    Dave Doe Guest

    Yeah but make sure the other bits *are* checked, just deleting the
    browser history won't help you here.

    Dave Doe, Nov 8, 2011

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I find it handy that they know my shopping habits.
    They send me an email every week showing which of my regular buys are on
    special.

    Of course if I bought large amounts of the two common items which can be
    used to make an explosive in the same week they might wonder.

    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2011

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Does Onecard wipe the points? I never heard of that.
    They just seem to carry them on until there are enough for a voucher.

    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2011
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2011
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2011
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    Countdown have replied and are looking into it.

    I'll let you know if they find any problem their end.

    Geopelia, Nov 8, 2011
  7. Then that web site is broken and you should tell them. You would be amazed
    how often things get fixed if you tell them ... and how little fixing
    happens if they don't know there's a problem. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 9, 2011
  8. You can choose in some case, but in others you can't. As I said, unless
    you want to live as a hermit (and you would have to break the law by not
    filling out the Census forms), you simply can't escape being tracked by
    various companies.[/QUOTE]

    I say you can choose in most cases. Lat time we bought something (shelves I
    think?) the shop wanted all sorts of information "for their records" -
    actually I think they said something like 'to enable the warranty' (!!).
    Many people would just have given it to them. They got nothing from me.

    Companies in particular need very little info. Let's make sure that's all we
    give them. :) If we make bad choices and continue to encourage them, they
    will continue to do it.Good for them; bad for us. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 9, 2011
  9. Most points / rewards schemes are simply about getting people spending
    money rather than companies bothering to track what you're buying ... they
    don't really care what you're buying as long as you ARE buying and buying
    from them instead of competitors. :)[/QUOTE]

    Ah ... not actually. Targeting marketing anyone ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 9, 2011
  10. <chortle> ... enquiring minds want to know what they say then ? :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 9, 2011
  11. ...and I *never* give my email address to companies without checking
    carefully what they say they will use it for. Often even an email enquiry
    gets your email added to thei list these days, despite the privacy
    requirements about using data for the purposes it was collected for only.
    Last thing I want is their advertising. Obviously mileages vary. :)

    ... they would probably target their next special on those at you instead.
    As long as they are selling they don't care. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 9, 2011
  12. Yep. :)
    Have to admit, I use a farmlands card for pretty much everything these days,
    and haven't used cash for ages. Farmlands is still a 'sign for' card, but
    yes, of course they can track where and when.

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 9, 2011
  13. Geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    It's not the website at fault this time. I know it's this almost 15 year
    old computer (with a 10 year old version of MacOS X) that has problems
    with some websites that require a newer version of Flash or JavaScript. It
    worked fine on the newer laptop used by someone else.

    Although ... I haven't tried it recently, so maybe the changeover from
    Foodtown to Countdown has caused it to work. Would be worth another try
    when I have a few minutes spare online time.

    Your Name, Nov 9, 2011
  14. Geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Nope. According to the "rules" Onecard points expire after six months This
    is from the FAQ page of the Onecard website:

    Does the move to four Rewards mean that the life of my
    Onecard points has changed?

    No ­ your Onecard points will still last for six months.

    Does that mean that I have less time to earn enough
    points for Rewards?

    If you were to qualify for every Rewards mailing you now
    have three months to earn the 200 points required for a
    Reward. But, your points are still valid for six months
    so most points should be valid for two rounds of Rewards
    before they expire.

    Your Name, Nov 9, 2011
  15. Geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Your Name, Nov 9, 2011
  16. Geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Your Name, Nov 9, 2011
  17. Geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    As the quote goes: There's a sucker born every minute. And that's what the
    scumbag scammers hope for. :-(

    There was an article in the NZ Herald a couple of weeks ago about a lawyer
    who was being charged with stealing money from a trust ... and he stole
    (and lost) it to pay "inheritance" scammers - those idiotic emails that
    promise a massive percentage of a ridiculously unblieveable amount of
    money. Supposedly he even flew to Amsterdam and was shown pallette loads
    of "money". :-\

    Your Name, Nov 9, 2011
  18. Geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    <snip>

    I get a similar reaction whenever I'm asked for a mobile phone number ...
    but I really don't have, nor need nor want, a mobile phone. :)

    Your Name, Nov 9, 2011
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I don't have a mobile either. I would only need it to talk with Hubby when
    I'm out of the house.
    We have St John's button for health emergencies.

    But if I had a boat, or went for long tramps in the bush, I would get a
    mobile.

    Geopelia, Nov 9, 2011
  20. It's not the website at fault this time. I know it's this almost 15 year
    old computer (with a 10 year old version of MacOS X) that has problems
    with some websites that require a newer version of Flash or JavaScript. It
    worked fine on the newer laptop used by someone else.[/QUOTE]

    No, I call that web site broken. If it *requires* all that crap, it is non
    standard and, by definition, broken. :) There are quite a few of them out
    there and they need to know that their site is unusable by at least some. :)
    I certainly don't bother with that kind of site ... just cos they want to
    show me pretty pictures doesn't mean I have to watch them. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 9, 2011