Oodles of 64-bit goodness...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2005.

  1. Looking at this 64-bit SuSE 9.3 Linux install on a 64-bit Shuttle box...

    /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork (Apache) -- 64-bit executable
    /usr/sbin/mysqld -- 64-bit executable
    /bin/bash -- 64-bit executable
    /opt/MozillaFirefox/lib/firefox-bin -- 32-bit executable
    /usr/bin/perl -- 64-bit executable
    /usr/bin/php -- 64-bit executable
    file /bin/* | fgrep 64-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 90
    file /bin/* | fgrep 32-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 0
    file /usr/bin/* | fgrep 64-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 1576
    file /usr/bin/* | fgrep 32-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 36
    file /sbin/* | fgrep 64-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 181
    file /sbin/* | fgrep 32-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 2
    file /usr/sbin/* | fgrep 64-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 243
    file /usr/sbin/* | fgrep 32-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 4
    file /opt/kde3/bin/* | fgrep 64-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 479
    file /opt/kde3/bin/* | fgrep 32-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 13
    file /opt/gnome/bin/* | fgrep 64-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 255
    file /opt/gnome/bin/* | fgrep 32-bit | wc -l
    -- returns count of 3

    By my quick count, that means less than 3% of all the executables are
    32-bit. Is that a 64-bit system, or is that a 64-bit system...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2005

  2. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    I would love to have a high spec'd dual 64bit AMD. A tad pricey though. My
    Gento install would then be 100% 64bit (pother than the one or two apps not
    installed from source).

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Jul 19, 2005

  3. This machine is just a single-processor AMD--nothing too flash.

    But what gives me this warm feeling all over is that, if you want the
    purest 64-bit OS with top-to-bottom 64-bit application support, Linux
    has no competition today.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2005
  4. I'm sure that Alpha and UltraSPARC users would be interested to hear that
    they've been using not-entirely-64 bit systems for a lot of years now.
    Anything that runs on an Alpha has to be 64-bit, and I believe it's the
    same for UltraSPARC.

    Matthew Poole, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    PAM. Guest

    Not quite. :)

    still 3% off :)

    PAM.

    PAM., Jul 19, 2005
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    NT wasn't.

    AD., Jul 20, 2005
  7. Still got your old Alpha docs? Look up "TASO" ...

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2005
  8. Hi there,
    My Athlon64 3000+ with SuSE 9.2 Pro (updated KDE and quite a few apps
    that didn't get included with SuSE) yields...
    64-bit 32-bit
    /bin 90 0
    /usr/bin 1002 32
    /sbin 176 2
    /opt/kde3/bin 256 2
    /usr/sbin 201 2
    No gnome install...
    1763 total executables, only 38 32-bit ones, giving a total
    of 2.16% of 32-bit-ness...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 20, 2005
  9. Hi there,
    64-bit is nice. I've rendered some large animations with POV-ray, and
    I remember watching KDE 3.3 thumbnailing a directory of over a thousand
    720x576 PNG's (100MB of pictures)...it was the first time Konqueror had
    opened that directory so the PNG's were not thumbnailed...it took around
    30 seconds or more...cue 12 months later, just 2 days ago when I did a
    1550 frame POV-ray animation on our Athlon64 3000+...Konqueror opened
    and thumbnailed the entire directory (1550 720x576 PNG's, 134 MB total)
    in what I estimate to be under 5 seconds... :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 20, 2005
  10. D'Oh!

    Ooops, forgot to mention this thumbnailing 'test' was on an AthlonXP
    2500+ Barton core! :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 20, 2005
  11. Or, taking a weighted average, that's about 63.36 bits on that SuSE
    system, 63.31 bits on yours.

    I wonder how other 64-bit OSes compare. :)

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 20, 2005