    the OS). When she went to restart the computer, it gave her a message like,
    "Operating system not found on hard drive."

    Does anyone have a clue on what could have caused this?

    Scorpio, Jun 29, 2003

  2. Scorpio

    Shep© Guest

    If a problem is less than 5 days old in win98 then restart the system
    pressing the F8 key and choose Command prompt only Dos or restart in
    Msdos mode and type scanreg/restore and try an older reg(cab
    file)backup,however you may have to re-install some programs and user
    changes if they were installed after this date.

    HTH :)

    Shep©, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Scorpio

    Jimchip Guest

    McAfee.

    Jimchip, Jun 29, 2003
  4. Scorpio

    Shep© Guest

    LOL :O

    Shep©, Jun 29, 2003
  5. Scorpio

    °Mike° Guest

    That won't work if the operating system can't be found!

    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2003
  6. Scorpio

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot from your startup floppy and at the DOS prompt type:

    sys c:

    Then reboot, removing the floppy.

    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2003
  7. Scorpio

    Danny Guest

    it sounds like one of the system files on drive 'c' got clobbered.
    hopfully she has a emergency boot disk still.
    have her boot off the diskette.
    then at the dos prompt type;

    a\: sys c:
    what this will do is transfer the system files to drive C
    if this doesnt work type : sys /?
    and this will give you all the options with the sys command.
    you MUST be on drive 'a' (floppy drive) and not the hard drive 'c' for this
    to work.
    hope this helps you some.

    Daniel.

    Danny, Jun 30, 2003
  9. Scorpio

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:18:35 -0700, Danny wrote:

    [everything was below the sig delimiter]

    While I appreciate your agreement on my comment it would be better if you
    only posted once in reply and that you learn to put quoted and new text
    *above* the sigdash. Else, it all gets clipped and the message is difficult
    to reply to properly.

    Jimchip, Jun 30, 2003
  10. Scorpio

    Ron Martell Guest

    There are several possible causes, and we need to determine which of
    these is the one that actually happened.

    Applying the wrong fix can make the problem even worse, and seriously
    reduce the chances of actually recovering the data on the hard drive.

    First thing to do is to boot the computer with a Windows Startup Disk.
    At the A:\> enter the following command:

    DIR C:\ /S

    What should happen is that the screen should scroll madly for perhaps
    several minutes and then stop with a display showing the final totals
    for the files and folders on the hard drive. What it shows is not
    important. The fact that it does this without error is. So if it
    completes this step then proceed to the next step. But if there is
    any error message or other hiccup stop at this point and get expert
    help. Or post the error message and other information back here.

    The next step is to enter the following command:

    SCANDISK C:

    Do not repeat do not let Scandisk fix any errors. If any errors are
    reported stop at that point. Again, get a repair techician to look at
    the machine or post the scandisk problem information back here.

    If scandisk completes okay then it is safe to assume that the cause is
    in fact damaged or deleted system boot files on the hard drive and
    using the SYS C: command from a boot disk for the same version of
    Windows should remedy the problem.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jun 30, 2003
  11. Scorpio

    philo Guest

    first, be sure the harddrive is being properly recognized by the bios
    ....if so, boot up with a win98 bootdisk
    then issue the command sys C:

    remove the floppy then reboot

    if that does not work
    post back with the exact error message

    philo, Jun 30, 2003
  12. Scorpio

    Ron Martell Guest

    Have it your way.

    Just be prepared to c.y.a. when somebody does wipe out their hard
    drive contents.

    Ron Martell, Jul 1, 2003
  13. Scorpio

    °Mike° Guest

    Huh? Where was there any suggestion, or possibility, of the
    BIOS settings being changed? I'm willing to listen.
    You seem to be throwing this out to an hypothetical situation.
    There is no "somebody", other than the OP, and this particular
    issue.

    °Mike°, Jul 1, 2003
  14. Scorpio

    Donald Link Guest

    Actually, I dump Mcafee programs a long time ago.. I found out they
    thought they owned my computer and uninstalling any or their programs
    requires a very good knowledge of the registry and search functions.
    I had the same problem as you had and had to do a complete reinstall
    of Windows. Since then I run from most Mcafee products except Spam
    Killer which I think is a major, major spam fighting program.

    Donald Link, Jul 2, 2003