Open Doors to Open Source

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 9, 2006.

  1. Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 9, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Steve Guest

    Nice graphs. Pity they couldn't label the data or axes on most of them.
    Whilst I agree with the sentiment, this lack of real data makes this
    article little better than standard Microsoft FUD.

    Pity.

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 9, 2006

  3. Weren't the graphs produced by Netcraft?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 9, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    thingy Guest

    So maybe you should look closer at the data before dismissing
    it....First one is number of web servers out there, a more accurate
    graph can be found at netcraft, complete with numbers....

    The second is RH's shares on the nasdaq, public info and easy to verify...

    If you dismiss it that easily.....

    shrug....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 9, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Steve Guest

    Ah, so I need to go and look at another site off my own bat, just to find
    out what the published graph means? Good journalism there, then.
    Yup. I dismiss this article for the above reasons. As I said, I agree with
    the sentiment. A bit more work and the opposite would have been true.
    Steve

    Steve, Apr 9, 2006
  6. And were you born with a spoon in your mouth as well?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 9, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Steve Guest

    WTF does that mean? That it's normal to have to complete the journalists
    research?

    You seem to ignore the fact ( and snip from your reply ) that I am
    actually on the side of FLOSS, especially seeing as I make my living
    supporting linux servers.

    Lets be honest about this. The first graph, $deity knows what is actually
    is, has the heading:

    'Apache: On the Warpath: Apache is a free open source webserver that runs
    on most operating systems. The following graph shows how it has been
    taking market share from Microsoft's webserver (and others) since 1995.'

    How can it be 'taking market share from Microsoft's webserver' when is has
    been the single most popular web server since April 1996, before IIS
    existed. How can it be taking market share from linux, sun, hp...
    servers, where IIS doesn't run? See the original of the graph, with
    figures, at http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html. You
    can see that it has taken market share from NCSA and Sun/Netscape ( and
    other ), but clearly NOT Microsoft.

    Why do I, the reader, have to go and find what is misrepresented by sloppy
    journalism?

    Steve, Apr 9, 2006
  8. It was not "Journalism" - it was reportage.

    Journalism would be accurate, objective and unbiased.

    Have you not heard the expression "Born with a silver spoon in his mouth"?

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 9, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jerry Guest

    Or in the case of rock star's kids, born with a silver spoon in their noses.

    Jerry, Apr 10, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Steve Guest

    Steve, Apr 10, 2006
  11. LOLOL!

    Nice. :eek:)

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Apr 10, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    shannon Guest

    Its a substitute

    shannon, Apr 10, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Jerry Guest

    Years ago McDonalds had coffee stirring sticks that had a little spoon
    on the end. The became an official measure for one noseful of cocaine.
    Once McDonalds heard about that, they changed to the current design
    that looks like a little paddle.

    Jerry, Apr 11, 2006