    Please help to fix. I do not want to lose any files. Shall I put in
    the windows XP system CD now to reinstall XP? Will this wipe out my
    data?

    CJ, Oct 28, 2006

  2. CJ

    G. Morgan Guest

    Boot with a Windows CD to DOS. At the command line type:

    fdisk /mbr

    G. Morgan, Oct 28, 2006

  3. CJ

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan, Oct 28, 2006
  4. Whoops!
    As you found out, it is NEVER a good idea to interrupt a disk utility by
    force-restarting your computer in the middle of an operation.
    If you don't want to lose your data which I assume has not been backed
    up, I suggest at this point you take your computer to someone who knows
    what he is doing. Depending on what your Rollback software was doing
    exactly, (from how long you say it was taking, it could have been doing
    a rebuild of the directory structure - or at least shuffling a lot of
    things around) it sounds like you really messed things up when you hit
    the reset button in the middle of its operations.

    David Matthew Wood, Oct 28, 2006
  5. CJ

    CJ Guest

    Thanks. I am certain it is Rollback Rx software, and it was at about
    48% done area, i forced it stopped and pushed the restart button. The
    last time I had all data backed up is around Oct 1, 2006. I backed up
    all the data but no installed files and no outlook emails.

    Sorry I am computer layman. How can I safely go back at least in DOS
    directory and how can I move the files into a network computer or other
    drives in DOS?

    CJ, Oct 28, 2006
  6. CJ

    John John Guest

    You'd best consult the website and authors of this program for advice
    and instructions else you might loose ALL your data! If this thing
    mucked up the Master Boot Record (MBR) you don't want to aggravate
    things anymore than they are now!

    John

    John John, Oct 28, 2006
  7. No, it wasn't the rollback software, it was you pushing the reset button
    WHILE the rollback software was doing a major disk operation.
    As Meat Plow says, take it to someone who knows what he is doing and can
    *HOPEFULLY* recover your files.

    David Matthew Wood, Oct 28, 2006