    How do I get it to open up, please ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Mar 12, 2009

  2. Robert11

    Mike Easter Guest

    Robert11 wrote:
    Subject: Opening Outlook Express: e-Mail Has Red "x" in Small Box.
    Picture There & How To Open ?

    Suboptimal subject caused by starting the question message in the subject
    instead of creating an optimal body first and then an optimal subject.
    Correct that the red X is a marker for the pic. But the cause is
    'variable' -- there's more than one cause.

    Sometimes it is caused by the sender screwing up and you don't have the
    pic because the pic is (still, only) on the sender's drive.
    In the above example/instance; you can't.

    For other causes, you can.

    Since your message body is also suboptimal (ambiguous, insufficient
    information), like the subject (too long), we don't know which is causing
    your personal red X since we can't troubleshoot your red X issue.

    Subject: too much information
    Body: missing information

    Mike Easter, Mar 12, 2009

  3. Robert11

    Col Guest

    Tools, Options, Security. Untick the box that says 'Block images and other
    external content in HTML e-mail'

    Col, Mar 12, 2009
  4. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    .... and wave goodbye to any notions you might have had about privacy and
    security.

    Whiskers, Mar 12, 2009
  5. Robert11

    catchme Guest

    if you dont have images enabled, it will either appear as generic icon,
    or showing only a placeholder (red x)
    also it is possible that your applications aren't configured to read
    certain file types, or those installed may simply be unable to read it
    at all.
    Lastly, the image may also be corrupt or flagged as corrupt.

    catchme, Mar 13, 2009
  6. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    Please. No one has *ever* become infected by opening a picture or html
    alone. Can't happen.

    chuckcar, Mar 13, 2009
  7. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    Wow.

    That goes right up there with
    "I am not a crook."

    Evan Platt, Mar 13, 2009
  8. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest

    Actually, a few years some genius with a /very/ good sense of
    humor made it possible for Trojans to be hidden in jpg images -
    of course that ONLY worked when the user was clueless enough to
    use IE/OE, other browsers and non-MS image programs were not
    affected. A fix was provided by MS shortly afterwards.

    thanatoid, Mar 13, 2009
  9. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest

    WHY in fubar's name would anyone do that?
    Ditto, but slightly more understandable.
    Right click and "show" or "open" or "load" image - I don't know
    the exact term since I wouldn't use IE if you paid me. If there
    is no such option, get a real browser.

    Also, many web pages/sites are very poorly maintained (and often
    should not exist in the first place) and links to images (or
    other things) just do not work. Some people just can't be
    bothered to keep everything up to date, even though there are
    programs to do it automatically.

    You can often verify that by double clicking on the image - it
    SHOULD open up in a new window. You can also copy its URL and
    try a DL manager - sometimes you get better results this way,
    and it's MUCH faster.

    Sometimes images (etc.) are "hot-linked" to other sites which
    don't like others stealing their bandwidth - that may be a
    factor as well, although I don't know enough about html to tell
    you for sure.

    thanatoid, Mar 13, 2009
  10. Robert11

    Pennywise Guest

    You really should use google before posting, nothing you post is
    correct.

    Getting malware from a picture, google:
    WMF exploit

    Pennywise, Mar 13, 2009
  11. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks.
    All set now.

    Bob
    ---------------------

    Robert11, Mar 13, 2009
  12. Robert11

    Col Guest

    My pleasure. Don't forget your tin-foil hat though as you're now completely
    at the mercy of the email equivalent of the AIDS virus. Oh, and as you
    should know by now, a bullet proof vest is advisable while using Microsoft
    products. Possibly.

    Col, Mar 13, 2009
  13. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    Yes, I remember it - someone at Microsoft allowed a data file to be
    treated as a script. Just proves my point. Bad coding. I could write a
    program that would dump a jpeg file to the CPU as machine language
    (undoubtedly causing all *kinds* of blue screens and other errors), but it
    wouldn't change the facts.

    chuckcar, Mar 13, 2009
  14. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    Which *only* happens in IE due to bad coding. Hardly a disproof.

    chuckcar, Mar 13, 2009
  15. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    I really doubt that.

    Evan Platt, Mar 13, 2009
  16. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    Backpedal chucktard, backpedal.

    Evan Platt, Mar 13, 2009
  17. Robert11

    Pennywise Guest

    Stupid idiot, you were told to google first then post -

    "The WMF Image Handling Exploit is made possible by a vulnerabilty in
    shimgvw.dll, a dynamic link library file that is the core component of
    Windows Fax and Picture Viewer"
    http://antivirus.about.com/od/virusdescriptions/a/wmfexploit.htm

    I.E. had nothing to do with it, ANY graphic viewer (that handled WMF
    files) did.

    Pennywise, Mar 14, 2009
  18. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    And since *when* are WMF files pictures?

    chuckcar, Mar 14, 2009
  19. Robert11

    Pennywise Guest

    You didn't use google.

    You have to have the last word, I don't, I also don't volley with
    children.

    Have the last word.

    Pennywise, Mar 14, 2009
  20. Robert11