"Operating System Not Found"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by PowerPost2000, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. A friend is having a problem with her computer. she's written to HP
    several times, but hasn't had any luck.

    When it starets, it gives a message Operating System Not Found. It
    came with 3 recovery Disks. When you put in disk 1 and reboot, it
    says hard disk not found. When you restart it and go into Setup, the
    HD is the primary master and the CD is the secondary master.

    It's confusing. It knows the HD is there, but when you go to use it,
    it can't be found.

    Can't give you too many details. It's an HP Pavillion, 20 GB HD, 64
    MB RAM. Setup says the OS is Win98/Win2000. Don't know how bith OSs
    can be present, but not found.

    the tech letters said to swap the cables between the HD and CD-ROM. I
    tried that, and setup still says both drives are present, but then
    they can't be found.

    One last thing. when the computer is starting, a noise comes from the
    area of the HD. it sounds almost like a marble dropping into a frying
    pan. could a cooked HD cause any of the trouble I've described?

    thanks

    PowerPost2000, Jan 23, 2004

  2. On 23 Jan 2004, PowerPost2000 wrote
    -snip-

    Your friend's not gonna like this, but that's precisely the error
    message I got on an HP Pavilion (3250 -- old box, from 1998), when my
    hard disk fried.

    (In my case, a chip on the HD had burned right through -- you could
    smell it -- and I didn't get any sound at all from the drive.)

    Harvey Van Sickle, Jan 23, 2004

  3. PowerPost2000

    PhilÅ Guest

    The hard disk is knackered..

    PhilÅ, Jan 23, 2004
  4. PowerPost2000

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot from a Win98 startup floppy and run scandisk on c: .
    If you still have trouble, try typing (at the A:> DOS prompt):

    sys c:

    °Mike°, Jan 23, 2004
  5. PowerPost2000

    Harrison Guest