    brand name)?

    TIA

    Renee

    Renee, May 16, 2005

  2. Renee

    dylan Guest

    Haven't got one, yet, but the LG models always seem to get good reviews and
    the price looks good, and they do DVD-RAM if required. The cheapest models
    shown aren't the laster models, there is now a 16x DVD GSA-4163BA which
    sells in the UK for £44, so should be about $44 in the US.

    dylan, May 16, 2005

  3. Renee

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Renee) wrote in

    What do you consider "off brands"? I see LG, Panasonic and NEC among
    others.

    DVD burners just aren't that expensive these days.

    Double-layer media, on the other hand, is a different story.

    Bert Hyman, May 16, 2005
  4. Renee

    Hi There Guest

    LG Electronics (formerly Goldstar) is one of the major brands. They make a
    lot of drives for well-known brand names like Dell, HP, etc.

    Kerry

    Hi There, May 16, 2005
  5. Renee

    Alfred Molon Guest

    DL media are unbelievably expensive. Any idea when the prices will start
    to go down ?

    Alfred Molon, May 16, 2005
  6. Renee

    Renee Guest

    It was LG that caught my eye with DL drives under $40. I had never heard of
    LG and mistakenly thought it was an off-brand. I didn't look much past the
    LG and MSI brands the first time around. Now that I take another look I see
    that Sony is on there, too.

    Single-layer media is reasonably priced so if that were an issue for
    someone, they could use that with the burner until the price of DL media
    comes down. If someone was concerned about the price at this point in time,
    is there any reason why that should still keep them from purchasing the
    drive? For example, has anyone heard of compatibility issues where SL discs
    burned on a DL drive are a problem to read on another drive?

    Renee, May 16, 2005
  7. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Thanks for that. I had no idea. I bought a pretty basic desktop from Dell
    Business that only came with a CD reader, not writer. I have an external DVD
    burner I use for both my laptop and desktop. It's worked out fine so far.
    But with prices that low for a DL drive, I thought I might indulge myself
    someday down the road.

    Renee

    Renee, May 16, 2005
  8. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Thank you, that's good to know about the reviews since I hadn't checked.
    About that DVD-RAM thing -- I don't know anyone personally who uses that. I
    suppose it has its uses and advantages I'm not aware of.

    Renee, May 16, 2005
  9. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Yes they are expensive. A quick search on tigerdirect lists them at $5 to
    $7.60 per disc! That just doesn't make much $ense for most people. It's like
    what they do with printers -- sell them real cheap and get you on the
    cartridges.

    Renee, May 16, 2005
  10. Renee

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Renee) wrote in

    I've read of lots of other compatibility problems, but not that one
    specifically. Media compatibility is a big topic among the folks who
    do a lot of DVD burning. See http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia for
    more information than you would ever want :)

    Beware that many new stand-alone DVD players still won't play DVD+R
    media.

    Bert Hyman, May 16, 2005
  11. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it for when I'm ready to do some
    serious shopping.

    My TV's DVD player will only play DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW discs. It seems
    strange that many players won't take DVD+R.

    It would be nice if the DL burner I get writes to all the formats I can use
    in my TV's DVD player. PCMag highly rates a Memorex burner but it doesn't do
    DVD-R. The burner I'm using now writes to all formats CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+/-R,
    DVD+/-RW. Right now I mostly use DVD-R -- for more universal
    compatibility -- and DVD+RW -- for superior performance. Though I could be
    wrong about my reasons for doing that.

    Renee

    Renee, May 16, 2005
  12. Renee

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Renee) wrote in

    My old Panasonic wouldn't play DVD+R, but my burner (Lite-On) came
    with a utility to set the disk's "book type" to DVD-ROM, after which
    it played just fine.

    My new Sony player (NS50P) claims to be able to play just about every
    format I've ever heard of; it cost $70.

    My Lite-On burner does DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW and DVD+R9 (dual layer); it
    cost $49.

    These things are ->cheap.

    Bert Hyman, May 16, 2005
  13. Renee

    Matt Ion Guest

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0520-0, 05/16/2005
    Tested on: 5/16/2005 10:13:19 AM

    Matt Ion, May 16, 2005
  14. Renee

    Jim Townsend Guest

    I just upgraded my old HP burner to a Plextor PX-716A burner that will
    burn DL disks.

    The DL disks are *expensive*, but I'm sure that will come down as DL
    burners become more popular.

    The reason I went with double layer is that the disks hold 8.5 Gigs.. It
    means less disk swapping every Sunday when I back up my photo collection.
    Seems they all do the same, but if they don't make sure you can burn and
    read both DVD-R and DVD+R

    Jim Townsend, May 16, 2005
  15. Renee

    Owamanga Guest

    You currently do this onto 8.5Gig DL DVDR/W every week?

    Owamanga, May 16, 2005
  16. Speaking of drives, does anyone know of a two bay external USB
    enclosure? Or would that be too much heat?

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, May 16, 2005
  17. Ok, found some: http://www.fwdepot.com/thestore/default.php

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, May 16, 2005
  18. Renee

    birdman Guest

    I would wait for blu-ray or HD-DVD to duke it out in the market.
    I have been using a Sony dual layer model for seveal months: it is
    worthless.
    The cost of one dual layer disc is between 4 and 8 times the cost of single
    layer media:hardly a cost-effective solution.
    If you do not fill up both layers on one burn you are out of luck adding
    anything to your ~$10 dual layer DVD recordable disc. There is also a
    significant rate of failed burned dual layer discs.
    If you succeed in making a disc there is no guarantee that read only DVD
    drives in another computer will be able to read the data.
    In reality even if you are "backing up" a commercial DVD video it is hit or
    miss if your television DVD player will read the disc, even if it has read
    previous discs made with the same drive in the same way. This gets very
    expensive and generally it is cheaper to buy another copy of the DVD video.

    birdman, May 16, 2005
  19. Renee

    Old Bugger Guest

    Go for the Pioneer.

    Old Bugger, May 16, 2005
  20. Renee

    David Chien Guest

    Anyone have opinions as to why or why not they might purchase a DL burner if
    Don't!

    Why?

    www.cdrinfo.com and http://homepage2.nifty.com/yss/

    Note: PI/PO error rate charts for each burner.

    ---

    Basically, poor quality burners make DVDs with high PI/PO error
    rates, which means they have more errors and will be trouble reading in
    the future. Do you want to risk your photos to burners that make poorly
    written discs with high error rates?

    DON'T go buying a dirt-cheap burner for photo storage unless you
    specifically pick a burner + DVD media combo that generates tested low
    PI/PO error rates (and even then, I wouldn't trust it).

    2nd tier and lower quality burners can give you good burns, but you
    do have to pick the right media.

    ---

    Anyways, otherwise, Pioneer 109 or Plextor 716a series. Later is
    better since you can make your own PI/PO accurate scans at home and
    comes with the software to do it. But both, generally, will burn to
    quality media (eg. 16x Verbatim DVD+R discs, 2.4x DL Verbatim DL+R
    discs, 8x or faster Maxell DVD+/-R discs) with super-low PI/PO error
    rates and excellent readability, and generally very good performance
    across a wide range of discs.

    (example of horrible burners - just look at some of the LiteOn, etc.
    burns! high PI/PO error rates that top 100 even on discs that the
    Pioneer/Plextor can handle well; also, look esp. at the DL burns -
    nothing out there tops the lowest PI/PO error rates I've seen coming off
    my Pioneer 109 DL burner)

    The other burners out there, eh, I've researched dozens for days
    before buying both burners above and haven't come across anything else
    yet that performs better, whether in online reviews or in Japanese
    computer magazine tests comparing various burners.

    (bought both since I like the faster 109 tray load/unload speeds,
    but wanted the PI/PO scanning of the 716a - but both excellent burners
    quality wise)

    ---

    finally, videohelp.com -> dvd players for the compatiblity of your
    player. You will want to pick the format (+ or -) depending on what
    your player handles. (Otherwise, simply buy the excellent Philips
    DVP642 DVD/DIVX/XVID/MPEG4/MPEG2/MPEG1/SVCD/VCD/CD/JPEG CD player for
    <$70 at walmart.com stores which will handle everything you generally
    toss at it.)

    ---

    So, buy a Pioneer or Plextor, quality Verbatim or Maxell media, and
    you'll be fine. Verbatim DL+R ONLY for dual layer burns - it's the only
    media out there that burns with low PI/PO error rates and can be trusted
    to last a few years out w/o disc rot or delamination. (also, don't flex
    those DVD discs too much!!!!! Too much flexing can lead to glue layer
    failure and disc delamination -- after all, they're all glued together
    unlike CDs)

    David Chien, May 16, 2005