    "Operating system not found" on power up. System will then boot
    normally after turning off then on again. OS is WinXP.

    Would this be anything BUT an intermittent hardware problem?

    Richard Owlett, Dec 10, 2003

  2. Richard Owlett

    Harrison Guest

    Bingo. Check the cables.

    Harrison, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Richard Owlett

    mark mandel Guest

    Yes. It could point to a missing or corrupted IO.SYS and/or MSDOS.SYS
    files. You'd need to use the Windows 98 start up floppy disk. When you get
    the A: prompt, type in Sys C: which will restore those files + the
    COMMAND.COM file.

    mark mandel, Dec 10, 2003
  4. To his WinXP machine? Are you sure it's a good idea?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Go ahead and check cables and such, but first back up everything you
    wouldn't want to lose in a hard drive crash.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Richard Owlett

    mark mandel Guest

    I'm sorry. I missed the statement about the XP.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Can I assume ntio.sys and command.com could still cause the symptom in
    a WinXP system?

    But if such a basic file were corrupt, would not the problem occur
    very frequently rather than just occasionally?
    That's why I was leaning towards harware being the source.

    Richard Owlett, Dec 10, 2003
  8. Richard Owlett

    Plato Guest

    Even so, if it boots up normally most of the time there are no files
    missing or lost.

    Plato, Dec 10, 2003
  9. Richard Owlett

    Plato Guest

    What maybe happening is that, with age, the hard drive is taking longer
    to spin up to speed when the PC wants to axs the boot files. Chance are
    that the father is just clicking on the power button and the drive is
    still spinning for the next try.

    Plato, Dec 10, 2003