    I am using Win XP SP2

    It happens in all types of programs, not just MS ones.

    All suggestions thankfully received.

    John Stubbs, Apr 22, 2005

  2. John Stubbs

    °Mike° Guest

    Right click in the dialog box and choose 'Arrange Icons
    By -> Name'. Close the dialog box and the application.
    Reopen and see if it sticks.

    °Mike°, Apr 22, 2005

  3. John Stubbs

    OzBo Guest

    Thanks for reply - that is not quite what I did - I mentioned in
    original that I clicked on "Name" haeder.

    I did it your way as well but still the same - reopens in reverse
    order :-(

    OzBo, Apr 23, 2005
  4. John Stubbs

    OzBo Guest

    P.S. - I found a reference that said to hold down CTRL while doing the
    above but that did not work either :-(

    OzBo, Apr 23, 2005
  5. John Stubbs

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    OzBo took 21 lines to utter:

    I have to admit that I haven't come across this one (reverse order)
    before, and it has me stumped.
    The above will work for most GUI 'windows', but not for dialogs,
    which are all too often hard coded into a static configuration.

    °Mike°, Apr 23, 2005
  6. John Stubbs

    OzBo Guest

    Oh well - many thanks for trying ...

    OzBo, Apr 24, 2005
  7. John Stubbs

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    °Mike°, Apr 24, 2005
  8. John Stubbs

    OzBo Guest

    I have been given the solution by a kind person in newsgroup
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

    In case anyone else has this problem ....

    With an OPEN or SAVE file dialog box open, click on the "View Menu"
    icon at top right just under title bar and select "Details"

    Click on "Name" header to put files in proper alpha order.

    Hold down CTRL and click on the X (close button) at top right of the
    dialog box.

    OzBo, Apr 26, 2005
  9. John Stubbs

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    OzBo took 34 lines to utter:

    That's (basically) what I told you to do in my very first reply. Sheesh!

    °Mike°, Apr 26, 2005
  10. John Stubbs

    OzBo Guest

    Not the CTRL bit, did you??

    OzBo, Apr 26, 2005
  11. John Stubbs

    °Mike° Guest

    No, but it *should* work without that -- I know that Windows
    has a 'quirk' where the CTRL button sometimes produces the
    desired effect, when normal methods don't; I just forgot to add it.

    °Mike°, Apr 26, 2005
  12. John Stubbs

    Pee Jay Guest

    Thanks, OzBo. I have been setting name order and closing box and never
    getting it to stick. When I tried CTRL with closing box it worked!!

    Cheers .......

    Pee Jay, Apr 27, 2005
  13. John Stubbs

    Mark Van

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Two years and some days later your info still comes in helpful Ozbo. So thanks.

    It was so hard to find this page on the net via search engines that I am going to add some key words below to help others find this.

    Save as box, reset, in alphabetical order, Firefox, problem, fix

    Mark Van, Aug 25, 2007
  14. John Stubbs

    chezzo

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks

    I also had this problem and just solved it by using the method of pressing CTRL while clicking the close button.

    chezzo, Oct 22, 2007
  15. John Stubbs

    TNT

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Omg Thank You!

    Even 3 years later, this news is helpful!

    I just solved this issue after reading this thread.

    ..And you HAVE TO hold down Ctrl when clicking 'X' to close or else it won't fix it self (I tried).

    SO ya, thanks for this Oz & Velocity Forums.

    -TNT

    TNT, Sep 19, 2008
  16. John Stubbs

    astro

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ok so I was hoping that this was going to be the solution to my frustrations but it didn't work for me...xp on sp2. Even went so far as to follow the instructions listed here, then after closing with the ctrl button held down, restarting my computer. No luck.

    BUT what I did figure out, and hopefully it may help any others that were still looking for a solution is...

    Right-click Start, click Explore, and then click drive C. On the View menu, click Details. Click the Name column to sort items by name...and THEN along the top click tools/folder options/view/apply to all folders

    this is what worked for me!

    astro, Mar 11, 2009
  17. John Stubbs

    caliown

    Joined:
    May 2, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    4yrs later

    I wanted to take the time to register and reply to this thread because I just knew this little headache would be with me until I decided to reinstall Windows. I am very grateful for the trial and error this took to figure this out... or textbook reading :veryprou: Many Thanks

    caliown, May 2, 2009
  18. John Stubbs

    RealKDruelli

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    4 1/2 years later

    OzBo who probably never will be back on this page, my humble thanks to you for the solution to such an annoying problem. May this thread live on forever and serve as a beacon of hope for all future generations of Windows XP users stuck with that absurd reverse order open/save dialog issue.

    RealKDruelli, Nov 25, 2009