One stop digital "developing"?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Alexander, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. In the days of film, you dropped off a roll at the local developer and
    got back prints (with the date on the back) and negatives. I'm
    dreaming of something similar in software: plug your camera in, it
    prints out your pictures, prints out stickers with the date to put on
    the back of each print (since duplex printing is too much to ask for),
    and burns a CD with the original images (the equivalent of getting
    your negatives).

    I'd also want to have (and I realize this adds a step) the ability to
    add a description of the picture to that sticker and have that
    description stored with the picture.

    I realize that some album software does some of this. What's missing
    is:

    - Adding the description to the picture. Yeah, I know album programs
    will save descriptions in a database for you. But the description
    belongs in the picture itself, in an industry standard format (e.g.
    the EXIF format for JPEGs). Album programs I've seen don't let you
    edit the EXIF.

    - Printing out stickers to label the pictures.

    - An industry standard way of storing the pictures and their metadata
    on CD, i.e. with EXIF embedded in the file. A manufacturer's format
    database is no good. I've been using computers since the days of paper
    tape and punch cards and I can tell you this: you won't be able to
    read a proprietary database 20 years from now.

    - Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I don't want to store my pictures online
    and worry about managing them. I want them in a photo album and on a
    CD. The picture in the album should have info on the back that lets me
    find the original on the CD.

    Does anyone know of a program that fits the bill?

    Thanks,
    Bob Alexander

    Bob Alexander, Feb 14, 2004

  2. When and if there are many people who want to do the same things, it will
    make sense for someone to make the hardware. If you think there are many
    people now, you have an opportunity to be an entrepreneur. There are many
    examples of people who got rich by recognizing that a new market exists.
    There are also many, unsung, who lost their shirts that way. It is called
    free enterprise.

    Marvin Margoshes, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Bob Alexander

    bob Guest

    (Bob Alexander) wrote in
    [...]

    Other than the last part, you can already do that. Take your CF card to
    Wal-Mart, stick it in the kiosk, type in your name, come back after you
    finish shopping and pick up your prints. For an extra fee they will burn
    your CD too.

    You can print stickers out at home, but I would not do that, because you
    don't know what's in the glue. A soft (#1) pencil is a better choice.
    Write lightly with a hard surface under the print.

    As for a standard way to attach data to pictures, I think putting a text
    file on the disc with the same name as the photo is almost as good.
    IMG0001.jpg and IMG0001.txt

    Bob

    bob, Feb 16, 2004
  4. Bob Alexander

    Drifter Guest

    (Bob Alexander) wrote in
    Yeah, I kept adding summaries to the EXIF data and then found out
    (after the fact) that some photo programs strip that data out without
    telling you <sigh>. I wound up writing a small batch file so that
    when I take a large number of photos I can put all of the photos in a
    folder with that batch file and it will auto-create a .txt file for
    each photo. Then I go back and enter my notes, etc for each photo. I
    do wish I was enough of a programmer to make that batch file put the
    EXIF data into each of the text files though.

    Drifter

    Drifter, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Bob Alexander

    CJEBS Guest

    I'm not even that much of a programmer. I'd love to see that batch file.

    CJEBS, Feb 16, 2004
  6. Bob Alexander

    Drifter Guest

    I'm not even that much of a programmer. I'd love to see that batch file.

    Okay, I sent a copy to your email address. Let me know if you like
    it.

    Drifter.

    Drifter, Feb 16, 2004
  7. Bob Alexander

    CJEBS Guest

    Thank you again for the batch file. I love it!

    CJEBS, Feb 16, 2004
  8. Bob Alexander

    Drifter Guest

    Sure, no problem.