one of those prefer bullet to head Windows probs - 0xc010002

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaaBoF, Jun 13, 2010.

  1. MaaBoF

    MaaBoF Guest

    I depend on dingbat little program - Motorola Phone Tools - which
    worked fine for years until yesterday. When I try to open it I now
    get a smart little:

    "The application failed 0xc010002 to initialize properly,
    click ok to terminate the application."

    Runs XP on a crappy Thinkpad - all outdated but hey - MTP
    always transferred my cellphone files back and forth to
    this old comp.

    I goggled that number/issue - wide range of similar testimonials
    aka results, any I tried, no fix.

    Registry issues some said - dl'd a program
    that suposedly fixes those registry things - which ended up
    wanting/begging money to function. Grumble.

    Why does MPT calf itself everytime now in spite of reloading it
    from an original CD, after cleaning MTP out each time as advised
    to get rid of previous installs. Worked like a charm for years,

    /A refurbished iMac makes a lot of sense at times like this.

    tia

    MaaBoF, Jun 13, 2010

  2. MaaBoF

    nut Guest

    Good excuse to blat the laptop and do a clean install?

    nut, Jun 13, 2010

  3. MaaBoF

    chuckcar Guest

    And this program was written for *What* operating system exactly? If it was
    written for anything before XP, you're clearly forgetting the compatibility
    settings from the other computer.

    chuckcar, Jun 13, 2010
  4. MaaBoF

    Meat Plow Guest

    Formatting your C:\ drive will solve the "application failed" issue.

    Meat Plow, Jun 13, 2010
  5. MaaBoF

    MaaBoF Guest

    Windows one assumes. I've had it running on this Windows XP box for 3
    years. Manages cell phone numbers, text msgs, and multimedia stuff like
    tones and pictures.

    MaaBoF, Jun 13, 2010
  6. MaaBoF

    MaaBoF Guest

    Been there, posted issue - no cigar or help from them. (so far)
    A return to picking back through Google queries:
    ~found~
    "The error is indeed due to a wrong version of a DLL.
    Not sure which one but the installer doesn't obviously try to install the
    correct version.
    I guess some assumptions have been made about system requirements.
    Disk supplied with my phone didn't work and came up with the error that
    everyone else got.
    I tried the fix posted in this thread and it didn't work straight away.
    Installing .NET framework 2.0 did fix it after the other stuffing around."
    ~eof~

    So:
    Assuming that's the fix, I tried installing .NET framework 2.0 and
    of course rather than working like a charm, this piece of Windows
    crap advises me that ".NET framework 2.0 is not compatible with
    the previous version of .NET framework" on this laptop.

    As a lay person idgit, I've no idea what the "previous version" of
    ..NET framework running on this laptop even is.

    Searching add/remove programs on the laptop shows:
    ..Net Framework 1.1
    ..Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix
    ..Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    ..Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    ..Net Framework 3.5 SP1

    More importantly why after working for 2/3 yrs
    would this error with opening the MPT program
    be happening when nothing on the computer was changed.

    MaaBoF, Jun 13, 2010
  7. MaaBoF

    chuckcar Guest

    No assumption involved. Of course it's *some* version of MS Windows, the
    question is *which*.
    So you clearly don't know what compatibility setting are. They allow you to
    run programs from earlier version of windows that normally won't run under
    XP. Hence your error message.

    chuckcar, Jun 13, 2010
  8. MaaBoF

    Aardvark Guest

    Why do you behave as if the concept is a surprise to you, mate? I learnt
    of it at the age of twelve.

    I understood the logic then, but it wasn't until later I realised the
    ethical aspects.

    Aardvark, Jun 14, 2010
  9. MaaBoF

    MaaBoF Guest

    dirty batnards is what they are then

    MaaBoF, Jun 14, 2010
  10. MaaBoF

    chuckcar Guest

    Further to the *actual* problem. Are you *absolutely* sure that that is the
    complete and literal error message and there is nothing else to it. In
    particular, sometimes the title bar of the relevant popup has something
    else on it as well.

    I mention this because the grammar of the above isn't proper at all. In
    addition, Microsoft Technet - their database of possible software problems
    with all their software returns absolutely nothing on a search with the
    above. That least to the next paragraph - it *isn't* a problem with
    any microsoft software at all.

    Finally, have you tried backing up your relevant data files, uninstalling
    that application, restarting and then reinstalling it from the source
    media?

    chuckcar, Jun 14, 2010
  11. MaaBoF

    anyone Guest

    hahahaha!!
    ....must be missing the kb-SayWhatYouMean patch.

    anyone, Jun 14, 2010
  12. MaaBoF

    MaaBoF Guest

    "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc010002)
    click on ok to terminate the application."

    Verbatum

    Type 0xc010002 Motorola Phone tools

    into Google - you'll see the hits for .NET framework 2.0 being the fix.

    When I try to install .NET framework 2.0 it fails - Windows barfs up some
    shit about it not being compatible with previous .NET framework running.

    Windows is shit, Macs (OSX) rock, the minute I get a used Mac for the
    right money and move any files I need to the web for storage, I will prop
    this laptop up on a rock overlooking a blue lake in Norhtern Ontario and
    put a 12 gauge deer slug directly through it. Problem solved and no
    Windows machine will ever be allowed in my home again.

    nothing else - n o t h i n g <------------

    ..NET framework 2.0 is fix AND a problem <---------- it is Windows.

    Yes. Had that worked I would have never posted to 24hshd

    Thanks

    MaaBoF, Jun 15, 2010
  13. MaaBoF

    chuckcar Guest

    That might be the source of your problem to begin with. Uninstalling *all*
    ..NET versions and then just installing it clean. Things corrupt and in
    consumer MS windows it happens easier than pretty much any other OS.
    BTW we get a *lot* of partial, incomplete and "made up" (or incorectly
    remembered to be fair) error messages - when we get them at *all*. So please
    don't take offence. The precise message is crucial in these things.
    And you never posted you had - so I had to ask. Most people never even try
    anything relevant to fixing the problem before posting here.

    Alternativly, you *could* just completely uninstall .NET and use this
    instead:

    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

    See: available for XP - despite MS's marketing practices.

    chuckcar, Jun 16, 2010
  14. MaaBoF

    MaaBoF Guest

    Now, if I do that will I get one of those dreaded notifications telling me
    that the version of Windows I'm using is not registered and blah blah
    Microsoft won't do shit until I prove I'm not running some cracked
    version of Windows which I am because the techie punk upstairs loaded it
    up for me from some bootleg disks he has?

    IOW, sometimes I';m asked/told to put the Windows CD in to get something
    done and because I don't have the CD I have to bail out.

    IOW, is the .NET 2.0 install independent of all that crap that makes
    Windows so unbearable? worse still, when I go to control
    panel--->add/remove programs, .NET 2.o appears to be on the damn box
    already. So WTF -how is reloading 2.0 going to fix anything?

    The above questions all depend on the answers being in my favor relative
    to what I've explained... capiche?

    WTH is it?
    looking...

    doing nothing until I hear back on the above re 2.0 and my craxored
    Windows w/o disks.

    MaaBoF, Jun 16, 2010
  15. MaaBoF

    MaaBoF Guest

    heh, keep him honest Evan!

    MaaBoF, Jun 16, 2010
  16. MaaBoF

    MaaBoF Guest

    Eesh man, I've got Java coming out the yinyang - everytime I tunr around
    somepopup is telling me that a new Java bitch is ready to download. Is
    this link of yours anything different to the legions of Java updates I've
    clicked yes to over the years.

    NB: I am not a install/Windows savvy guy. I write some perl and make it
    with a push in the dark on a Unix box but Windows as you know is hell.
    Extra hell for me because I expect it all to run like the Macs I used for
    decades in the graphic design industry always did.

    Yea, again a headache. One version "online" one version "offline"

    Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Online
    filesize: ~ 10 MB * Instructions Verify Now

    Windows 7/XP/Vista/2000/2003/2008 Offline
    filesize: 15.9 MB Instructions

    WTF one do i want then? And how in hell is it going to do what .NET does
    and allegedly fix MPT? eeesh.

    Tough questions - tougher answers

    ~~~~and of course another to fu** me right up.

    » Information about the 64-bit Java plug-in

    !~
    This laptop is ten yrs old - Thinkpad - doubt very much it's 64 bit.
    Why don't I upgrade? ----------> too lazy, it works, I got Usenet.

    endo of storio

    MaaBoF, Jun 16, 2010
  17. MaaBoF

    chuckcar Guest

    Your *processor* is 64 bit. The version is *made* for XP. Every single
    Intel processor beyond the P1 is 64 bit. Do you not want a fix?

    1. You *can't* have both Java and .NET installed on the same computer -
    they do the same thing. In addition windows doesn't like them both being
    installed. Quite possibly your real problem.

    2. Apparently (you didn't tell us until now that you have Java installed
    as well) .NET messes up your programs.

    3. What do you think the only possible solution will be?

    chuckcar, Jun 16, 2010
  18. MaaBoF

    chuckcar Guest

    You clearly don't read any of his posts.

    chuckcar, Jun 16, 2010
  19. I've an Intel 3.2 GHz P4 in this box on my desk.
    Quite possibly *your* real problem is that you don't know jack. Who else
    but you would even think that Java and .NET were the same thing?
    Given valid installs, neither Java nor .NET will "mess up your
    programs."
    The only *possible* solution is for you to cease and desist posting
    *crap*. You constantly post false information on purpose, don't you?
    There can't be any other reason for your apparent gross lack of any
    intelligence.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 16, 2010
  20. MaaBoF

    G. Morgan Guest

    Is somebody logging all these stupid comments? They would make great .sig
    files.

    Somebody better come over here and fix my 3 machines that all seem to have .Net
    and Java installed working perfectly. I also have Silverlight installed on
    them, I bet that is really fouling things up.

    G. Morgan, Jun 16, 2010