Online Petition for Netscape-branded Mozilla releases....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim Prather, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Jim Prather

    Jim Prather Guest

    http://www.petitiononline.com/saveNS/petition-sign.html?

    "Mozilla is Netscape is Mozilla!"

    Let's pressure AOL a bit so they release Netscape-branded builds
    of the Mozilla.org stable binaries. Even if just changing the
    logo and patching in the AIM/ICQ client (XUL and JS glue).

    The recent news that AOL has been toying with the idea of
    releasing some IE-launcher under the Netscape brand name SHOWS
    that they DO realize there is some market value to the "Netscape"
    brand and its "mind share".

    Plus, since Mozilla.org and Gecko engine development is going to
    be funded by and done outside of AOL, AOL has nothing to lose,
    financially, just put a small team of 4-5 guys to "brand" every
    Mozilla release.

    This could also be the official browser used by the low-cost ISP
    service "Netscape Online"....

    After all it's in AOL's best interest to keep those hits to the
    netscape.com portal coming, and most of them these days still
    come from Netscape Browser users....

    Food for thought. You might think it's pointless, that it won't
    work... but stranger things have happened. Please sign it and
    pass the link around.

    Jim Prather, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Jim Prather

    bb3 Guest

    bb3, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Jim Prather

    Jim Prather Guest

    ummmmmmm, Gary Davis may disagree. A petition cost him his job.
    Any petition can be a powerful voice.

    Jim Prather, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Jim Prather

    bb3 Guest

    Gray...
    That wasn't an e-petition. Those were verifiable signatures gathered by
    real people.

    bb3, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Jim Prather Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and

    Wasn't that Gray Davis?

    Anywho, name being irrelevent...those petitions were created, and
    people went door-to-door. What you're doing isn't even close...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 25, 2003
  6. Jim Prather

    Cisco Guest

    Doesn't matter....... still makes a strong statement. And,
    e-petition names can be verified (voter registration) same as
    paper. Why go door to door if you can do it on the net. Get with
    the times man. Besides, the petition helps to cut Bill Gates
    dominance of browsers.

    Cisco, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Jim Prather

    Offbreed Guest

    None of the people involved have to be doing what they are, and
    Netscape did us all a favor by turning loose Moz.

    Let's not screw with a good thing.

    Offbreed, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Cisco Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    How does recombining Netscape and Mozilla help fight Gates & Co?
    Mozilla is beginning to make a name for itself. Why screw up a good
    thing?

    And as far as petitions go, do you realize how hard it is to confirm
    all the John Smiths that might sign an e-petition without knowing
    their district? Or, less common names too, for that matter...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 26, 2003
  9. Jim Prather

    Cisco Guest

    give it a chance, it's evolving. How hard it is to find a person
    on the door to door list? Knock knock, did you sign this.....yes
    I did. e-petition, did you sign this.....yes I did.

    Cisco, Nov 26, 2003
  10. Jim Prather

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Why not just use Mozilla? With your plan, you'd still be using it
    anyway. Or you could probably just whip up your own "skin" for it to
    look how you like.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Nov 26, 2003