    Perhaps Claude is now working as a first level bod on Sky's support desk
    and revising his theorems during his spare time, I look forward to
    buying the revised edition ;-)

    Andy Burns, Dec 16, 2014

  2. David

    David Guest

    I think the problem lies with the BT equipment at the exchange of DLM
    messing with my speed.
    I run at 37Mb ok just wish they turn DLM off and let it be.

    It is as if they steal 10 Mb from me and sell it to someone else.

    Regards
    David

    David, Dec 16, 2014

  3. David

    Graham. Guest

    I use http://f8lure.mouselike.org/

    Graham., Dec 16, 2014
  4. David

    Graham. Guest

    Way to go Dave!
    Sky won't dare let you down!

    Graham., Dec 16, 2014
  5. David

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Without the DLM, you probably would find it running at a lower
    capacity, although no doubt your ping times would improve. Error
    correction takes a few (typically 9) milliseconds for an average depth
    of interleaving. If it's needed in both directions that's 18ms lost,
    but this is done to preserve your capacity (which you seem to think is
    the same thing as speed). If you want a FAST connection (i.e. no
    error correction) you should be going for lower throughput, to avoid
    interleaving. If you can get past first line support to someone who
    knows what they are talking about, you may be able to have your ISP
    change a setting to allow you to choose. I believe (but haven't had
    it confirmed) that BT give (as standard - more options may be
    available on higher priced packages) 3 levels of "aggression" in line
    management, depending on whether a speed optimised, throughput
    optimised, or balanced performance are required.
    No doubt someone with more knowledge than I have will be along in a
    moment to say if that is still the case (or ever has been other than
    for one ISP who chose to implement it that way).

    Phil W Lee, Dec 17, 2014
  6. David

    David Guest

    Since the reset during both nights the speed as dropped. As I'm going
    to be very busy prior to Christmas I can't have further visit from OR so
    will contact Sky again after Christmas.

    When the OR engineer came Monday it was 24 Mb from the original 37Mb
    when the service from Sky started. Previously I had been with Be and
    was sync. at 15 Mb on Adsl which was set to run high, I could change
    settings.

    Sky on taking me over did offer me a Fiber Pro. service but when initial
    offers would have expired the cost was over the top for me a domestic
    customer. So I choose to have the normal Sky fiber thinking I would be
    twice the speed, but the way my speed was going down to 24 Mb and
    continuing to go down I could see 15 Mb approaching. I was told
    somewhere that is the lowest fiber goes to. If this was to happen then
    why have fiber I asked myself at higher cost.

    Regards
    David

    David, Dec 17, 2014
  7. David

    Woody Guest

    Suggest you register it with Sky to have another OR visit
    after Christmas or the NY else they might close the case and
    not be so helpful/favourable next time you call.

    Woody, Dec 17, 2014
  8. David

    David Guest

    Good suggestion thanks.
    It is OK as the Sky chap that phoned to follow up if I was happy with OR
    after their visit has documented my concerns for the future on my
    records and also given me a phone number for his dept. so normal Support
    will be bye past.
    Regards
    David

    David, Dec 17, 2014
  9. Your upstream speed would be faster with fibre. It's probably around
    5Mb/s, rather than the 1Mb/s you were probably getting on ADSL.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Dec 17, 2014
  10. David

    David Guest

    Yes over 6 Mb
    Regards
    David

    David, Dec 17, 2014
  11. David

    rbel Guest

    My lowest FTTC average over a 4 week period was 11.7 down and 5.6 up,
    however in the last week I have been getting 13.8 down and 5.9 up.
    While the performance is still pathetic 16 months after moving to
    fibre, it is still much better than my ADSL was.

    rbel, Dec 18, 2014