OpenSSH on Windows Syntax question.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by perr, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. perr

    perr Guest

    Hi all,
    This is my first posting and I have a newbie question please bear with
    me. I have successfully installed OpenSSH(on my second domain
    controller) and now I am trying to add a user to the passwd file. The
    environment is a Windows 2003R2 domain with two domain controllers and
    the user is a domain user. The network is working fine and the two
    servers have no problems talking to each other.
    The two problems I have are,
    1. The user I am trying to add is a Windows domain user
    2. The username has a space in between the first name and last name.
    The syntax I used is as following from the command line
    C:\Program Files\OpenSSH\bin>mkpasswd -d -u test user >> ..\etc\passwd

    After a few seconds........ I get the below,

    mkpasswd: [2453] Could not find domain controller for this domain.

    I am pretty much aware that this is a syntax problem but I cant seem to
    find any answers especially with regards to this on the net. Thanks in
    advance

    cheers

    Ravin P

    perr, Jan 18, 2008

  2. perr

    Todd H. Guest

    Hi Ravin,

    To deal with the space (ugh) in the username, either wrap the argument
    in double or single quotes "like this" or 'like this' or prepend a
    backslash to the space to "escape" the space so the command processor
    doesn't see it as an argument separator:
    like\ this

    This is not an ssh trick, it's a general command processor/shell
    dealio.

    There is an ssh newsgroup that'll be more focused to your concerns for
    follow on questions, for what it's worth: comp.security.ssh

    Best Regards,

    Todd H., Jan 18, 2008