    internet at once.
    the computers are all Dell 3100C with XP Home edition.

    Any help appreciated

    Guest, Oct 19, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    There is a limit of 5 connections for XP Home systems. The limit is 10 for
    XP Pro.

    Guest, Oct 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    Malke Guest

    This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that your network is
    wireless. You have run into the concurrent inbound connections
    limitation. The limitation is on *connections* not *computers*. Each
    computer can - and often does - make more than one connection to a
    server.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882

    concurrent connections:

    5 for XP Home
    10 for XP Pro/Tablet/MCE
    49 for SBS 2000
    74 for SBS 2003
    Unlimited for full Server O/Ses

    Your choices are to:

    1. Upgrade your pseudo-server to Pro. If you ever plan to add a few more
    computers, this will be a waste of money since you will quickly bump up
    against Pro's limitation.

    2. Upgrade your pseudo-server to a server operating system such as Small
    Business Server 2003.

    3. If you are only using the pseudo-server as a file server and not
    running Windows programs on it (which is what it sounds like from your
    description), install Linux on it.

    Malke

    Malke, Oct 20, 2006
  4. Ummm one other thing it may be:

    The D-Link G604T on the first edition of its firmware will only support 5
    sessions, no more. This may well apply to other devices too. Worth checking
    out with the manufacturer of the device.

    BTW, I have reported that to D-Link but never got a response. I haven't
    bothered with the update for it either as that office doesn't really need
    it.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Oct 20, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Malke:

    You got me thinking.

    I now got 4PC's networked at home, 5 counting the laptop, with software
    installed on all, but set up with one XP machine set up as a pseudo "file
    server", and "print server", on all day, where all the files are stored, and
    where it's backed up.

    I'm thinking of getting a network drive, network printer. Are you
    recommeding that I use a Linux file server instead of an XP machine as a
    server, or am I better off with a Microsoft SBS 2003.

    I never used Linux?? Do I just connect to the network. Or is it complicated
    enough to set a Linux server up to get a local consultant to do it at
    125.00/hour, or are there articles, links to show me how.

    The wife is thinking of a home based business, and the number of PC's may
    increase by yet another one or two.

    Guest, Oct 20, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Many thanks for all your feedback. which is appreciated and answers my question

    Guest, Oct 20, 2006