    linux?
    3/ How do I find out if I do indeed have a corrupt hard drive?

    thanks very much, hj.

    hugh jass, Sep 14, 2003

  2. hugh jass

    doS Guest

    First, reformatt.Then reinstall windows.
    Then change your nic to Dum Bass

    doS, Sep 14, 2003

  3. hugh jass

    Boomer Guest

    hugh jass said:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-
    1&q=%22operating+system+not+found%22

    Boomer, Sep 14, 2003
  4. hugh jass

    Casey Bralla Guest

    Scandisk is a good step, but it sounds like your disk is failing fast.
    Mostlikely there is **nothing** yu can do except try to copy any critical
    files from it ASAP if it ever boots.

    A reformat may help temporarily, but a failing disk will continue to fail,
    no matter what is on it.

    You've already run scan disk. Try reformating (what have you got to lose?).
    Unfortunately, I think it is unlikely that you can save the disk.

    Casey Bralla

    Vorlon Information Technologies
    http://www.VorlonInfoTech.com/gethelp.html

    Ask us for no-risk personalized computer help
    You pay ONLY if we fix your problem
    Then you pay ONLY the amount you want.

    Think our help was only half-bad? then half-pay!
    Think our help was great? then pay in full!
    Think our help stunk? then Don't Pay!

    Casey Bralla, Sep 14, 2003
  5. hugh jass

    °Mike° Guest

    Clean Reinstall
    http://www.netpathway.com/~kramer/reinstall.html

    Learn to upgrade reinstall install troubleshoot microsoft windows
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

    How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition
    or Repartition a Hard Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;255867

    Unable to Delete a Partition or Logical DOS Drive Using the Fdisk Utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;261473

    Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;263044

    °Mike°, Sep 14, 2003
  6. hugh jass

    SgtMinor Guest

    One of the best hard drive utilities I know of is Spinrite, available
    from http://grc.com/intro.htm. I've used this program for about ten
    years, and saved many a hard drive that appeared to be failing. Hard
    drive problems, while often caused by deteriorating media, are sometimes
    the result of the failure of the drive head to align itself with the
    track. Spinrite corrects this error. I know of someone who dropped his
    laptop onto a cement floor and found that it would not boot off the hard
    drive. He ran Spinrite overnight - it takes time - and by next morning
    the hard drive had been 'repaired' and he had a fully functioning
    machine

    All that said, the program has become a niche item. At 89 bucks it now
    costs more than a 40 gig drive. In any event, I recommend a visit to
    the GRC site. Try the free ShieldsUP! and LeakTest security checks.

    SgtMinor, Sep 14, 2003
  7. hugh jass

    Bad Dog Guest

    1. Go to HD manufacturers web page and get the tool to check the HD.

    2. Scan HD with a bootable antivirus software.

    This is what I use, I find it works very well as a tool to remove virus from
    EU's computer.

    Below are the links to the Vexira Antivirus Rescue Disk System.
    The following file systems are supported...

    Microsoft File Systems:
    - NTFS - includes Windows XP
    - FAT16
    - FAT32

    CDROM File System:
    - ISO9660 (with Microsoft Joliet support)

    Linux File System:
    - ext2
    - ReiserFS

    FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Solaris/UNIX File System:
    - UFS

    OS/2 File System:
    -HPFS

    Others:
    Minix, FreeVxFS, Veritas VxFS, System V, Xenix, V7, and UDF.

    To create bootable CD-ROM Vexira Antivirus Rescue Disk
    http://www.centralcommand.com/ts/rescue/rescuedisk.iso

    To create a bootable diskette set for Vexira Antivirus Rescue Disk
    http://www.centralcommand.com/ts/rescue/rescuedisk.exe

    For complete detailed follow the link below
    http://www.centralcommand.com/rescue_disk1003a7.html

    3. With a WinMe boot disc(bootdisk.com) :fdisk /mbr, this will repair the
    master boot record.

    After trying each step above and the HD is still dead.

    4. With your HD tool or WinMe bootdisk(large drive support) fdisk and then
    format the HD, reinstall your software.

    Bad Dog, Sep 14, 2003