    "The vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world.
    And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."
    - George Bush

    Conor, Feb 10, 2004

  2. UM

    null Guest

    Wrong. _You_ need it. Others don't need idiot sites.

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    null, Feb 10, 2004

  3. UM

    Leythos Guest

    I take it you don't work for a living and have money in a bank?

    Leythos, Feb 10, 2004
  4. UM

    Clive Guest

    For all the hype about online banking having security holes. I think they
    take security very serious. Every bank that provides online banking has
    Internet Explorer as a 'recognised' browser for internet banking.

    Going by this, banks would seem to consider IE's security to be 'OK'

    Clive

    Clive, Feb 10, 2004
  5. Ohh! Now you're scaring me.

    ....It'll now be even more years until I trust online banking.

    FromTheRafters, Feb 10, 2004
  6. UM

    Clay Guest

    My bank has no problem with Mozilla or Netscape. They don't require
    ActiveX or Java.
    "They" simply accommodate the most common browser visiting their site.

    I think if people visiting the bank site insist on using another
    browser (not IE) and complain fiercely to the bank when the site
    doesn't function properly, the bank then *must* address the needs of
    those customers and get the site properly coded for cross
    platform/browser compatibility. They can afford that expense on behalf
    of their customers, don't you think?

    Sites that dictate what browser you need to use, ought to be left
    alone.

    Clay, Feb 10, 2004
  7. UM

    null Guest

    Illogical and false conclusion, Mr. Troll.

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    null, Feb 10, 2004
  8. UM

    null Guest

    Any halfway decent and intelligent one would allow other browsers. Any
    site, service, or software which requires IE or IE only isn't worth
    bothering with.

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    null, Feb 10, 2004
  9. UM

    Leythos Guest

    Actually, the client side has nothing to do with Security of the Banking
    site. The servers and their programming are secure, it's the end-users
    computer and browser that may be in questions.

    MS made it so damn easy to provide sites with custom and rich
    functionality for people using IE. Not only that, but the other browsers
    have (and had) to many quirks that required custom programming in order
    to make the site work with them - I remember having to code for 4
    different browsers in order to get tables to work correctly :)

    Leythos, Feb 10, 2004
  10. UM

    Leythos Guest

    Well Art - I'm not a troll and I use three different browsers when I
    test code, but many sites cater to the common platform of their
    customers. Most customers have IE. Coding a site to work with all
    browsers is a PITA, and while it would be nice if they all coded to some
    non-MS standard, it's just not going to happen.

    Leythos, Feb 10, 2004
  11. UM

    kurt wismer Guest

    Leythos wrote:
    [snip]
    while i'll grant you that most users probably do have IE, IE is not a
    standard for the web...

    anyone who wants to write standards compliant pages should visit
    http://www.w3c.org and make use of the information and tools available
    there for that purpose...

    and for the record, all browsers should be able to handle standards
    compliant web sites equally well (if they don't then the browsers
    themselves are not complying with the standards)...

    kurt wismer, Feb 10, 2004
  12. Quoth the raven named Leythos:
    No, actually it is easier.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 10, 2004
  13. UM

    Leythos Guest

    Yea, I completely agree that everything should be coded to the w3c
    standard, but in real life it just doesn't happen. When all browsers
    present the same image on screen for the same HTML, then we may start
    getting somewhere.

    Leythos, Feb 10, 2004
  14. UM

    null Guest

    Then they won't get my business. You see? It's very simple.

    I haven't used IE since the Win 3.1 days. My mutual fund allows for
    Mozilla and the other Moz based browsers I've tried. And that's all I
    care about. I have no interest in on-line banking.

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    null, Feb 10, 2004
  15. UM

    xynicon Guest

  16. UM

    Kerodo Guest

    Kerodo, Feb 10, 2004
  17. UM

    Harri Mellin Guest

    i didn't have to i just coded in xhtml 1.0 =)

    Harri Mellin, Feb 10, 2004
  18. UM

    Gladys Pump Guest

    Flatulence : The only condition where people actually care if you don't use
    windows.

    Regs, Pete.

    "Oh, so operator error is not in your lexicon?"

    "I don't have a lexicon yu moosehead."

    Gladys Pump, Feb 11, 2004
  19. UM

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    online.com:

    you better read up on linux a bit more before you start switching all your
    friends & family over, big guy. you gonna be on the phone supporting these
    people 24 hours a day.

    btw, i am an mcse, i also love linux & GNU concept, i also know what i am
    talking about.

    the world at large is not ready for linux yet. don't listen to ubergeeks.
    an ubergeek will always try to force a square peg into a circular hole
    just because he refuses to use a circular peg.

    p.s., good luck playing the latest 3dfx and 3d sound games on you linux
    box.

    Rowdy Yates, Feb 11, 2004
  20. I use Mozilla on Bank of America's site and it works fine.

    -----
    Kyle Pope

    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered!" - No. 6

    Keeper of the Edit List -

    (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php)

    Kyle Thomas Pope, Feb 11, 2004