    linux?
    3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?

    thanks very much, hj.

    hugh jass, Sep 15, 2003

  2. hugh jass

    MacG Guest

    I've seen this happen with a loose ide cable.

    MacG, Sep 15, 2003

  3. hugh jass

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2003
  4. hugh jass

    °Mike° Guest

    BTW, do you own the domain moonman.com? If not, you
    should change your email munge.

    Query : moonman.com
    Addresses = 208.133.128.93

    whois -h whois.networksolutions.com moonman.com

    Registrant:
    Conrad Promotions, LLC (MOONMAN2-DOM)
    105 EXECUTIVE DRIVE
    SLIDELL, LA 70460
    US

    Domain Name: MOONMAN.COM

    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Polk, Scott (SP2299)
    Quantum Computer Services
    105 EXECUTIVE DR
    SLIDELL, LA 70460-5222
    US
    (504)847-1537 fax: (504)649-3406

    Record expires on 11-May-2004.
    Record created on 09-Sep-2002.
    Database last updated on 14-Sep-2003 23:00:36 EDT.

    Domain servers in listed order:

    NS1.CONRADPROMOTIONS.COM 208.158.96.118
    NS2.CONRADPROMOTIONS.COM 208.133.128.103

    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2003
  5. hugh jass

    trout Guest

    trout, Sep 15, 2003
  6. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Yes, I posted this on the 10th and got two replies that didn't help me...
    Trying to do this on my own without it costing an arm and a leg. This
    machine isn't worth spending a lot on.
    Regarding yesterday's post... I came back to look for replies, but couldn't
    find my original post or any replies (hence the other post asking why there
    seems to be a 12 hour gap).
    I am going to check out the links you both provided. Your help is
    appreciated.
    thnx, hj.

    --
    ______________________
    : °Mike° wrote:
    :
    : > You asked this same question on the 10th.
    : > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=9d77821f2c81ffe3
    :
    : He got even more replies to the same question yesterday:
    : http://tinyurl.com/ndks
    : --
    : "the 'similar' results initially omitted by Google."
    :
    :
    : > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:33:33 -0400, in
    : > <Yx99b.525$>
    : > hugh jass scrawled:
    : >
    : >> Hello All,
    : >> I am getting this message "operating system not found" when booting
    : >> up my notebook (P2-266). Sometimes when I boot from the win98se CD,
    : >> I can get access to the c: drive, but it is dicey.
    : >> My questions are...
    : >> 1/ What can I do? I have tried a scandisk and no bad sectors were
    : >> found. I have all the data that I need from the hard disk, but
    : >> don't know how to fix/clean it so that I no longer have this problem.
    : >> 2/ Can I just reformat to clean things and then do a reinstall of
    : >> win or linux?
    : >> 3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?
    : >>
    : >> thanks very much, hj.
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Sep 15, 2003
  7. hugh jass

    hugh jass Guest

    Thank you to °Mike° and trout for posting the Google links to my previous
    post. I got some useful replies there.
    hj.
    BTW °Mike°, I don't own the domain name 'moonman,' just have a free webmail
    from it (it's part of myownemail.com).
    --
    ______________________
    : Yes, I posted this on the 10th and got two replies that didn't help me...
    : Trying to do this on my own without it costing an arm and a leg. This
    : machine isn't worth spending a lot on.
    : Regarding yesterday's post... I came back to look for replies, but
    couldn't
    : find my original post or any replies (hence the other post asking why
    there
    : seems to be a 12 hour gap).
    : I am going to check out the links you both provided. Your help is
    : appreciated.
    : thnx, hj.
    :
    : --
    : ______________________
    : please remove the obvious from my email...
    : : : °Mike° wrote:
    : :
    : : > You asked this same question on the 10th.
    : : > http://groups.google.com/groups?th=9d77821f2c81ffe3
    : :
    : : He got even more replies to the same question yesterday:
    : : http://tinyurl.com/ndks
    : : --
    : : "the 'similar' results initially omitted by Google."
    : :
    : :
    : : > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:33:33 -0400, in
    : : > <Yx99b.525$>
    : : > hugh jass scrawled:
    : : >
    : : >> Hello All,
    : : >> I am getting this message "operating system not found" when booting
    : : >> up my notebook (P2-266). Sometimes when I boot from the win98se CD,
    : : >> I can get access to the c: drive, but it is dicey.
    : : >> My questions are...
    : : >> 1/ What can I do? I have tried a scandisk and no bad sectors were
    : : >> found. I have all the data that I need from the hard disk, but
    : : >> don't know how to fix/clean it so that I no longer have this problem.
    : : >> 2/ Can I just reformat to clean things and then do a reinstall of
    : : >> win or linux?
    : : >> 3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?
    : : >>
    : : >> thanks very much, hj.
    : :
    : :
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Sep 15, 2003
  8. hugh jass

    °Mike° Guest

    Yeah, I noticed that, too, after I had posted.

    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2003
  9. hugh jass

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome, and thanks for the clarification on moonman.

    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2003
  10. hugh jass

    Barry OGrady Guest

    I was getting a similar problem with a 386 notebook. It would not boot from the
    hardrive but could boot from a floppy then see the hard drive.

    Turned out to be the hard drive was not set active.

    Use fdisk to check.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640