2, 2006
  6. rbaker3

    John Guest

    With some types of prints (e.g. monochromes) the R800/1800 runs
    rings around the 1280.
    No it doesn't. The option to turn gloss optimizer off or on is in the
    printer driver.
    We print business statements every month with an R800. Text mode
    is excellent although pretty slow.

    John, May 2, 2006
  7. rbaker3

    rbaker3 Guest

    I just got the R1800 and so far I love it. It's a lot faster and quieter!
    I'm wondering what the difference is in the R2400 that justifies $300 more.
    I thought about buying it, but couldn't justify the price at the time. Only
    thing I notice in the description is K3 Ink.

    thanks

    rbaker3, May 2, 2006
  8. rbaker3

    Pat Guest

    I like mine.

    Pat, May 3, 2006

  9. I've had mine for half a year and am very happy with it.
    The resolution is incredible, the gamut excellent for a
    pigment ink printer.

    In truth it's the first pigment ink printer I've seen that
    does a credible job on glossy paper.

    rafe b
    www.terrapinphoto.com

    Raphael Bustin, May 3, 2006