    the Acer Recovery Disk (and no other Windows-CD or other bootable CDs).

    Thanks very much!

    geldmuell

    geldmuell, Jul 24, 2005

  2. geldmuell

    Pennywise Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hi there,
    |>
    |>I used the tool f0disk which is supposed to be able to add new
    |>partitions without having to format the HD. However, after adding the
    |>partition and restarting my Notebook I now get the error-msg "operating
    |>system not found". Using the Acer Recovery Disk (WinXP Home) didn't
    |>help. I read in some groups that "fdisk /mbr" might help but that it
    |>shouldn't be used if the HDD was using a "disk overlay". My first
    |>question is how to find out if my HDD does use this.

    An overlay allows a drive larger than the BIOS can read, to be read.
    On boot up you should see some notice of it being loaded.

    |>The second
    |>question is how I get to the dos prompt without a floppy and with only
    |>the Acer Recovery Disk (and no other Windows-CD or other bootable CDs).

    Create a CD with this ISO (creates a bootable CD)
    http://www.9down.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2979
    and boot up with it.

    All the tools you need are provided.

    Pennywise, Jul 24, 2005

  3. geldmuell

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Who said fdisk will add new partitions without having to format the HD? The
    Microsoft utility fdisk.exe provided with DOS and Windows will NOT partition
    a drive leaving the data intact.

    If you have Windows XP (or any version of Windows) using NTFS, there *is* no
    DOS prompt. You have to boot from a HD or a bootable CD that has NTFS
    support to view the files on the hard drive. Some live Linux distros will do
    that.

    As for the disk overlay, unless you have a rather old computer, that is
    unlikely to be the issue. Overlays were used primarily for two purposes: 1)
    put a drive in a computer with BIOS size limitations (i.e., a 40 gig drive
    in a computer only able to handle a 30 gig drive) or 2) Roxio GoBack
    software did an overlay to create a custom boot sector. Very few XP capable
    computers use overlays.

    Are you familiar with the XP Recovery Console? (Assuming of course you are
    using XP...you didn't bother to post that information.) Fdisk /mbr is run
    from the Recovery Console. There are other tools available there too - like
    fixboot and chkdsk.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  4. geldmuell

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> I used the tool f0disk

    |>Who said fdisk

    Nobody...

    Pennywise, Jul 24, 2005
  5. geldmuell

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Okay - so I'm not up on German disk utilities <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  6. geldmuell

    Toolman Tim Guest

    yeah - I missed his parenthetical (XP Home) reference too <g>. I guess it's
    getting late and I should shut down before I *really* stick my foot in my
    mouth ;o)

    But I'd guess his Acer "recovery disks" don't provide a recovery console
    option. Hmmmm...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 24, 2005
  7. geldmuell

    philo Guest

    fdisk or any similar utility cannot create a partition out of nothing...
    so it sounds like you must have deleted your OS

    philo, Jul 24, 2005