Ongoing Plusnet connection problem

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Derek F, Apr 5, 2015.

  1. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    After earlier problems with dropped connections, slow opening web pages
    and messages on Internet Explorer not working Plusnet turned on
    interleaving. The connection improved and for about two weeks and then
    reverted to the earlier state.
    This is the status yesterday with interleaving still on. What can be
    deduced from it?

    Link Information

    Uptime: 20 days, 8:27:37

    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 11,759

    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 2.53 / 42.62

    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0

    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.7 / 35.5

    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.4 / 9.1

    System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

    Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 17 / 0

    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0

    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

    Loss of Link (Remote): -

    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 14,009 / 0

    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 42,250 / 1,225,766

    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 691 / 20,931

    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 3,149 / 125,017

    Today after having turned off router yesterday.
    Link Information

    Uptime: 0 days, 13:01:08

    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 11,652

    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 65.25 / 1.45

    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0

    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.7 / 35.5

    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.7 / 9.3

    System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

    Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

    Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

    Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

    Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

    Loss of Link (Remote): -

    Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 204 / 0

    FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 27,183

    CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 282

    HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,196

    Doing a speed test I get an average download speed of 8.73 Mbps and
    upload of 0.7..

    Derek

    Derek F, Apr 5, 2015

  2. Derek F

    Graham J Guest

    Loss and SNR margin are similar.

    Errored seconds are roughly proportional to time connected - so error
    rate is probably fairly constant.

    I suggest some things to ping now (make notes of the results you get),
    and again when the problem manifests itself. The intention of these
    tests is to find out whether the problem is with name resolution, or
    with the ability of your connection to carry more than a few bytes per
    second. I have seen the latter problem more than once with TalkTalk.

    1) Ping the default gateway IP address indicated in your router (this is
    the first Plusnet router between you and the rest of the internet). It
    may change from time to time. Do you see any replies?

    2) Ping the DNS server indicated by your router. According to the
    Plusnet website this will be one of:

    Broadband and Dial-up DNS
    Primary 212.159.13.49
    Secondary 212.159.13.50
    Broadband and Dial-up DNS (alternative set)
    Primary DNS 212.159.6.9
    Secondary 212.159.6.10

    Do you get any replies?

    3) Ping a well-known public DNS server such as Google's at 8.8.8.8. Do
    you get any replies?

    4) Ping a website such as www.bbc.co.uk. This should initially show the
    result of the DNS lookup (i.e. the IP address) then the replies from
    that site. Does the name resolve? Do you get any replies? (If there's
    a major news story replies might be slow! Last time I saw this was the
    9/11 attacks in 2001.)

    5) Open a web browser at a very small website such as:
    https://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/tinyweb/
    Does the site display? Or does it only display part of itself?

    For this last test it is good policy to have your browser home page set
    to "Blank". This is achieved in Internet Explorer by having the home
    page set to "about:blank". Every other browser has a setting that
    allows this. So it's worth making a shortcut on your desktop to open
    your browser like this, which will ensure that the browser opens
    correctly and does not rely on an internet connection - and test this by
    breaking the network connection between the computer and the router to
    demonstrate that the browser does in fact open properly.

    6) If all the above tests give good replies, open your preferred speed
    test website and measure your download speed. Let us know if it is
    markedly different to what you usually see.

    Graham J, Apr 5, 2015

  3. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    Thank you, I will try that. It may take a while to get back to you.
    Tonight I tried to watch a programme om iPlayer on my Youview box. Each
    time I got to the programme it froze. At the third attempt it worked
    both on my computer and Youview box.
    Derek

    Derek F, Apr 5, 2015