ONE PC won't see the others but will connect via Remote Desktop, sort of

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by SteveC, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. SteveC

    SteveC Guest

    Having trouble with wife's PC; it will connect to notebook and my PC using
    Remote Desktop if we enter the IP address instead of the name (\\notebook) .
    Have tried the suggestions on here (cleaning out the network entries in
    registry), binding file sharing to netbuei, disabling all firewalls, etc.

    Here is the network:

    DSL modem; Linksys 54G wireless router

    2 computers (identical) one plugged into the router (A), the other set up
    with a linksys wireless adapter USB (B)
    1 notebook (linksys wireless PC card adapter)

    WindowsOneCare firewall, WindowsXP professional SP 2 on all

    Wireless computer has always had trouble seeing the plugged-in one, but the
    Notebook and plugged-in computer have no problems. I have turned off the
    firewall; makes no difference. I have run and re-run ad nauseam the Network
    wizard and even renamed the network to the preferred name of MSHome.

    I have all the files on the plugged in computer in the Shared Documents
    folder. I even reshared the folder and checked the allow to change files
    box. I get computer B to see the files once in a while, but it coughs when
    it tries to open them and usually want finish doing so before it has stopped
    seeing the file.

    SteveC, Feb 17, 2006

  2. SteveC

    SteveC Guest

    Well, I never got a reply to my posts but from reading others I kept trying
    suggestions. This afternoon I decided to turn everything off at the same
    time: router, all computers, then started them back one at a time and voila,
    it works. It never occurred to me to do that. I knew it was something to
    do with network naming and IP configuration, so it makes sense.

    So the forum is a good use just for brainstorming. Thanks.

    SteveC, Feb 17, 2006