    Geoff Lane
    Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
    www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals

    Geoff Lane, Feb 11, 2004

  2. UM

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Which banking site?

    I use Egg and smile OK but I had to change an encoding option on
    cahoot to get it to display correctly on Opera.

    Geoff Lane, Feb 11, 2004

  3. UM

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I'm sure there are many pensioners who were not interested in having
    an ordinary bank account until Government policy was to pay all
    pensions into a bank account.

    One never knows what tomorrow brings :)))

    Geoff Lane, Feb 11, 2004
  4. UM

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Cynical old me thinks their staff often think IE is the only browser
    in the world.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Feb 11, 2004
  5. UM

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Slightly off subject I know but I've just had a reply from a
    motorcycle accessory distributor who said 'As only approx. 5% of
    motorcyclists use an open face helmet, the above standard pack will be
    appropriate for 95% of Helmet users'

    So, to hell with the rest and I'm in the 5% :)))

    Geoff Lane, Feb 11, 2004
  6. UM

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Try Pegasus - brilliant.

    Geoff Lane, Feb 11, 2004
  7. UM

    Gladys Pump Guest

    Somehow, I don't think the phone will be ringing long after the initial
    frenzy has died down.

    More likely he'll find his circle of friends considerably smaller, and an
    uncomfortable 'finger-just-gone-through-the-toilet-paper' kind of look on
    the face of family members when the subject of computers crops up.
    Yes, I've noticed.
    I wouldn't even call them geeks, let alone ubergeeks. The way I see it is
    that real programmers and computer fanatics, who live to code and love
    everything 'computy', see the benefits in every operating system and would
    never be seen to be blindly following one over the other. Aside from being
    childish and naive, it's ultimately self-defeating.

    The people who become bourne-again Linux fans overnight, and then jump
    straight on the MS-trashing-bandwagon make me sick. You know the ones ...
    all of a sudden there's 'Registered Linux User <insert random number>' as
    part of their sig.

    And as for security, you don't need to be an MCSE to realise that if the
    world's desktop users switched wholly over to Linux tomorrow, there'd be any
    less trouble with viruses or misconfiguration of systems. Unless at the same
    time all these users starting changing the habits of a lifetime, and began
    devouring HOWTO's and the myriad of *nix technical documentation at a
    blinding rate, combined with the virus writers having a collective attack of
    conscience and taking up needlework instead.

    If people want to play around with *nix derivatives, fine, have fun, but
    don't start trashing MS/MS users just because you've learnt a new command
    and/or done your first source compile.
    Some will play reasonably well, but they'll invariably be poor cousins to
    those running on an MS platform. This may change in the future, but it
    doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

    Regs, Pete.

    "Oh, so operator error is not in your lexicon?"

    "I don't have a lexicon yu moosehead."

    Gladys Pump, Feb 11, 2004
  8. UM

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I think someone has already mentioned it but it needn't be one or the
    other, both can work side by side.

    There are features of Opera I like and IE as well so I tend to use
    whaatever I feel appropriate.

    I think Opera definitely scores if you have numerous windows
    operating.

    Geoff Lane, Feb 11, 2004
  9. UM

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Smile didn't work properly on my pocketpc2003, after speaking with a
    few different staff reps one suggested I tried an alternative link to
    get it, worked fine.

    It was a huge URL and not quite as memorable as www.smile.co.uk

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Feb 11, 2004
  10. UM

    Jay Jay Guest

    Hi there!

    I went to http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck and ran 'all available tests'.

    Running the test with Firefox returns 0 vulnerabilities, but the same is
    true for Opera. At first it seems as if Opera has two medium
    vulnerabilities, but when you read the accompanying explanations, you'll
    see this message:

    "Note: Opera browser is not vulnerable to this problem. If you are
    running Opera you don't need to patch."

    Hence, Opera is as safe as Firefox (me so happy :)

    PS: IE 5.01 with win2k SP2 gives 1 high, 2 medium and 1 low risk
    vulnerability. Oops, time to patch... again :)

    Jay Jay, Feb 11, 2004
  11. ...

    If you are really expecting this, then you don't understand the web
    and HTML.

    HTML is a descriptive language, not a procedural (proscriptive) one.

    When you write:

    <h1>A Heading</h1>

    You are saying that the text "A Heading" represents a heading. For
    many browsers, they interpret this to mean that the text will be in a
    larger font, possibly bold, and possibly a special font.

    But the exact settings for "larger" and "possibly" will differ
    depending upon whether it is being rendered for a computer display, a
    printed page, a TV image (much lower resolution), a WML browser (cell
    phone), being spoken for a blind person, etc.

    Craig

    Craig A. Finseth, Feb 11, 2004
  12. ...

    Actually, this is not true.

    The vast majority of such problems are due to bad design and coding in
    IE and Outlook: their counterparts on Linux don't have the same
    stupidities.

    Craig

    Craig A. Finseth, Feb 11, 2004
  13. UM

    Leythos Guest

    Craig, I appreciate the lesson, but I clearly understand the
    coding/display of HTML and have been doing this for a long time. My
    comment was concerning the differences in how HTML (even as per the W3C
    standard) is shown in different vendors browsers.

    It's not that "I" want the same visual representation on the screen,
    it's that customers don't always want to accept that IE and Netscape
    show things a tad different (or Opera)....

    Leythos, Feb 11, 2004
  14. UM

    Leythos Guest

    I'm going to save this - this is the best response I've seen in a long
    time. I fully agree with what is posted above.

    Leythos, Feb 11, 2004
  16. UM

    Leythos Guest

    Craig, I hate to say this, but you are wrong. It's not bad design or bad
    coding, it was designed for a specific purpose and that purpose did not
    include being secure for the exposed user. Had MS designed it, from
    scratch, to be secure in an exposed environment, it would be just as
    secure as any Open Source product.

    The problem is that for MS to change the code/functionality of something
    that was delivered to so many, it would cause an problem in so many
    offices that it's not worth doing.

    It's very easy for users to learn to secure their systems, but most
    don't take the time to read the instructions on their VCR programming
    let alone the information available everywhere on how to secure their
    IE/OE products.

    The open source products are designed for a different market than IE/OE
    was designed for, so it's apples and oranges.

    Leythos, Feb 11, 2004
  17. Umm, Windows NT was designed from the ground up to be secure
    (according to Microsoft).

    Windows 2000 was Windows NT re-designed from ground up to be secure
    (according to Microsoft).

    Windows XP...

    You get the idea.

    In any event, any competent designer should have known of the 1987
    Morris Worm and should have been doing at least minimial thinking
    along those lines long before even Windows 95.

    So, you're saying that Microsoft has done a thorough analysis and
    decided that it is cheaper for everyone to deal with the problems? Do
    you remember the Ford Pinto?

    If it is this easy, why can't Microsoft do it for everyone once?

    Craig

    Craig A. Finseth, Feb 11, 2004
  18. UM

    Leythos Guest

    Craig, where did I say anything about the OS? I said IE and OE, the
    items that this discussion is talking about - Browsers.

    If you want to know the answer to your question then you need to
    understand the same about why we still have ISA slots in computers and
    backwardly compatible software, etc...

    My reply was to your post about IE / Outlook (copied below):

    Leythos, Feb 11, 2004
  19. UM

    BoB Guest

    I can't argue with that, Art.

    I learned to live without using Real products or Quicktime too.
    If a site requires IE and won't work using Firebird, then it is
    their problem, not mine.

    BoB

    BoB, Feb 11, 2004
  20. UM

    null Guest

    Another one to dump is M$'s Windows Media Player. Now that you mention
    it, a list of security flawed apps and much better alternatives would
    be a good "safe hex" topic. Especially since there are excellent
    freeware alternatives. Also, IMO, any antivirus product requiring IE
    should also be on the "unsafe hex" list along with those antivirus
    scan web sites requiring IE and low security settings.

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    null, Feb 11, 2004