    could set it to open a reminder in notepad.

    If anyone could help me with this problem it
    would be most appreciated.

    Tony, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Tony

    Snøøp¥ Guest

    I got this to work by setting a certain web page as my home page in Internet
    Explorer then set a scheduled task to open Internet Explorer.
    Don't know if this is a solution for you though.?

    Snøøp¥, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Tony

    Jared Guest

    Schedualed tasks only opens applications, not stand alone files, which
    is what the link becomes if you save it locally as an HTML document.
    Snoopy may have the idea on the matter.

    Jared, Aug 3, 2006
  4. Tony

    Whiskers Guest

    I'm not a Windows user, so this is just a guess, but shouldn't you set the
    scheduled task to be to launch your browser with the URL as an 'argument'
    to the launch command? A URL is not a 'task'; launching a web browser is.

    In Linux, I can issue a command such as

    opera -newwindow http://www.google.com/

    and the browser will start with that page displayed in a new window. I
    would be surprised if Windows couldn't do something like that.

    Whiskers, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I did think of setting the home page to the url I
    wanted to schedule, but really that seems to the long
    way round. As for scheduled tasks not opening stand alone
    files not sure about that as it will open a file saved with notepad
    which has a reminder within the text, looks like
    this will be the preferred option.

    Tony, Aug 3, 2006
  6. Tony

    Henry.Usenet Guest

    Jarad is right, the problem is that Scheduled Tasks needs to open an
    application. When you create a shortcut from within Internet Explorer,
    the application information is not stored with the shortcut. When you
    save a file with notepad, the application information is being saved as
    well.

    What you need to do is create a shortcut to IEXPLORE.EXE. Then, open
    the Properties for the shortcut. In the Target field on the Shortcut
    Tab, leave a space after the closing quote and then append the URL of
    the web page you want to open. When this shortcut is started with
    Scheduled Tasks, the browser opens at the specified page instead of the
    home page.

    Henry.Usenet, Aug 4, 2006
  7. Tony

    Henry Guest

    Jarad is right, the problem is that Scheduled Tasks needs to open an
    application. When you create a shortcut from within Internet Explorer,
    the application information is not saved with the shortcut. When you
    save a file with Notepad, the application information is saved as well.

    What you need to do is create a shortcut to IEXPLORE.EXE. Then open
    the Properties for the shortcut. In the Target field on the Shortcut
    tab, leave a space after the closing quote and then append the URL of
    the web page you want to open. When this shortcut is triggered by
    Scheduled Tasks, the browser will open at the specified page, instead
    of the home page.

    Henry, Aug 4, 2006
  8. Tony

    claron

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ah, thanks Henry. So you helped me figure out the best solution: in Scheduled Tasks, create a task to open Internet Explorer; once you're done creating this task, go to its Properties and in the "Run" box, after blahblahblah\iexplore.exe type the URL you want starting with http. Just tried it on XP, it works!

    claron, Nov 22, 2012