    Bart Bailey Guest

    Or those "security" sites that require javascript in order to tell you
    that you're vulnerable.

    Bart Bailey, Feb 11, 2004

  2. UM

    null Guest

    They're a joke :)

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    null, Feb 11, 2004

  3. UM

    data64 Guest

    Well said.

    data64

    data64, Feb 11, 2004
  4. UM

    Gladys Pump Guest

    Thank you. :)

    Regs, Pete.

    Gladys Pump, Feb 12, 2004
  5. UM

    sponge Guest

    Opera's nice. I don't use it's mail or news features (Pegasus for the
    former, a modified Agent 1.81 for the latter), but I personally
    wouldn't use anything else. However, I'm staying with version 6.06 on
    Windows and 6.12 on Linux and FreeBSD.There hae been some security
    issues due to new features in Version 7, and I don't like the new
    interface. Still, it's so good, it's worth paying for, even though it
    is perfectly legal to use the free version and blocking the ads is a
    piece of cake.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Secure Solutions
    www.geocities.com/yosponge
    My new email: yosponge2 att yahoo dott com

    sponge, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Here a message from out of the Netherlands,

    I use Opera for some weeks now and I must say: I like it!!
    But...(isn´t there always a but??)...2 weeks ago, my Opera got an
    infection that Norton couldn't fix so Opera wouldn't start anymore. I
    desided it was time to switch from W98SE to XP and install Opera followd
    by fetching my mail directories from the dammaged Opera. Whatever I tried
    I couldn't get my mail & contacts back!!!! by copying several folders back
    to the new Opera. Searching opera for nice a backup facility only came up
    with a Export/Import facillity THAT WOULDN"T WORK the way it should work
    in the help file.....

    Is there someone outthere who has found/made a nice way to easely backup
    ALL IMPORTANT setups/mail/contacts from Opera for a "kickstart-Opera"
    after a fresch installation......
    Regards,

    Hans van den Oord

    hp.vandenoord, Feb 14, 2004
  7. UM

    Tiger_289 Guest

    BUZZZZZ...you lose. The CVE gives clear evidence that bad coding is to
    blame in a HUGE number of instances. And if the coding wasn't the
    problem, we wouldn't be patching each month. The design is also
    to blame...take ActiveX, for instance. How many times has CERT and other
    experts responded to a security problem by saying "disable ActiveX"?????

    Also, tink for a minute about what you said. It sounds you are saying MS
    designed Internet-connected software to be insecure. That equates to
    negligence in my book.

    I won't argue about whether or not MS can produce secure software. They
    do some things very well. But they don't do security as well as other
    software producers.
    Ummm....then how do you explain MS changing direction with WinXP SP2, and
    providing stronger security. They obviously feel it is worth doing. So
    it's your opinion v. MS's opinion?
    I agree, and I hope we can agree that the clueless user is the greatest
    threat to the Internet environment. "I love you" spread for the same
    reason that "MyDoom" spread --> clueless users. The problem with clueless
    users in a MS environment, however, is that their easily invoked power to
    do harm vastly outpaces their understanding of what they are doing. That
    is a crucial design issue that Apple and many (but not all) Linux distros
    have successfully attacked. The fact that MS is the only vendor that
    makes doing harmful things so easy speaks volumes about their design
    philosophy.
    Not true. Apple is much easier to use than Windows, Apple's browser is
    based on Konqueror, the Apple OS is based on BSD, and, I believe, much of
    Apple's source is available.

    Tiger_289, Feb 14, 2004
  8. UM

    sponge Guest

    I don't think that was an infection, because I had the same trouble
    when I first started using it and had to reinstall. It's possible --
    particularly if you manually edit it -- for the configuration file,
    opera6.ini to become corrupt, causing the browser to fail to start. I
    tried removal, reinstallation, and then replacement of that file to
    determine that.

    The solution is to get Opera's interface the way you like it and then
    make a backup of opera6.ini (I think it is called this even in Version
    7). If the browser gets screwy, just replace this file from the backup
    while it's not running and everything is hunky-dory. I had to do this
    twice after that due to some stuff relating to MS patches and software
    development, but I have used Opera 6 for Windows for about a year now
    without a problem worth mentioning.

    And I've never had appreciable problems with the Unix or Linux
    versions, besides the text being a little too small on a Linux box
    running X. I think that was only because I changed the screen
    resolution in X after installing Opera, and Opera -- or, more likely,
    X -- didn't adjust the font sizes in Opera and kept them small.

    No big deal.

    sponge, Feb 14, 2004
  9. UM

    Leythos Guest

    In my experience MS has a lot of problems with updates and making
    systems more secure because of the number of installations in corporate
    settings. What I mean is that if they send an update that secures all
    their platforms so that home users no longer have any problems being
    directly connected to the internet, then I can also imagine that many
    corporate networks will break and havoc will reign in the business
    sector.

    I liken this to Intel not forcing the change to wide bus structures long
    ago in order to support the power of their processors - they had tons of
    legacy systems and vendors that could not handle the change.

    MS is really behind in security, I never said they were anything else,
    but I consider their installed base an the impact it would have should
    they implement what you and I would consider secure systems with just a
    service pack change. I'm sure MS has already worked out just how much
    they can change without loosing the entire corporate base.

    Leythos, Feb 14, 2004
  10. UM

    Bart Bailey Guest

    I just rar and save the whole program folder to another partition,
    but I think the two most important files are;
    Opera6.adr - your bookmarks
    Opera6.ini - your settings
    I don't use the email nor newsreader parts, so there may be other files
    that you would want to save too, if you use those functions.

    Bart Bailey, Feb 14, 2004
  11. Thanks for the information and wish you a lot of virus free emails.

    hp.vandenoord, Feb 15, 2004
  12. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

    Thanks for the laugh of the day.

    I have received phish spam trying to sucker in people into providing their
    banking information to crooks so they can clean out their victim's bank
    accounts. The spammers use deceptive URLs that look like they are going
    to the bank web site and their fake sites actually link to the real bank's
    images and pages.

    It wouldn't be too difficult for any bank to set up their web server to
    check the referrer for the images and serve up different images to the
    bogus sites warning people that the site is not legitimate. It would
    not be too diffiult for them to put a notice on their "security" pages
    about phishing attempts. It would not be too difficult for them to post
    notices of phishing attempts in their banks warning people not to trust
    URLs in email.

    None of the banks that I have contacted about the phishes have done any
    of these things. Some make it virtually impossible to report these
    phishing attempts to them. (Try calling one of their 1-800 numbers
    on a Friday evening when a phishing email arrived and see if you can get
    anyone before Banking hours Monday morning after the phisher has had all
    weekend to gather account information and clean out a bunch of accounts.)
    One feature that can reduce a user's security on the Internet is
    JavaScript because of its ability to make the browser display bogus
    information about a site and hide the real location of it. Only *one*
    Canadian bank that I know of does not require JavaScript to be enabled to
    use their services. It is the only one that recommends that JavaScript be
    turned off except when visiting trusted sites. It is not the bank where I
    currently have my account. If I ever needed on-line banking, I would be
    moving my account.
    Going by my experience, most banks don't give a shit about customers
    who get suckered in by phishers. The attitude seems to be that it's
    *their* fault (and only their fault) if they get suckered in.

    Norman L. DeForest, Feb 16, 2004
  13. UM

    Dave Ryman Guest

    (snip)
    Yep - just try playing an MS Zone game on Netscape!

    --
    Regards,
    Dave

    http://welcome.to/daves.website